Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Braintree 0 Charlton 9

edited July 2008 in General Charlton
Braintree fielded a team of mostly trialists in the first half and were 7 - 0 down by half time. Charlton fielded a team of youngsters with a few of first team squad thrown in. Surprise of the day was to see Todorov on the bench. Charlton's first goal was attributed by the announcer to 'Sam Lloyd'!

Holland - Limped off in first half after a hefty challenge (he didn't look to pleased)

Dickson - Class! scored a hat trick and looked dangerous in afternoon. Good hold up play and made some good runs.

Sam Lloyd - Tricky and pacey in bursts, scored a cracking fist goal but missed several sitters as well.

Wright - Impressive in midfield and ran the show after Holland went off. Must be close to a first team chance.

Todorov - Came on at half time. Plain to see why he hasn't featured in any games yet, woefully short of match fitness. Didn't put a tackle in all afternoon (probably under instructions). Showed some good touches and scored a cracking header. Probably a few weeks off of the first team.

Mambo - (No. 6) big lad, good be ok if he keeps improving.

Most of the youngsters played ok. Was impressed with the lad at right back but didn't catch his name.

Braintree was a nice little ground (hard to find though!) with a good club house and excellent and reasonably priced burgers/hotdogs. The lad whose testimonial it was raised nearly £3000 for himself - good luck to him!

Comments

• Options
    Cheers Al. Must have been a reasonable turn out if the game raised nearly £3000.
  • Options
    Was the right back a short blond haired lad? if so it was Chris Solly
  • Options
    Thats for the Essex - could to see Toddy getting a run out. Hope Matt's injury is not too bad.

No report on OS Henry...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: TelinOz[/cite]Was the right back a short blond haired lad? if so it was Chris Solly

I really like this Solly - saw him for the youth team last season and he was great in the tackle - but a bit lightweight.

If he develops physically he will be a great player
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: TelinOz[/cite]Was the right back a short blond haired lad? if so it was Chris Solly[/quote]

Yes that sounds like him, looked very useful. Wright and Dickson best two players on the day for us though. I know everyone is raving about Shelvey at the moment but Josh Wright can't be far behind him. I would be surprised if he doesn't break into the first team this season. When Harry Arter comes back from injury, I reckon we wil have some real young midfield talent at the club, good to see!

Dickson has a real eye for goal. I wasn't too sure about him last season, but he seems to have come on a lot. I know he was only playing against Braintree yesterday, but he looked keen, eager and hungry for goals - very impressed.
  • Options
    Wright didn't shine, IMHO, v Bromley but that was the first game out.

I really rate Solly from seeing him in the youth team. More importantly Steve Gritt really rates him as well saying he rarely gets beaten despite his height, loves a tackle and has good postional sense.

But like all the kids still young and kids will make mistakes including Shelvey. Just hope if they do get games the crowd don't destroy them after the first missed sitter or goal conceded.
  • Options
    Agree there Henry. Great we have a good crop of sprouts coming through but they must be protected from early frost.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Wright didn't shine, IMHO, v Bromley but that was the first game out.

I really rate Solly from seeing him in the youth team. More importantly Steve Gritt really rates him as well saying he rarely gets beaten despite his height, loves a tackle and has good postional sense.

But like all the kids still young and kids will make mistakes including Shelvey. Just hope if they do get games the crowd don't destroy them after the first missed sitter or goal conceded.

Spot on Henry. It's so important that we don't put too much pressure on these youngsters. It is good though that we have some real talent pushing up from the bottom. The first time for a few years.
  • Options
    Saw Solly in the Sheff Utd youth cup game, looked like a good player then.

Did he actually sign that pro contract they were talking about on the OS? I assume he did it was just never confirmed.

Wright needs to be involved in the first team, can't see how Pardew rates him that much behind Shelvey, or even rates Wagstaff and Sinclair higher. He could have played at Ebbsfleet considering we started Basey in central midfield.
  • Options
    nothing on the OS about the game which is a shame
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Essex_Al[/cite]Dickson has a real eye for goal. I wasn't too sure about him last season, but he seems to have come on a lot. I know he was only playing against Braintree yesterday, but he looked keen, eager and hungry for goals - very impressed.

I think he'll be one of the main 4 strikers this season - Gray/Todorov and Varney/Dickson.

Bent and Big Chris will go, Fleetwood will go somewhere on loan if wanted, and maybe McLeod too for fitness when he comes back.
  • Options
    Mcleods out till xmas aint he? Fleetwood can be in the reserves or cup perhaps?
  • Options
    Anyone used to go to The Barn in Braintree in the 80's? Top Essex nightspot.
    Not sure why I went to be honest.....made a change from Goochies and Danielles I guess.....
  • Options
    4 goals for Dicko, according to the OS.
  • Options
    Yes I noticed that myself, I think one of the goals was debateable as to who got the final touch, obviously it has been credited to Dicko.
  • Options
    Sure sign of a good striker - any doubt, he claims it!
  • Options
    I think it's obvious Dicko has an eye for goal and that's priceless.

Gills fans said his link up play was pants, or he didn't hold the ball up well enough.....well I couldn't care less - he was their top scorer last year and only played half a season
  • Options
    Turns out that Charlton's right back was Sam Long not Solly - played well and scored a good goal!