Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ZZ

edited July 2008 in General Charlton
BEIJING (Reuters) - Charlton Athletic midfielder Zheng Zhi will lead China's under-23 squad at next month's Beijing Olympic soccer tournament, local media reported on Monday.

Zheng, who turns 28 next month, together with defender Li Weifeng, 29, and striker Han Peng, 24, have been selected as the three over-age players by China's Serbian coach Ratomir Dujkovic, the Beijing Daily said.

"It is my dream to march into the Olympic final in the Bird's Nest, as the coach has said," Zheng told the paper after scoring a penalty in a 4-0 warm-up victory over Malaysia in Jilin province at the weekend.

Regular captain and playmaker of the senior team, Zheng suffered back and toe injuries during China's failed bid to progress past the third round of Asian qualification for the 2010 World Cup.

"I want to get myself back into top form before the Games ... I have been recovering well and I hope all my injuries can heal in the next 20 days," he said.

Comments

• Options
    Great so he is already completley knackered, injured and in need of a rest, now going to play the games, doubt we'll see him to early November
  • Options
    The OS says he's been struggling with a back injury and playing through the pain barrier. Just what we need an injured, tired, lightweight midfielder. He started quite well for us but when he started going off on international duty he became a liability. Wish we could get shot of him.
  • Options
    Give the guy a break ......he's on the threshold of achieving a personal lifetime ambition to lead his country in the Olympic games they themselves are hosting. Do people on here really begrudge him that chance?

That doesn't mean he's not committed to Charlton.

At Championship level, he's a quality goalscoring midfielder - a class above what we can now probably afford to attract - but people say they wish they could get shot of him?
  • Options
    Well said Oggy
  • Options
    I begrudge CAFC paying for the fulfilment of his lifetime ambition by then having to cope with an underperforming, crocked player when he comes back. He certainly didn't look like a quality goalscoring midfielder in the second half of the season. He looked like a tired, half-fit, easily dispossesed midfielder and this summer escapade will not have improved things.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Give the guy a break ......he's on the threshold of achieving a personal lifetime ambition to lead his country in the Olympic games they themselves are hosting. Do people on here really begrudge him that chance?

That doesn't mean he's not committed to Charlton.

At Championship level, he's a quality goalscoring midfielder - a class above what we can now probably afford to attract - but people say they wish they could get shot of him?

That may well be true but if he is always injured/knackered from international duty, whats the point?

Bully for him and his "personal lifetime ambition" persoanlly I couldn't give a toss, all I'm interested in is what he does for Charlton and based on his performances of the second half of last season, Nadou has a valid point imo.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Nadou[/cite]I begrudge CAFC paying for the fulfilment of his lifetime ambition by then having to cope with an underperforming, crocked player when he comes back. He certainly didn't look like a quality goalscoring midfielder in the second half of the season. He looked like a tired, half-fit, easily dispossesed midfielder and this summer escapade will not have improved things.[/quote]

I hope you never qualify for the Olympics and have to ask your employer for time off....
  • Options
    I would expect my employer to be very peed off if he gave me time off for the Olympics and I came back unable to do my job.
  • Options
    having internationals is always a double edged sword for these reasons, overall however I think clubs see it as good to have 'high achievers' like this around, and hopefully they also play decent football for us.
  • Options
    I think the club will be semi-secretly hoping that ZZ has a great Olympics and a decent European club come in and try and buy him prior to August 31st.

We can't capitalise on his commerical aspects while in the Championship and he is in his last year of his contract. Decisions, decisions.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    spot on..
  • Options
    He is an important integral part of the planning for next season and onwards according to what we heard at the City Addicks
  • Options
    "however I think clubs see it as good to have 'high achievers' like this around."

As would most businesses worth their salt.
  • Options
    do we get financially compensated in any way for the times he is away with his country ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ChicagoAddick[/cite]"however I think clubs see it as good to have 'high achievers' like this around."

As would most businesses worth their salt.

That the point though, he isn't "around" often enough and when he is he's too knackered to perform like a "high achiever"!!
  • Options
    Even if ZZ should miss the first couple of months of the season - he would then come back into contention 'rested' and raring to go - perhaps just as we have a run of injuries and a key play missing.

It would be like a new signing, especially a player of his ability.