Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

At Last - Marcus Bent has left the building !!!!

edited July 2008 in General Charlton
He has gone
Birmingham City have completed the signing of striker Marcus Bent, Charlton confirmed on Wednesday afternoon.

The forward has moved to the West Midlands in a deal that could be worth in excess of £1m to the Addicks, and has signed a three-year contract at St Andrews.

Bent had been linked with fellow Championship club Cardiff City over the weekend, when manager Alan Pardew admitted that the striker could be on his way out of The Valley, but it was Birmingham who snapped up the striker.

Bent started the first four league and cup games for Charlton last season, netting the club's opening Championship goal against Scunthorpe United, before joining Wigan Athletic on loan for the remainder of the campaign, playing a key role in their successful battle against relegation from the Premier League

Comments

• Options
    Good riddance, hard for me to remember a player in our shirt i've despised so much.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I can only echo what AFKA posted.

He is one of the first choices in my hated Charlton XI (Although, I'm not sure I have a full XI yet..)
  • Options
    "in a deal that could be worth in excess of £1m to the Addicks" - I'd be interested to find out how much we get up front. Although getting his wages off the books is the main thing I suppose
  • Options
    Could be worth in excess of a million?

So we've been shafted...he's worth £1.5
  • Options
    Just need to get Faye moved out ASAP
  • Options
    Faye---Traore---Jeffers---MBent

£8/9 million cost to CAFC + their wages niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
  • Options
    he's worth what someone is willing to pay.

Given clubs know of our willingness to offload, we were never going to get top market value for him.

Marcus has ability, but also attitude problems. Other people in football will be aware of this given the amount of clubs he has had, which is why its taken so long to offload him i presume.

I hope we get in the region of 750k up front and the rest on appearances, but i suspect the up front is a bit lower.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Good riddance, hard for me to remember a player in our shirt i've despised so much.

Couldn't agree more -
  • Options
    If you include what we got from Wigan last season (loan fee + staying up bonus + them paying his wages), we did alright out of him.

He hasn't cost the club much in wages over the last year, and they've got well in excess of £1m in fees (Wigan and Brum payments put together).
  • Options
    YYEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Plus we got a bonus payment from Wigan as a result of them staying up.

Bye bye though, i'm sure you'll get a good reception on your return to The Valley...
  • Options
    just add him to the collection of ex-players that we can boo....
  • Options
    Yeah....he was cetainly something of a waste of space wasn't he.
    Saw his goal scoring ratio stats on here yesterday since he became a pro, not very impressive were they,certainly not good enough for all the money he's generated for his transfer fees and not least himself.
    Something of a con man if you ask me, who's reputation 'far' exceeds his ability.
    Birmingham have bouhgt a pup as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    .... and probably score against us.

I rarely hated any Charlton players in my 30-odd years. In fact, can't think of any top of my head, but he is a complete ninny.
  • Options
    pitcher
  • Options
    There'll be dancing in the streets of SE7 tonight!
  • Options
    Buzzing he has gone, he is a waste of a carbon footprint.
  • Options
    it beggers belief that at least two Clubs still wanted him despite his poor goalscoring record and the fact of the high wages he's on. And a 3 year deal from Brum, he must be laughing all the way to the Bank. I don't hate him, we, Curbs, were mug enough to buy him and it seems there is always another mug willing to take a chance on him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]pitcher

and Murphy imo
  • Options
    Apologies for swearing earlier :-D
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    lot of venom here, can't say I echo it. I never read the tabs etc and have no idea who his celebrity girlfriend is, so any antipathy arising out of this passes me by!

He was generally uninspiring to start with and I never understood why we bust a gut to buy him, but under Pards I thought he was 100% committed and was unlucky not to score several goals and he played well in a poor team. Hope I am wrong but I think Brum have now got a strike partnership to fire them to the title.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]I think Brum have now got a strike partnership to fire them to the title.

A couple of years ago maybe, but I think both are looking for a last big payday. I am very hopeful for Varney and Gray partnership with Todorov and Dikcon having a lot to say this year as well. Don't think scoring will be our problem this year!!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    llama.gif
  • Options
    If he didn't ask for a transfer, do we have to pay up the rest of his contract?
    How much were Cardiff prepare to put up front?
  • Options
    Deep joy he has gone, but the most important question is .....was it in time to not now sell Bougherra ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Deep joy he has gone, but the most important question is .....was it in time to not now sell Bougherra ?
    You tell us
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Deep joy he has gone, but the most important question is .....was it in time to not now sell Bougherra ?

was going to ask you that, surely that depends on how much money we needed to raise.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Nug[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]I think Brum have now got a strike partnership to fire them to the title.

A couple of years ago maybe, but I think both are looking for a last big payday. I am very hopeful for Varney and Gray partnership with Todorov and Dikcon having a lot to say this year as well. Don't think scoring will be our problem this year!!!!

Scoring SHOULDN'T be a problem I agree but an attack is only as good as the service from midfield and that is where we sadly lack....
  • Options
    Lets hope Boug stays
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]

was going to ask you that, surely that depends on how much money we needed to raise.

Well with McCarthy Gone, Big Chris Gone, M Bent Gone, Thatcher Gone we must be getting there though my gut feeling says it's all too little too late!