Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lisbie

Remember when he said he couldn't possibly leave Colchester after everything they had done for him .... well ... this is what he says now ..

Colchester United striker Kevin Lisbie is expecting to sign for Ipswich Town after undergoing a medical.

Lisbie scored 17 goals for the U's last season after joining from Charlton Athletic, but is set to leave after the club's relegation to League One.

The 29-year-old admits it has been a difficult decision to quit Colchester, but believes the club understand his desire to stay in the Championship.

"It's not all sorted yet, but I've had a medical and I believe that I've played my last game for Colchester," Lisbie told the East Anglian Daily Times.

"It's just up to my representative to finalise the terms. It's not confirmed yet, but when everyone is happy and all the negotiations are done, then I should be signing for Ipswich.

"This has been the most difficult decision of my career, because I have made more friends at Colchester in one year than I managed in all my time at Charlton.

"I had a fantastic year at Colchester. But I've proved that I can score lots of goals in the Championship, and that's where I want to stay.

"I was playing in the Premiership only a year or so ago, so I don't want to drop down two divisions, especially at this time of my career.

"The club understands my position. I still had a couple of years left on my contract, so hopefully they will get a good deal, but not the £1m that was mentioned as the price tag put on my head. I'm too old to be commanding that sort of fee."

Comments

• Good luck to him.
  • yeah good luck
  • Billy No-Mates at Charlton, then.
  • edited July 2008
    "This has been the most difficult decision of my career, because I have made more friends at Colchester in one year than I managed in all my time at Charlton.

My heart bleeds for him
  • [cite]Posted By: Greenster[/cite]I'm too old to be commanding that sort of fee.
    Old?! He's such a up and coming youngster
  • now mulling over an improved offer from Colchester according to EADT
  • [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]

My heart bleeds for him

To be fair, he was probably the big fish at Colchester, apart from Sherringham.

How many of their players had played at all the Premier League grounds and rubbed shoulders with established initernationals at The Valley - and played against some of the best footballers in the world?

And he probably dined out off his 'I scored a hat trick against Liverpool' and 'Paolo Di Canio hero worshipped me' stories.
    So players at Colchester looked up to him - he would have been a world-beater in training.

At Charlton he was small fry, comparitively small wages and Curbs always looked after him.
    He was busy making his large family so probably didn't join in with the clubbing scene.