Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worries for this year

1) I suspect Shelvey will come straight in until ZZ is back from Olympics then they'll be rotated which will mean that Clean Shorts will get the holding role and our midfield will be as porous as it has since Parker left.

2) I'm still not sure he knows the best centre back partnership - he'll start with Hudson but will be unsure whether Magic will be off, so may not play him. He'll dabble with a new signing, Fortune and perhaps Semedo.

3) Ditto he won't know his best forward line - Gray didn't fire last time but should start with Varney but if he continues to misfire may get dropped for a quickie or Luke may get moved wide to accomodate Dicko of Fleet.

4) Unless one gets sold, he will rotate Thomas, Ambrose & Basey and perhaps Wagstaff - the nature of wingers being they're inconsistent depending on service and the type of football the oppo play.

So we'll have an inconsistent, unsettled side even without injuries - they January window and all change (if Pards lasts that long)

Comments

• Options
    kind of disagree with most of that AG, and think the bottom line is that its absolutely impossible to make any forms of assumptions at the moment.
  • Options
    at least one constant will be Weaver !
  • Options
    Worries - too many to mention! But at least Big Bent's not one of them!! (Except when we play Brum...)
  • Options
    I havent a care in the world. Cant wait for the new season.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    reverse that and we could have the making of a spine, I think the wings are the most unsettled to be honest, with one centre half in question. Of course he may add another central midlfielder and or wingers so who knows, assuming Boughie stays the lineup would be

Weaver

Moo2 Hudson Bougherra? Youga

Sam? Holland ZZ Thomas?

Varney Gray

Looks fairly stable spine/line up to me, at least more so than last season - can he stick with it though..?
  • Options
    I'm more worried that we are placing too much responsibility on Shelvey, Youga and Moo2.

All three have great potential but have yet to shine consistently for us.

And we need another CH and a midfield but other than that all is well.
  • Options
    Surely, competition for places is a good thing. It would be more worrying if Pards had his 11 starters already fixed in his head.

I think the worries this year are different:

1) Keeping in the top half - we all know there is not much between top and bottom
    2) Failing to bring through the promising youngsters because results go badly
    3) A more biting midfield which seems to be a necessity most weeks in this division
    4) No money
  • Options
    Dan Shittu and Ben Watson would be the perfect signings for us

Sadly we'll probably end up with Edwin Shittu from Redcar and Brian Watson of Braintree if Alan Ackworth Pardew gets his way!

In seriousness I don't have too many fears for this year - we have massively reduced the wage bill now and have a bright, young squad that needs a couple more faces.

My only major concern is with Weaver believe it or not - I don't particularly rate him. He makes some good saves but is not mobile enough for me
  • Options
    Mostly I hope we can play a reasonably settled side and get rid of Faye and with the money (plus that from the now departed Bent) buy a strong CM player.

That and I think we need more consistency, too many good performances/results were followed up a week later by poor games, a bit more steel and drive in the centre of the park would solve modt of the problems before they happen.
  • Options
    The nigels doing the double over us