Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Good luck to CIFC at Worldnet (report and photos added)

edited July 2008 in General Charlton
Tomorrow morning, a healthy contingent of unhealthy Charlton supporters are making their way up to Leeds for the Worldnet tournament.

Worldnet is a two-day festival of highly amateurish football and professional drinking. 64 supporters club teams from England, Scotland, France and Italy converge on Leeds University and do their level best to drink the city dry and play a bit of football in the process.

Charlton Internet FC (CIFC) have been represented at the tournament since 2000, with the finest hour coming when we won somehow won it in 2002. The team was formed in 1998 by CL Members Oakster and Charlton Charlie largely off the old email list and Netaddicks. The team played games against other supporters clubs teams in the morning before Charlton played whoever they were playing in the afternoon.

I would hazard a guess that some 30-40 Charlton Life members have turned out for CIFC at some stage. Worldnet is the 'world cup' of the supporters teams, though for the majority of the teams, the football takes second place to the legendary nights out. One year we had 3 players ruled out of the tournament between 2am and 3am on the Sat morning due to alcohol related injuries.

Going up this year includes from this site myself, Charlton Charlie, Dave Storry, RedarmySE7, bobbolder and Swerve the lurker.

In our group on Saturday, we have Liverpool, Crewe and Leicester. The top two go through to a 'winners' competition on the sunday with a 10am KO, the bottom two go through into a 'losers' plate competition that has a Sunday 8am KO. The aim has always been not to win anything, but to qualify for the extra 2hrs in bed.

I'll try and get some updates up on here over the weekend so Oakster and co can keep track.

Comments

• Options
    Good to luck to you all, just gutted I can't afford to be there this year :(
  • Options
    Good luck lads.
  • Options
    If you need a Leaburn type striker, you just have to ask ....................
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: randy andy[/cite]Good to luck to you all, just gutted I can't afford to be there this year :(

just glad i don't have to clean your kit :-)
  • Options
    Good luck lads and have fun.
  • Options
    Best of luck lads i'm sure swerve and skeletor will give the gory details at a later date
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: addick1965[/cite]Best of luck lads i'm sure swerve and skeletor will give the gory details at a later date

I forgot Skel is going. That's my plan not to smoke much out the window..........
  • Options
    More interested in the Drinking Stories than the football stories or is it going to be a what goes on tour stays on tour kind of thing ?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]More interested in the Drinking Stories than the football stories or is it going to be a what goes on tour stays on tour kind of thing ?[/quote]

Depends if i'm involved or not !!

I am RedarmySE7's guardian for the weekend, the lad doesn'#t stand a chance !

If anyone is interested, the site linked below has history, match schedules etc. We're in group 5, Welling United are in group 6, and Palace and Millwall also have teams up there

http://www.worldnet.org.uk/
  • Options
    nice one lads
    Good luck
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    shouldn't that be a healthy contingent, plus Charlton Charlie?

;)
  • Options
    AFKA get swerve or skel to text me and I'll update if you want mate.
  • Options
    cheers Ledge, will do
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]More interested in the Drinking Stories than the football stories or is it going to be a what goes on tour stays on tour kind of thing ?

Depends if i'm involved or not !!

I am RedarmySE7's guardian for the weekend, the lad doesn'#t stand a chance !

[/url]

God help me!
  • Options
    Gutted not to be there - good luck lads!!
  • Options
    good luck boys - have a good one
  • Options
    4hrs sleep - great prep for two nights with NO sleep !!

The old excitement is starting to kick in this morning though. Will be tough for us getting out of our group, the three other teams in our group have all qualified out of their groups in the last two consecutive years.

We'll have to beat Crewe in the CAFC battle though !
  • Options
    Really fired up this morning! My first time representing and I'm buzzing. Can't wait to get on the pitch - totally hungover might I add!
  • Options
    Start as you mean to go on !

Mini bus company cocked up the booking, Charlton Charlie now has to drive to Canterbury to pick up the bus, drive it back, pick ups in Bexley, Plumstead and Charlton, A1 shut at peterboro, M1 knackered.

Should get there by Sunday..........
  • Options
    Can report that the lads are all there 15 of them with a fully fit (ahem ) squad. One of my lot even said he can't believe he;s not the oldest there but he did say they there with f*** all enthusiasm lol- - not surprising reading AFKA's comments above.

more updates to follow
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good luck to you all, many a fond memory of Leeds pitches and of course Leeds drinking holes....Sunday morning 1st game is always fun fun fun...So how does PQ (Grandad) still manage to play on...it's gotta be some kinda of medical miracle...Maybe next year will see the return of the Sarge to Worldnet....might have to lose several stone first.....
  • Options
    Leicester 1 Charlton 2 in the 1st game.

one down due to a dodgy penalty .......

come back to win 2-1 - just waiitng for the vidi printer to tell the scorers.
  • Options
    goals from anthony ford and vic sehmi

couple of great match winning saves near the end from the CIFC kjeeper colin dray.
  • Options
    2nd game against liverpool ended 1-1 with an exquisite lob from mark poole after the mickeys nicked a goal.

game against crewe ended in a 0-0 draw and "we were f****** awful" according to my source LOL.
    BUT THE LADS HAVE QUALIFIED FOR THE TOMORROW;S MAIN COMPETITION.

Now they are off out to get pissed no doubt.
  • Options
    It's our year again! I can feel it in my water........
  • Options
    the lads played the spanners from New Cross this morning and................

did us proud beating Millwaal 1-0 with the goal coming from jim armstroing with a left foot drive through a mass of bodies after a half cleared corner.

The reward is to be drawn against the holders RC LENS but our boys will come good.
  • Options
    Well done fellas!
  • Options
    onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-niiiilllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll!!!!!!

We beat the scum one-nil!!!!!!!!!

Well done chaps!!
  • Options
    Alas poor yorrick for you did so well.

RC Lens proved a step too far for the Mighty CIFC - who succumbed to a last minute winner but a worthy goal to win it as well.

Heroic defending was the order of the day and the best team won on the day.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    It seems CIFC just couldn't keep their focus at the end. Better luck next time fellas.