Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CAFC in another politically "sensitive" game v Gibraltar

So we are playing a Gibraltar XI during the trip to Spain but the whole question of a national Gibraltar side is big issue for the Spanish FA who referred to the Treaty of Utrecht in 1713 when lobbying heavily against Gibraltar's admittance to UEFA last year.

Well done Charlton I say. Sticking up for the little guy. Let's twin ourselves with the Gibraltar FA.

More info on our opponents

The Gibraltar Football Association (GFA) was formed as the Gibraltar Civilian Football Association in 1895, changing to its current name in later years. It is one of the oldest football associations in the world.

The GFA affiliated with The Football Association in 1909, but is currently trying to become a full member of UEFA so that its national team is allowed to compete in the European Football Championship and the Football World Cup. This attempt has been blocked by the fierce opposition from the Spanish Football Federation.

In August 2006, the world's highest sporting court (CAS) ruled that Gibraltar had to be allowed as a full UEFA and FIFA member. No protest was possible against this decision, which meant that Gibraltar was now likely to join UEFA. It should be noted that current FIFA and UEFA members include several federations which cannot be said to represent independent nations, such as Puerto Rico, Chinese Taipei (which is only recognized by 23 countries and not by the United Nations), the Faroe Islands, and New Caledonia. French Guiana, Martinique, Guadeloupe and Saint Martin each have national teams which, despite not being FIFA members, are allowed to compete at the CONCACAF confederation level.

On 8 December 2006, it was announced that Gibraltar had become a provisional member of UEFA. On 26 January 2007 in the UEFA Congress held in Düsseldorf (Germany), Gibraltar's application to become a full member of UEFA was rejected, 45 votes against to 3 votes in favour. The 3 favourable votes came from England, Scotland and Wales. (4 votes were undecided)

This was after intense lobbying of the member nations by the Spanish Football Federation's president Angel Maria Villar to vote against the inclusion of Gibraltar on the grounds that the Spanish government claimed Gibraltar as part of Spain. He admitted it was a political issue and referred to the Treaty of Utrecht of 1713.

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2008
    I wouldn't want anyone to be offended though Henners, its a shame governments can ruin sport by their actions, particularly when it is the man in the street who suffers normally. I also think Football can be a huge force for good in an internationalist sense, and a great leveller between nations.
  • Options
    this trip is nothing more than a sodding duty free run and a chance for our leader to top up his tan.

I'm pretty sure that within 12 hours i could scramble a side together who would give the Gibralter eleven a competitive game !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]I wouldn't want anyone to be offended though Henners, its a shame governments can ruin sport by their actions, particularly when it is the man in the street who suffers normally. I also thinkg Football can be a huge force for good in an internationalist sense, and a great leveller between nations.

Oh, hark at her!

; - )
  • Options
    Think they'd be more offended that our supporters director can't spell Gibraltar !

;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]this trip is nothing more than a sodding duty free run and a chance for our leader to top up his tan.

I'm pretty sure that within 12 hours i could scramble a side together who would give the Gibralter eleven a competitive game !

you'd have no chance against this lot
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    or even the current side
  • Options
    edited July 2008
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]this trip is nothing more than a sodding duty free run and a chance for our leader to top up his tan.

I'm all for team building but an eight day jaunt to Spain at a time when we are cost cutting by laying off coaches and selling players is a bit out of order imo. And, to cmpound it, we arrange 1 friendly against a team that will probably be at work all day before playing us in the evening. Surely we could have stayed in the UK, played another couple of friendlies, and gone paintballing or something or a golf day. This does appear to be a jolly-up and a chance to top up the tan. BTW, has Robson actually gone ? Are the Club going to tell us ? or is it a case of wait and see what the bar bill is before we decide his fate.
  • Options
    That's kind of what i was getting at the other day Large.

Being serious, i'm sure it is not a jolly up by any means. I'm sure there are a couple of team bonding drinks up thrown in, but so there should be because those things are as vital for team morale than any training session. However, i expect the bulk of it to be hard work in a state of the art training complex.

BUT, the length of the trip seems excessive, and from excessive normally comes the word expensive, particularly given light of the fact we have no competitive fixtures arranged whatsoever.

The planning, from the outside, appears poor
  • Options
    Our greatest ever manager took the players to Bournemouth when they were in the second tier.

Why can't this one?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2008
    the costs probably aren't too different from hosting this in the UK and keeping the players away from distraction (easier abroad I would imagine) for this period of time. Some things can be cut back but do we really want them to cut the professional team management approach as well?
  • Options
    as you say you wouldn't mind so much if we had three games against either Spanish teams or another visiting UK team but one game against Gibralter ? I'm sure they will work hard but that would have still applied in the UK.
  • Options
    can you not keep on topic. This is a thread about UEFA's shameful treatment of the GFA.

There is already another thread on the trip to Spain and why it is a jolly.
  • Options
    Watch out Large and AFKA, Henry will be after you...

Spot on in my opinion, though - if they were going to spend over a week abroad, then make d*mn sure that some decent warm-up fixtures against competitve opposition were signed and sealed before booking the trip.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Gibraltar is British sod the Spanish!

They can't have it both ways. They've lobbied to stop Gibraltar becoming an independent football nation so as part of the British Commonwealth it must come under the auspices of our FA which means it is a domestic fixture and absolutely nothing to do with Spain!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Watch out Large and AFKA, Henry will be after you...

Spot on in my opinion, though - if they were going to spend over a week abroad, then make d*mn sure that some decent warm-up fixtures against competitve opposition were signed and sealed before booking the trip.

It wouldn't be Charlton unless we cocked something up somewhere along the line
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite].

agree totally !!
  • Options
    Funnily enough, Matt Holland and all his mates were on my flight to Gib this time last month...and yes, it is possibly the cheapest duty free place I have ever been....
  • Options
    Perhaps pards has moved the "jolly" to British soil (Gibraltar) in response to criticism..lol
  • Options
    Here's what they are doing

parky
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "After another rest, the players trained again at 5pm out on the pitches. The gaffer worked specifically on delivery with the wide players and full-backs "

Cue the first corner by us from during the Swansea game going directly out of play...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]"After another rest, the players trained again at 5pm out on the pitches. The gaffer worked specifically on delivery with the wide players and full-backs "

Cue the first corner by us from during the Swansea game going directly out of play...

Pardew to the wide players

Pardew: "This ball. That 'near post'. That 'far post'. You kick corner ball. Ball go past near post.

Keyy and Yassin: "it's OK boss, we both speak excellent English"

Pardew: "I know you do, I was trying to explain it to Darren"
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Gibraltar is British sod the Spanish!

They can't have it both ways. They've lobbied to stop Gibraltar becoming an independent football nation so as part of the British Commonwealth it must come under the auspices of our FA which means it is a domestic fixture and absolutely nothing to do with Spain!

Well said
  • Options
    erm what about Wales and Scotland?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Our greatest ever manager took the players to Bournemouth when they were in the second tier.

Why can't this one?

I think the flights were rather more expensive in Jimmy Seed's day.
  • Options
    5 - 0

great credit to the Gib lads.

UEFA status for the Rock
  • Options
    Yeah great credit to the postmen & candlestick makers of Gib. What a joke.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PassItToLeaburn[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Our greatest ever manager took the players to Bournemouth when they were in the second tier.

Why can't this one?

I think the flights were rather more expensive in Jimmy Seed's day.

Very good :-)