Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What signings should we expect ?

edited July 2008 in General Charlton
If Bougherra goes for 2m, Bent was approx 500k, Iwelumo approx 400k, McCarthy/Fleetwood netted approx 400k. So we have raised 3.3m plus the wages saved. What sort of signings can we expect ? In my opinion it's obvious that we won't be splashing the cash so it's going to be Bosman's or players from a lower league for a few hundred thousand or so. The Steve Howards or Ben Watson's of this world are obviously out of our reach. There was no point in selling Bougherra or Paddy if we are going to spend the same again on replacememnts. The need was to raise funds and having done so Pards isn't going to get much to invest. It isn't looking good is it ?

Comments

• Options
    I think that budget is a big assumption, otherwise we wouldn't be forced to sell bougherra - who knows what he can spend, I'm setting my expectations low at two season long loans.
  • Options
    I expect the £14.95 fry up with Pards and the complete sell out of the new shirt to help bolster the coffers.
  • Options
    I expect at least three loan signings from the Premiership
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley McMoist[/cite]I expect at least three loan signings from the Premiership
    Well it served Birmingham very well last time they got promoted from this league but as we very well know from last season - they need to be the right players.
  • Options
    i'm with Valley M, i think the best we can hope for now is a couple of quality one-year loans and maybe the odd freebie or someone with only a year left on his contract.
  • Options
    ahem..
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]i'm with Valley M, i think the best we can hope for now is a couple of quality one-year loans and maybe the odd freebie or someone with only a year left on his contract.

BUT that (season long loans) contradicts what was said at City Addicks does it not ?
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    no mention of the BLACK HOLE either though (or was there?).. I am pessimistically thinking it meant freeing up wages and not transfer budget as such - they did say he wasn't in favour of loan players though after this years lot, however I think beggars can't be choosers - would love to be proved wrong though. Oh and I just reread your posting (oops) agree broadly with what you (Large) say.
  • Options
    One good thing that comes out of this is that potential sellers will not think we are able to flash the cash. Hopefully, this means we won't overpay for anyone that we do sign. However, I think we may be in for lower league hopefuls rather established players.
  • Options
    I reckon we'll go in for Sam Sodje (I hear that he is likley to leave Reading this summer) if Bougherra leaves and we'll get in 3 loan signings.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I hope we don't go for Sam Sodje, he's not good enough.
  • Options
    No i'd rather not have him either.I know he always gives 100%,but a defender who chests a ball at knee height worries me.You cant fault him for effort though.
  • Options
    Don`t think we can expect much better than the standard of Sodje to be honest. He`s experienced and might well be available for nowt. With little or no money to spend and imho we won`t be buying anyone else just getting loans and frees a player like Sodje would be good bussiness.
  • Options
    i think sodje gave more last season than bougy
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    His style of defending will always make him look like he's putting in 110% and trying more than more 'casual' defenders like Bougherra and Fortune.

I think everyone will agree we need to play better football, and on the ground. Sodje isn't going to help that, lacks composure on the ball (and just basic ball control) and his passing is awful. Fortune and Bougherra are at least a bit more comfortable with the ball and better at passing it out.