Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Canham gets another chance.

edited July 2008 in General Charlton
Sean Canham is set for a run out for Charlton when we play Dulwich Hamlet on Saturday july 30th.
Canham has been playing with Team Bath to keep his fitness levels up but will be recalled.
He will need to impress Pards and play at full match pace to get a contract,still only 23 and he did score 41 goals for Team Bath.

Comments

• Options
    Nooooooooo
  • Options
    Didn't impress v Bromley but we could do with some more forwards ; - )
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Errrrrrm...yet another non league striker/starlet who may or may not make it...we've been around the block a few times with this malarky over the last couple of seasons and it doesn't seem to be bearing any fruit, I must say I'm getting just a little bit tired of all this, so much so that one can hardly keep track of their comings and goings!
  • Options
    Perhaps the cunning plan is:

Sign him for £50k.

Run with him for a year to see how he develops, with spells on loan at Southend, Jills or Brighton.

If shaping up well, keep him for a further year to see if he's genuine first team material.
    Or he's flogged to Southend for £250k - a handy profit.

It's the New Academy. ;o)
  • Options
    I'm all with giving players a chance who have sliped thru the net for some reason or another, i belive fleetwood had 'attidude' problems with cardiff hence his journey into non league, the bigger question here is has it really come to this!! trawling non league for talent, as of yet it really hasnt paid off, chris dickson is the hope i do rate him but i just get the feeling he will be off in the next few weeks either a loan or a deal with a smaller london club ie: brentford or southend (know its essex!!) if we find one gem out of 10 we look at then well done pards and the scouting network, however we can not be serious about mounting a promtion push with players from the uni bond league, its the year 2008 not 1968 when non league players were just as good as league players, read some of Cloughies books to see the non league talent. to score 40 plus goals in any league is amazing however you have to consider the teams they played against, team bath would off at times in there league and local cup competions been playing against basically pub teams. As i said if one of the non league players turns out to be an Ian Wright / Stuart Pearce or Kevin Phillips then hats off, if not what does it show in terms of ambition?
  • Options
    I guess its the way the game has gone the last few years....because of the influx of foreign players, British players are getting forced down the leagues further than perhaps they used to. I really dont have problem with us having a punt for reasonable amounts of money up to £250k...afterall we have pissed so much money down the drain on very average EPL players such as Faye/Bent etc, so spending up to £250k is really a drop in the Ocean compared to what we have been paying out on players wages alone.
  • Options
    Luke Varney was a non-League player 4 years ago, playing for Quorn at 22 years old before being snapped up by Crewe.
    Charlton were suitably impressed by his development to pay over £2 million for him.

Those players are still out there, no doubt. Pards must certainly think so.
    And what have Charlton to lose?

As I said above, it's the New Academy.
  • Options
    Ackworth (sorry Pardew) has to look somewhere for his players when funds are tight.