Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jazz

Comments

• Options
    linky thing not working DA9 but i raise you...

great night out if you open your musical mind
  • Options
    cheers good to see a bit of local history....never knew that and was my local for a time....
  • Options
    My mum lives in Barnehurst road.

I remember when i was about 17 going in here on a sunday and these old boys playing jazz. (well they might have been tuning up). Got soo pissed off with it once hid the drummers drum sticks !
  • Options
    Must admit, not a fan.

Think it was a Simpsons episode and they went past a bar with a sign saying '24 hour Jazz Festival - At least 4 songs played'
  • Options
    hey lucky lucky lucky lucky me --------------- the Qatar Jazz Festival is in town !!!! and lucky lucky lucky me its based inmy hotel !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so just had my lunch to the sound of two guys trying to play to over sized violins !!!!! without music or any type of tune. As this is their 4th day here and the peeps know me the staff in the restuarant made the mistake of asking what i thought------------------- but i guess they didnt understand my answer "when they gona start then".

after 4 days ,i think i will take my next meal outside in the sand storm, might be a bit gritty but will sound a load better.
  • Options
    I like the mags!
  • Options
    Jazz is a bit like acquiring a foreign language. It's a form of communication. Sophisticated.Deep. Pop music is very shallow in comparison, especially the radio 1 guff.

I remember listening to 'Bitches Brew' in the 70's and didn't get it at all. But Miles Davis has grown on me. 'Kind of Blue' is a great album and often used in commercials. Coltraine takes some getting used to but once you get used to the rhythms it's great fast energy.
  • Options
    I'll play you some Trade Jazz man...

Jazz can be beautifully structured, you've got your funk, your afrobeat, your hardbop and your Soul train. For me I pretty much love all jazz, just depends what mood I'm in but I can listen to Donald Byrd or Miles Davis pretty much anytime

Fair enough if you don't like it. Talking 'bout something you know nothing 'bout just ain't the blues man. I'd doubt if most early bluesman would see much of a gulf between blues or jazz, indeed there'd have been no rock n'roll without either of them.
  • Options
    Try Esbjorn Svensson Trio, Excellent, seen them live three times. Also Pat Metheny Group, middle of the road, but worth a listen
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anybody who can't appreciate Oscar Peterson, Chet Baker, Miles Davis or Donald Byrd may as well have another set of bollocks grafted to their shwede in place of ears.
  • Options
    rather not have ears than listen to that kak.
  • Options
    What kak do you listen to then GH?
  • Options
    so you two are getting stuck in to a jazz debate during a game then?
  • Options
    classic punk
  • Options
    All bollocks that GH. Just a load of old f***ing noise - some herbers shouting into a mic whilst some talentless cnuts bang on some tins and play ropey three chord repetitive crap behind him.
  • Options
    we just won 2-0 lads!!!!!

full time whistle JUST blew...

and you two are still at it!!!!
  • Options
    And what business is it of yours what two adults discuss on a public message board?
  • Options
    bah!

2-0

2-0

2-0

yessssssssssssssss
  • Options
    Leroy is that jazz your talking about there mate ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    God I hate punk. Just a load of talentless, no fretwork glue freaks.

Actually I like the Stooges and the Clash but I just can't think of musical genre that's so over-rated and mind numbingly uncreative. The only thing that's interesting about punk is what people do when they grow out of it.
  • Options
    Don't know much about jazz myself. Might have to invest in a few mags...
  • Options
    If you dont really know, you should turn on BBC4 now for the Arena look at Cool, and the history of cool through the 1940's sound of cool jazz ;)
  • Options
    Thanks Riscardo for the heads up.

Now its Dave Brubeck and Jackson Pollock.

What a day an away victory and a wonderful spring day and now this.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Riscardo[/cite]If you dont really know, you should turn on BBC4 now for the Arena look at Cool, and the history of cool through the 1940's sound of cool jazz ;)

I watched that last night - truly excellent documentary.
  • Options
    I have been digging out from my collection and listening to some classic jazz in the last week,if you can find 'em all worth a purchase.

Buddy Tate with Clark Terry - Tate-a Tate(vinyl)

Gene Krupa meets Buddy Rich(vinyl)

Buddy Rich - richcraft(vinyl)

I'm sure they must be on cd.

Also Plenty of good cheap Blue Note label stuff available on cd.
  • Options
    Its all about Stan & Oscar for me - with a healthy dose of Chet Baker as well. I was listening to the 1957 Peterson/Getz session earlier today in the garden - absolutely awesome. The sax work on 'Detour Ahead' and 'I'm Glad There Is You' is beyond compare.
  • Options
    Badger/ Leroy- you obviously know your big bands- if you haven't heard this

Giant Steps

take a peek but the album, on the UK site, at £7 is money very well spent...
  • Options
    Well never thought I would be defending jazz because I used to HAVE to listen to trad jazz at one point in my life on an all too regular basis. ( family thing best left) I used to effing hate SOME of it but... good musicians in whatever genre will bring that music to you and make it mean something. It can be great played by the right people and there are plenty of rock and soul greats who base their work on jazz influences ( Hendrix Wonder to name the first 2 that come to mind)
    Afterall there has also been some shite country, punk, opera you name it.
    And add django to that list of greats :-)
    Now gonna get get my nice pullover out and start bouncing up and down gently like a muppet while I get that tradjazz beat .....NNNNOOOO!!!!! :-)
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The other thing about "it's the notes they don't play" sounds like balls but what it refers to is not swamping a backing with a solo that has millions of clever scales and tricks when a couple of well timed notes will say more.
    Best example I can think of this is bb king who just sits great but fairly minimalist licks over the backing as opposed to say Gary Moore who fills out much more of his blues solos with runs etc.
    Each to his own as to who you prefer. I love bb think he just sounds so cool.
    Anyone who has ever heard me do a solo will comment not so much on the "notes he doesn't play" as "the ones he can't" :-)