Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Boogie to stay?

edited July 2008 in General Charlton
Apparently the Boogie move has broken down and he stays at Charlton.

Boogy to stay? - linky thingy

Comments

• Options
    Great for footballling reasons if true, i get the impression he was not overly bothered about the move anyway. He's been very quiet while the rumours have been circulating for the past couple of months.

I wonder if anyone on here can shed any light?
  • Options
    great news
  • Options
    I wouldn't get too excited just yet, but really hope this is true. We simply can't afford to lose what is effectively another senior player.

Its also been quite refreshing as said that Bougy has stayed quiet through all this. Even if he has been pushing hard for the move, it appears from the outside it has been gone about the right way and haven't been any public shows to speed things along.
  • Options
    If he doesnt go the liklihood of any signings will be almost zero if as the club says they need to recoup some money
  • Options
    If he stays then that is great news. I am not so fussed about spunking loads of cash just for the sake of it, get a couple of solid signings / loan deals, as long as they improve the first team.
  • Options
    If he stays he is still a long way off match fitness. He hasn't appeared in any games yet,wonder if he will play at dover
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]If he doesnt go the liklihood of any signings will be almost zero if as the club says they need to recoup some money

In that case, i see the squad lacking just one clear position, centre mid. But they may mean that they would be forced to play Shelvey more frequently than the original plan ?

I still don't rate us in wide areas, but can't see that changing unless like for like changes were made.
  • Options
    Not gonna get too excited as Charlton always tend to let you down when you least expect it.

Bougherra is a player of Genuine quality & it's pleasing to hear he has done nothing to engineer this move, it was all about Charlton thinking it was right to sell. This player was already my favourite but he has gone up even higher in my estimations after this.
  • Options
    spot on Barts, I guess its a surprise that Thomas is still here and a blessing in a way, time for him to show his quality and Sam to make his mark perhaps with some youngsters coming through?
  • Options
    If the move with Betis has broken down there were other clubs after him so I'd wait and see how this all pans out.

If he is staying then I would think that we may need to sell somebody else as I thought the club still needed the cash. I suspect it may be that Fortune will go (for less money) and/or maybe Thomas.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2008
    we keep going on about this recoup of money. Forget about baby Bent dosh.
    We received over £5million for Young and the centre half that went back to France. Two parashute payments.
    £4million for Reid.
    Aprox £1.7 for the players sold this season.
    Then there were the staff cuts.
    Plus we had 17,000 season ticket holders last year avergae crowd of 23,000.
    The share issue
    15,000 season tickets this season

Maybe its time for us share holders to start asking afew more relavant questions at the AGM than the state of the pot holes in the car park ?

I dont expect us to flash cash like QPR, but i find this constant "we are potless" shit and im sure it has a negative effect n us trying to get people in as well.Saying we aint got money wont booast the fees we get will it ? it will make us an easy target and must unsettle players as "all" seem to be in the shop window.
  • Options
    Fortune moving for a fee and particularly his wages off the books (which I believe are high thanks to agent Dowie) would be a big help
  • Options
    GH - of the 92 league clubs, you'll probably find that no more than about 10 actually make a profit. The rest break even or are run at a loss.
  • Options
    Blimey Goonerhater dont say that you will get shot to pieces !!
  • Options
    We didn't get £4M for Reid - about £3.5 I think.
    And have we sold 15000 STs?
  • Options
    I never said we should be in profit. I cant see how we are potless.

There are times when we play our cards close re not geting quoted silly money for players but telling the world we are skint opens up a huge can of worms.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    claiming we are broke when we aren't isn't going to stop us getting good money for sales, you simply say no. However the fact that we are selling to this extent shows we clearly are broke.

The Board are trying to steady the ship without it becoming a fire sale, selling dead wood where possible and top players if the right money is forthcoming.

I can't say I'm happy about it, but you have to live within your means, and this board clearly are doing that. If we had a Board willing/able to put more cash in then things would be different, but they aren't and we have to live with it, in the same way the club can't complain too much about season ticket sales with this low level of financed ambition.
  • Options
    no we sold 13,951 i think
    and Reid may have been £3,659,678

sorry

ok for people to just bat out we have a £5 million hole we have to fill though aint it ?
  • Options
    Given the squad that has been announced on the official site i.e no Madjid I would say this saga is pretty far from over.

I guess the acid test will be whether or not he plays on Saturday. I'm guessing he won't and now that the original deal has fallen down we will be hawking him round looking for another bidder.

To be honest I have never been totally convinced by him so if we get our money back I will be more than happy. As long as it is reinvested.
  • Options
    The money that's being banded about for Magic is low imho, £4m or he's going nowhere. We seem to have been quite successful at trimming the squad and the wage bill and if our only punt for next season is keeping a young talented CH who was at the heart of our best performances last season i'd be happy with that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]The money that's being banded about for Magic is low imho, £4m or he's going nowhere. We seem to have been quite successful at trimming the squad and the wage bill and if our only punt for next season is keeping a young talented CH who was at the heart of our best performances last season i'd be happy with that.
    What has he done to justify an extra £1.5m - £2m from what we originally paid?
  • Options
    If he was sold to a Prem club, assuming demand is there, then that quite probably increases his value - compared to selling to a club outside the Prem, including most European clubs.
  • Options
    WSS, he's shown when fit (been an issue i know) that he's a classy, ball playing CH who can form good partnerships with less talented defenders. There aren't many sweeping CH's out there and on top of that he's got pace which all the bigger clubs are looking for. The £4m tag is a reflection of his rareity and also that i think he's trained on from when he arrived, Magic's a more physically intimidating and positionally confident CH than the whippet that we signed. When it comes down to it we've got an asset that's not going to be worth much less next season whether he kicks on again or not but the upside is considerable both in footballing and financial terms, putting a £4m tag on him reflects this.
  • Options
    Good post, Santa ........ the player doesn't seem desperate to move - and any price should reflect the development the club have put into him.

Personally, however, I hope he's now here to stay. He's our equivalent of Rio Ferdinand and we're a better footballing side when he plays.

If we're up to mounting some sort of promotion challenge this year, Boogie is the type of player that will give us an edge.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]I never said we should be in profit. I cant see how we are potless.

There are times when we play our cards close re not geting quoted silly money for players but telling the world we are skint opens up a huge can of worms.

The club has played the transfer market quite well GH with regard to player sales because we got top money for Darren Bent and decent money for Reid and players like Diawara so it projected a good negotiating position. We never did an Ipswich who pretty much went straight into big financial meltdown as soon as they were relegated. Why? Because they had one good season in the Prem, got into Europe and then spent money that had didn't have in a reckless gamble for European glory which backfired leaving them in a huge financial hole, so much so that players like Herm were sold for much below their true market value.

I don't think it's a question of us being potless, it's a question of us reducing our operating costs so that we can survive running a club on much lower revenues. So despite the parachute payments, the club had to

1. Reduce staffing to essentials only
    2. Get as many high PL player wages off it's books
    3. Focus on core activities (e.g not the womens team)
    4. Keep it's revenues up as high as possible (hence the free season ticket carrot)
    5. Swap as much of its short term debt for long term debt (rights issue) saving the high interest payments on the original debt
    6. Cash in some of it's assets to further reduce the shortterm debt/interest - by selling players

As fans we really only hear about the costs/benefits involved in No 6, so we assume the club has "made" a huge killing on players and thus has it all(or most) to spend but the reality is that much of that money has been needed to re-structure the clubs finanaces onto a Championship footing.