Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dover updates...........(1-0 Charlton FT)

edited July 2008 in General Charlton
thanks to the nice man from Oz.

0-0 at mo, main news though is Bougherra is playing.

Comments

• Options
    Thanks AFKA - must be a bit warm for full pace football!
  • Options
    Mmmm Bougherra is playing, best news I have heard this week. Think Betis have pulled out then :-)
  • Options
    Fantastic news
  • Options
    1-0 Charlton, Dean Sinclair.

Long come on for Moo2 in the 2nd half.

Attendance 1,521

Basey and Fortune just come off, Aswad Thomas and one other on
  • Options
    Having quite a few chances now.

Tunani on for Wright
  • Options
    I don't know if Tel is being sarcastic about Dickson's shooting, but he reckons 27 balls have been lost !
  • Options
    you sure he hasn't got McCleod and dickson mixed up
  • Options
    That's our trouble, strikers with no balls!
  • Options
    Final score 1-0

We're gonna win the league !!
  • Options
    thanks very much for TelfromOz for the updates. Take the text money out of the petty cash float :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Interestingly, Todorov was down on the original squad list, yet didn't feature again.
  • Options
    BOUGY~!
  • Options
    Not the best of games. Sinclair and Wright looked very strong in the middle. Wright went off with a hamstring injury. No news on what happened with Yassin though, although it looked like his calf. Dicko and Fleetwood looked very lively up front both havng a couple of chances each that they couldn't take. Magic looked very strong at centre back, was good to see him out there. Sam Long, who came on for Yassin, looked very strong, very lively getting forward too. Don't know whether he's good enough for a right back slot for the first game though. Although he didn't come one Jensen looked very good warming up, he has a good shot on him. As for Tunani he didn't do much, but made a couple of good passes and looks strong.
  • Options
    so we're looking strong then ross :-)

cheers for adding your thoughts. Others there agree ?
  • Options
    We've got a quality reserve side this season ......

;o)
  • Options
    Sorry to burst the bubble, but it was quite a dire nights football. Wright stood out head and shoulders for me after a shaky first five minutes. Bougy showed touches of class, but on several occassions gave the ball away in dangerous positions. Basey was quite solid as was Fortune. Sinclair didnt impress me at all. Sam should have run the Dover defence ragged, but despite seeing a lot of the ball, didnt deliver...in fact our crossing was woeful at times and Moo2 (who I like a lot) was probably the worst of the lot. Dickson didnt do much in the first half, but bought out a fine save from the keeper just before half time. Fleetwood added lots of huff and puff, but hardly had a shot on goal. Dickson got more involved in the second half, and on another day could have had a hatrick, but as Richard (Addicksdownunder member) said, he looked a bit cocky in front of goal, and I have to agree. Yussif had some nice touches, especially in the second period, and as Dover began to tire, we had quite a few chances....not edge of the seat stuff all in all. The goal was a bit like playing a pinball machine, Fleetwood had a go and it was blocked...Dickson (I think) then prodded the ball from about six yards, the keeper made a great save pushing it onto the post where it rebounded to Sinclair, who firmly hit home. The lad who's name I didnt catch was a left back....Tunami didnt really get much of the ball, so cant really comment.....Elliott didnt have much to do, despite Dover having a couple of free headers from corners in the second half. In summary it was a really boring game and seemed to go on for ever...very much a second string Charlton, with only Sam/Bougy and Fortune what you could really classify 1st team players (no disrespect to Basey or Moo2).

Beautiful little ground, the pitch was small but near perfect......Dover's biggest expenditure each year is probably lost balls! Towards the end it looked like the Vultures were circling, but Im told by the locals that they were indeed Great Black backed Gulls.......
    In summary, not one to read into too much.....
    Tel
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Good report, thanks.

Does anyone else think that they overhyped sending a 1st team down to dover, I was expecting a stronger squad.
  • Options
    Wright stood out head and shoulders for me after a shaky first five minutes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tel

I know it's difficult to tell from a friendly against a non league side, but from Wright's performance last night do you think he has a real chance of staking a claim in the first team next season? From all accounts he impressed at Barnet last season. Not had a chance to see Josh Wright play yet.
  • Options
    From the main site

"...his fine ball sent Dickson clean through on goal in the 74th minute. The striker looked well placed to double the lead, but his effort sailed over the top of the Port of Dover Stand and into the vast shrubbery behind the goal."

ha!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Amos....I think he will be there or there abouts......I said to Richard before the game that I thought he could be a star of the future...he has the right sort of stature and looks calm and comfortable on the ball. If asked for instance who stood a better chance of being a success in league football out of say Dickson and Wright....my money would be on the latter.

Reserves.....I sent a text to AFKA at that point and said something like Dickson 3pts and 27 balls lost!
  • Options
    Brief message from the Dickson Appreciation Society:

It's frustrating when a striker misses a shedload of chances - but at least they consistantly get in the right positions to ensure a steady stream of chances. No reason why Dickson shouldn't come good and be a prolific striker in the CCC - he proved he has the ability when he scored 11 goals for the Jills onloan last season; he just needs to step up one last level.

Same for Dizzy McLeod - always in the right positions to miss. No reason why it won't come right for him again.

A long time ago when I was a kid, my Dad said fancy going over to Fulham ?
    It was the time when Bobby Robson was their manager and he picked a gangly fullback but played him up front.

Fulham lost 1-0 that night - and obviously this striker didn't strike, as he missed chance after chance after chance - but he was always in the right place at the right time.

His name? Malcolm MacDonald.

Linky
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite][b]Brief message from the Dickson Appreciation Society[/b]:

It's frustrating when a striker misses a shedload of chances - but at least they consistantly get in the right positions to ensure a steady stream of chances. No reason why Dickson shouldn't come good and be a prolific striker in the CCC - he proved he has the ability when he scored 11 goals for the Jills onloan last season; he just needs to step up one last level.

Same for Dizzy McLeod - always in the right positions to miss. No reason why it won't come right for him again.

A long time ago when I was a kid, my Dad said fancy going over to Fulham ?
    It was the time when Bobby Robson was their manager and he picked a gangly fullback but played him up front.

Fulham lost 1-0 that night - and obviously this striker didn't strike, as he missed chance after chance after chance - but he was always in the right place at the right time.

His name? Malcolm MacDonald.

[url=[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcolm_Macdonald[/url]]Linky[/url][/quote]

I really can't see McLeod scoring much. He just doesn;t have the confidence in front of goal, which at least Dickson has.

I hope Wright gets a chance this season. With him, Jonjo, Basey and Waggy we've got a very promising, energetic midfield.
  • Options
    I wouldn't write off Dizzy just yet ......... I know that it was in a lower division, but he scored more than 20 goals for M*D*ns the season before we bought him, and some of those were quality finishes and solo goals.

Dizzy McLeod - linky

No doubt the £1.1 million transfer fee brought a weight of expectation upon him, which he didn't handle well - but a year on, once he's fit, he may yet prove that he's settled in now.

From the comments of several Charlton players a while ago, they all rate him in training - so no doubt it's just a confidence issue. We'll see.
  • Options
    Amos....I think he will be there or there abouts......I said to Richard before the game that I thought he could be a star of the future...he has the right sort of stature and looks calm and comfortable on the ball. If asked for instance who stood a better chance of being a success in league football out of say Dickson and Wright....my money would be on the latter.

------------------------------------------------------

Cheers Tel
  • Options
    Can I add peeps last season Dover played in the same league as Cray Wanderers but after promotion are now in ryman premier that is still a league below Welling sorry with the squad sent down there it is a shite result.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]Can I add peeps last season Dover played in the same league as Cray Wanderers but after promotion are now in ryman premier that is still a league below Welling sorry with the squad sent down there it is a shite result.

Steve you are really on a downer at the moment. Winning all the pre-season friendlies by 10-0 will not reflect how the season will go. I would rather have a few close games now and all the squad be fit and raring to go come Aug 9th.

Are you going to Brighton? It should be good and you never know we might win and put on a good performance.
  • Options
    We got the three points, and are handily placed in the Wilkinsons Pre-season Friendly Table.

Which we all know counts for eff all.

I don't care if we won 10-0 or lost 10-0, it will not matter one iota compared to what we do over the fourty odd league games coming up.
  • Options
    In reality it wasnt a first team game....just a run out to see who was fit, who is on form et, etc, I wouldnt (as I said earlier) read anything in to this result. However, Saturday will be a bit different as we are going to be playing stronger opposition and Pardew should be starting to think about who is going to be in his strongest line up come August 9th....If he isnt, then Im afraid we are going to be back to square one....just like last season when he didnt know who should be in his strongest team.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    [cite]Posted By: southamptonaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]Can I add peeps last season Dover played in the same league as Cray Wanderers but after promotion are now in ryman premier that is still a league below Welling sorry with the squad sent down there it is a shite result.

Steve you are really on a downer at the moment. Winning all the pre-season friendlies by 10-0 will not reflect how the season will go. I would rather have a few close games now and all the squad be fit and raring to go come Aug 9th.

Are you going to Brighton? It should be good and you never know we might win and put on a good performance.

Can't mate up to my neck in work.