Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What has happened to our £5 note.

edited July 2008 in Not Sports Related
Has It gone, haven't seen or had a £5 note for a while, keep getting coins instead, when i do get a fiver(rarely)it's on it's last legs and paper thin.

Comments

• Options
    I spent one in my village pub after 5-a-side last night.

So £5 note still alive in Cornwall, me luvverrrrrrrrr.
    Anyway, it might be small change in London but you can still get change from buying 2 pints with it, down here.

;o)
  • Options
    I've got one in my pocket at the moment. You can have it for a tenner ....
  • Options
    might just get u a beer in Brighton.
  • Options
    Lifted from the web

The £5 note is becoming an endangered species. An unannounced decision by banks over the past two years not to offer them in cash machines has resulted in a shrinking supply.

But it insists that it still supplies all the notes requested by the High Street banks. Official figures suggest the number in use has stayed around the same over the last five years at just over a billion.

But there is a suspicion that most of these are sitting in the vaults of banks or retailers. The spokesman said retailers appear increasingly to be holding on to £5 notes overnight in their till floats, rather than depositing them with banks, probably for the practical reason of having them available for change.

The result is that the notes that do remain in circulation are increasingly likely to be ripped or tatty, as damaged ones are only weeded out when returned to the banks.

The knock-on effect is that stores cannot offer them in change, which means they have to ladle out vast quantities of coins instead.

The Bank of England produced 63million new £5 notes last year, which is the lowest figure on record. In contrast, just five years ago the Bank printed 240 million new fivers. The huge reduction in new £5 notes in circulation suggests older ones are being passed around for much longer than in the past.

A Bank of England spokesman said yesterday: 'The decision by the High Street banks to only offer £10 and £20 notes in cash machines means people do not have the £5 notes to spend.

'That means retailers don't see them in their tills. Certainly, the number of new £5 notes we are producing has fallen sharply.

'But that is a direct result of a reduction in the demand from the High Street banks. There is no point in us producing new £5 notes if the banks don't want them and aren't issuing them.

'People may be frustrated, but if they want £5 notes they can always go into their bank branch and ask for them.' She said that retailers appear to be increasingly holding on to £5 notes overnight in their till float, rather than depositing them with their banks.

As a result, they do not go through the conventional bank sorting machines which are able to weed out those that are ripped or worn.

Consequently, these are going back into circulation. The demise of the fiver means people may find it increasingly difficult to recall the famous names from Britain's past who appear on the reverse.

All those in circulation feature either the great inventor, George Stephenson, the man responsible for the celebrated Rocket steam locomotive.

He was replaced in 2002 by an image of the Victorian prison reformer Elizabeth Fry. She was only the second woman to appear on the back of an English banknote - following Crimean war heroine Florence Nightingale, who appeared on the £10.
  • Options
    most fivers these days have been up too many hooters..
    lick em & you'd be buzzing

unless its a crisp new note, i'd prefer the change
  • Options
    I think I read somewhere recently that one of the main high street banks is putting in a ATM which only dishes out £5 notes - was it in Hackney or somewhere like that?
  • Options
    Here it is:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nolpda/ukfs_news/hi/newsid_7519000/7519972.stm
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]I think I read somewhere recently that one of the main high street banks is putting in a ATM which only dishes out £5 notes - was it in Hackney or somewhere like that?

Bethnal Green road wasnt it?

Think its about time we had a £5 coin.....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Lifted from the web

The £5 note is becoming an endangered species. An unannounced decision by banks over the past two years not to offer them in cash machines has resulted in a shrinking supply.

But it insists that it still supplies all the notes requested by the High Street banks. Official figures suggest the number in use has stayed around the same over the last five years at just over a billion.

But there is a suspicion that most of these are sitting in the vaults of banks or retailers. The spokesman said retailers appear increasingly to be holding on to £5 notes overnight in their till floats, rather than depositing them with banks, probably for the practical reason of having them available for change.

The result is that the notes that do remain in circulation are increasingly likely to be ripped or tatty, as damaged ones are only weeded out when returned to the banks.

The knock-on effect is that stores cannot offer them in change, which means they have to ladle out vast quantities of coins instead.

The Bank of England produced 63million new £5 notes last year, which is the lowest figure on record. In contrast, just five years ago the Bank printed 240 million new fivers. The huge reduction in new £5 notes in circulation suggests older ones are being passed around for much longer than in the past.

A Bank of England spokesman said yesterday: 'The decision by the High Street banks to only offer £10 and £20 notes in cash machines means people do not have the £5 notes to spend.

'That means retailers don't see them in their tills. Certainly, the number of new £5 notes we are producing has fallen sharply.

'But that is a direct result of a reduction in the demand from the High Street banks. There is no point in us producing new £5 notes if the banks don't want them and aren't issuing them.

'People may be frustrated, but if they want £5 notes they can always go into their bank branch and ask for them.' She said that retailers appear to be increasingly holding on to £5 notes overnight in their till float, rather than depositing them with their banks.

As a result, they do not go through the conventional bank sorting machines which are able to weed out those that are ripped or worn.

Consequently, these are going back into circulation. The demise of the fiver means people may find it increasingly difficult to recall the famous names from Britain's past who appear on the reverse.

All those in circulation feature either the great inventor, George Stephenson, the man responsible for the celebrated Rocket steam locomotive.

He was replaced in 2002 by an image of the Victorian prison reformer Elizabeth Fry. She was only the second woman to appear on the back of an English banknote - following Crimean war heroine Florence Nightingale, who appeared on the £10.

Hey Rothko, that's almost as long as one of my posts ........!

:o)