Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sounds Familiar ?

edited July 2008 in General Charlton
From the Watford Chairman :

Current chairman Graham Simpson has moved to ally fans’ fears about the sale of Darius Henderson and the impending departure of Danny Shittu by claiming the decision is financially motivated. Simpson, who has stated his desire to leave Vicarage Rd insists that the club cannot afford to justify certain players’ wage demands.

Henderson left earlier this week for Sheffield Utd while Shittu is still hoping to revive the stalled talks with Glasgow Rangers.

Although Simpson was quoted as saying that Watford "has to reduce our wage bill", many fans are increasingly nervous about the fact that it appears that Simpson appears to be asset stripping before an impending sale and selling off the ‘family silver’ at the same time.

Simpson defended the Henderson sale and underlined the current club wage policy saying: "I reiterate this club will never return to those dark financial days of 2002 and hopefully fans will have that thought at the forefront of their minds when reflecting on this deal.”

He went on: "A club of our size cannot sustain a massive wage bill without Premier League funding or additional investment. It is well documented our parachute payments run out at the end of this season and we simply have to reduce our wage bill ahead of that. If we didn't then we wouldn't be doing our jobs.”

He added: "We will continue to make decisions we feel reflect the current board's intentions to run this club on a sensible and financially solid basis."

quite right too. However, perhaps a bit more transparency from our Board might not go amiss. I'm already getting fed-up with fellow fans, who don't frequent messageboards or go to meetings, ask me 'where has all the money gone?' or 'why are we selling but not buying?'.

Comments

• Options
    what worries me is they and us might be seeing league 1 as a result..
  • Options
    We won't be seeing League 1
  • Options
    more chance of league 1 than premier though imo
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]more chance of league 1 than premier though imo

More chance of standing still in teh championship than either of the other options though