Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Optimism and pessimism

I don't know about everyone else but I am really not sure what to expect this season. Half of me thinks it will be a good season and the other half thinks it could be a disaster.

On the positive side, we have a side which has good experience down the spine (Weaver, Hudson, Holland, Gray/Todorov) and several players that must be out to prove themselves. If this team clicks, it could be a good season.

On the negative side, we look woefully thin on the ground in some positions. Two or three injuries and/or two or three players not finding the right level of form and we look quite weak. Part of this is because we have all got used to having squads of 25+, but this season we are a proper CCC side where you have to rely on 4 or 5 players to make it work.

I am plumping for a mid-table position this year, but there is probably enough there to be around the promotion spots. On the other hand, if things go badly, we could be struggling at the bottom, especially if it is a tight as last season.

i think this is Charlton's most unpredictable season for well over a decade. Is everyone else undecided too and just hoping we stick six past Swansea to get things off to the right start.

Comments

• Options
    I can never see the point in being pessimistic. If you are you just bring yourself down. I try to look at the positives. Although I expect a mid table finish I am saying to myself that if we get off to a good start, if players like Thomas and Ambrose play to their full abilities, if Waggy, Wright and Shelvey can put in decent stints and if our defenders defend and our strikers can hit the proverbial cow's arse then we have a better squad than Brizzle City or Hull or Stoke and look what they did last season. C'mon !!!!!!
  • Options
    And that's a good post, Large.
  • Options
    realism is what i'd plump for , with a big hint of pessimism ;-(
    this has seen me thru my charlton life very well .... we're not going up and we're not going down...FACT
  • Options
    whats the minimum points for safety in the ccc?
    always used to have a mini celebration on 40pts in the prem!
    over to you, stato's?
  • Options
    50 points is seen as the normal bench mark, I believe.

But last season, Leicester went down with 53 points - unusually high points for a relegation place.
  • Options
    not much in it, between that and a play off spot!
  • Options
    That's why last season's CCC was so abnormally desperately tight.

Playoff position for Watford with just 70 points ...... relegation for Leicester (just checked) 52 points.

Might not be this tight again this coming season.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Morts-Genius[/cite]always used to have a mini celebration on 40pts in the prem!

The players used to start their holidays!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]That's why last season's CCC was so abnormally desperately tight.

Playoff position for Watford with just 70 points ...... relegation for Leicester (just checked) 52 points.

Might not be this tight again this coming season.

exactly, on the positive side we wont need as many points this year to avoid relegation but on the negative side we'll need a few more for the play offs and a few more for automatic, did stoke go up on 82ish??
  • Options
    if it was 82, that's just 27 wins and a draw to aim for and 18 games we can lose...put like that, not only do we not need to be worldbeaters, but dont even need to be that consistent, just up for it...not too much to ask, surely...