Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Quote by Pards on Official Site

edited July 2008 in General Charlton
"I expect to lose a couple more players, not because I want to, but because I have to. Hopefully, I'll be able to bring in a couple to replace them, but whether I can bring players in of the same level remains to be seen."

Happy dayz !!

Comments

• Options
    He's attempting to dumb down already dumbed down expectations.

Its the bottom line, and its what we have to expect.

Doesn't mean in any way though we can't have a good season.
  • Options
    AFKA are you on the pink cider mate ?
  • Options
    who's next to go?

assuming Pards means as well as Boogie & Faye there could be someone else then who?

ZZ & Ambrose not yet fit so could be Thomas or Varney - we have no-one else that any other Championship side would want -& def no-one premiership quality.

happy days indeed !!
  • Options
    Or how about we concentrate on:

"But we've got our players to a very good level. We're ready, we could play tomorrow if need be. We've got young players who have progressed from last year and we're bearing the fruits of that this summer."

Slightly more positive.
  • Options
    At least he's being honest. This time last year, the club were saying that Diawara wasn't leaving, although the speculation had been there all summer.
  • Options
    AFKA are u on the board of directors
  • Options
    CHGCHG
    edited July 2008
    I agree with the positive threads. All this chat about transfers and new siginings is boring me a bit now. The problem last season was the fact that we used 35 odd players. I think go back to basics, get a team to gel, introduce some kids and become a hard to beat unit.

We have not got any money, get over it.
  • Options
    Good point CHG but its the downward trend the club is on thats worrying me.
  • Options
    I think Pardew has half an eye on his long term career.

An inference of Board interference looks far better on his cv than his own transfer and loan incompetence.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]AFKA are you on the pink cider mate ?
    I was drinking that in Brighton, when in Rome...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It is on a downward spiral ShootersHillGuru, I agree, however, for some reason I am not depressed about it. I feel my support for my club strengthening, it reminds me of when I first started going to The Valley in the early 90’s. So revved for the new season and to see what Pards can do with our new look streamlined team.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]who's next to go?

assuming Pards means as well as Boogie & Faye there could be someone else then who?

ZZ & Ambrose not yet fit so could be Thomas or Varney - we have no-one else that any other Championship side would want -& def no-one premiership quality.

happy days indeed !!

Weaver, Thomas, Fortune, Youga Moo2oo, to name but 5 that other Champ clubs would want. Weaver is prem quality without a doubt.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CHG[/cite]It is on a downward spiral ShootersHillGuru, I agree, however, for some reason I am not depressed about it. I feel my support for my club strengthening, it reminds me of when I first started going to The Valley in the early 90’s. So revved for the new season and to see what Pards can do with our new look streamlined team.

To a certain extent I am in CHG's camp here, last season was not a disappointment to me for the failure to get up, but for the lack of heart, commitment and team spirit. If we finish 10th this season but have seen some great battling performances then I will be content, but playing the crap we played last season even finishing in the play offs I'll be less than happy.
  • Options
    problem is pards is such a tinkerer..
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]problem is pards is such a tinkerer..

he won't have enough to tinker with !!
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    If we haven't got money in the championship - who has?

I agree we needed a smaller squad than last year but we have had 2 years of absolute sh*te and I cant see the squad being as positive as AFKA if we don't sign a couple of players capable of going straight into the first team.

And if Pards can;t bring players in of the same level - what is the point of bringing them in at all?

Our attempts to return to the Prem are looking pathetic. Bad singings, worse sales (Reid) and and now no signings.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]AFKA are u on the board of directors

You know i'm not.

You tell me though, what is the point of supporting a club, giving over your hard earned, giving up your weekends, repeatedly travelling the length, wasting your days away talking about it, if you're not prepared to look on things in a positive way.

What possible enjoyment can you get out of it otherwise ?

Charlton is my religion, in my heart it is the greatest football club in the world. My family are active Charlton fans, the vast majority of the people i know are Charlton fans, Charlton is the one thing most people associate me with. And through this site, it takes up a huge, unhealthy part of my life.

I'm not naive to think that things will always go the way we want, there are 92 pro clubs and for everyone having a good time there will be others going through a bad one. We in the grand scheme of things are an average sized club, so we should expect a fair balance of good and bad seasons, it all adds to the colour of it all in my eyes.

And in answer to the original bit, yes i do think we can have a good season as things currently stand. Compared to the start of last season, we have a better centre half (Hudson), and better left back (Youga), a centre mid who could turn out to be very special (Shelvey), a midfielder that never got given a real chance due to the weight of our squad (Racon), two other young overseas players who will benefit from being in their 2nd season of English football (Moo2, Semedo), and a big man little man striker combo that i'm praying will gel together like they did in the Cov match. We have so far lost two aging left backs who wouldn't be first choicers, a striker who was out on loan last season, another striker who gave away more fouls than any other player in the league bar one, and a central defender who many felt was shaky and unreliable.

This league is a massive leveller, anyone can surprise anyone. You go into negatively and you'll achieve absolute f all. Go in with a determined, cohesive winning mentality, and anything is possible. And i honestly believe anything is possibly. Blaming groups and individuals for past mistakes is absolutely worthless now. We are where we are, and there is nothing anyone can do to change it. Lets concentrate on the future, and all move forward, TOGETHER.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    ok AFKA do we all hold hands now ?

As you say its a religion. So after 40 years mostly shit ill still go but i dont think we walk on water just because we are CAFC. I try to keep expectations lowish and be hopefull we do something. Thats difficult at the moment and its not the people on here making it so.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]

You know i'm not.

You tell me though, what is the point of supporting a club, giving over your hard earned, giving up your weekends, repeatedly travelling the length, wasting your days away talking about it, if you're not prepared to look on things in a positive way.

What possible enjoyment can you get out of it otherwise ?

Charlton is my religion, in my heart it is the greatest football club in the world. My family are active Charlton fans, the vast majority of the people i know are Charlton fans, Charlton is the one thing most people associate me with. And through this site, it takes up a huge, unhealthy part of my life.

I'm not naive to think that things will always go the way we want, there are 92 pro clubs and for everyone having a good time there will be others going through a bad one. We in the grand scheme of things are an average sized club, so we should expect a fair balance of good and bad seasons, it all adds to the colour of it all in my eyes.

And in answer to the original bit, yes i do think we can have a good season as things currently stand. Compared to the start of last season, we have a better centre half (Hudson), and better left back (Youga), a centre mid who could turn out to be very special (Shelvey), a midfielder that never got given a real chance due to the weight of our squad (Racon), two other young overseas players who will benefit from being in their 2nd season of English football (Moo2, Semedo), and a big man little man striker combo that i'm praying will gel together like they did in the Cov match. We have so far lost two aging left backs who wouldn't be first choicers, a striker who was out on loan last season, another striker who gave away more fouls than any other player in the league bar one, and a central defender who many felt was shaky and unreliable.

This league is a massive leveller, anyone can surprise anyone. You go into negatively and you'll achieve absolute f all. Go in with a determined, cohesive winning mentality, and anything is possible. And i honestly believe anything is possibly. Blaming groups and individuals for past mistakes is absolutely worthless now. We are where we are, and there is nothing anyone can do to change it. Lets concentrate on the future, and all move forward, TOGETHER.

I'm welling up AFKA, but mostly because I agree 100% with what you say.
  • Options
    i actually read that whole post AFKA.

You done well keeping me interested.
    Agreed with it all.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Very Churchillian AFKA! Well said.
  • Options
    Blimey Smudge....step aside Pards we have a new King of Spin down at Charlton...Bravo my good fellow!
  • Options
    Agree with everything AFKA said
  • Options
    Good post AFKA.

Whilst I would be dissapointed to see players like Bougy leave (I would be equally happy to see Faye on his bike btw) - I would rather our club was run sensibly and responsibly as we enter a period of financial uncertainty.

1. I don't want our great club to go the way of certain overspending ex-premiership clubs
    2. Negativity gets you absolutely nowhere; as soon as fans start booing our players/management it becomes a self fulfilling process that gaurantees failure
    3. It is a ridiculously wide open division, so anything could happen

I can't wait for the start of the season :)
  • Options
    And to add to AFKA's positives, we have a 100% record in pre-season and haven't conceded a goal!
    And a first XI looking something like Weaver, Moo2, Bougherra, Hudson, Youga, Ambrose, ZZ, Shelvey, Thomas, Gray, Varney is as good as anything in this division. Admittedly 1 or 2 players might still go but you never know.
  • Options
    100% except for the opening defeat at Bromley you mean and the one goal conceded there.
  • Options
    so who have we palyed then ? FFS being positive is one thing but Brighton are the only team who are actually in the god dam league and a division below us.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]100% except for the opening defeat at Bromley you mean and the one goal conceded there.
    That was officially a reserve game...
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    "What possible enjoyment can you get out of it otherwise ?"

Hey, some of us love the misery. . . .

I think this year will be a massive struggle, but the whole squad needed a clear out to restart again and that's what we have.

To think Dowie spent £4million on Djimi Traore and Amdy Faye and 2 seasons later we haven't a bean is totally scandalous.

Pardew buys Bougherra for £2.5million whilst we are in the Premiership. So you assume he thinks he's a Premiership player. . . . . that's the kind of lack of judgement that concerns me.

Saying that he did look great on youtube.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]

You know i'm not.

Why Not? you f****** well should be. If the supporters rep position surfaces again you get my vote.