Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Right so who is getting excited about the new season

edited July 2008 in General Charlton
I must admit I am today.

Comments

• Options
    Always. But feel a bit demoralised by whats happening with the squad.
  • Options
    Nervous excitement as I have no idea how it is going to turn out.

But the Sun is out, Racon and Shelvey are doing the biz in midfield and pre-season results are looking good.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Always. But feel a bit demoralised by whats happening with the squad.

Exactly.
  • Options
    I buy the lottery every week been years since i won anything at all. There is always hope.

Well done to the optomists keep it up.
  • Options
    Looking forward to seeing Jonjo again. (Well done for the sponsorship, btw - hope you don't mind those of us who didn't take part still basking in the reflected glory of the CL name in the prog each week!!)

Apart from that, feeling a bit flat...but just back from a week at the sunny (OK, sometimes misty) Mull of Kintyre and now stuck indoors working so I'll put it down to post-holiday rather than pre-season blues.
  • Options
    Looking forward to it, but not really excited if you know what I mean....Hoping to see a lot more of Racon/Shelvey and Wright. Youga & Hudson really looks the part(s) as well. My only worry is that lack of final ball....but it will come.
  • Options
    I am of the same opinion of SHG I always look forward to the first game get down there early have a few brews see the new players but this season I feel very flat.At first I thought it was just me but alot of my mates are of the same opinion
  • Options
    same with me- like a few on here, i've not renewed and waiting to see if anything is done on and off the pitch to make me want to.

Looking forward to Wednesday at Dulwich- a good performance may get me going...
  • Options
    I'm really looking forward to it. Not sure why everyone is getting so down about the money situation as nothing has changed since the EGM way back when. Still think we will see three new players at least before the season starts and I'm full of optimism about some of the current players proving they are better than they may have previously let on.
  • Options
    Excited, looking forward to it....the lot!!!

Regardless of lack of signings i think its the 2 week period where everyone/some gets that little tingle that the new season is starting!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not yet, it's too early. I can't get excited about football until the summer hols are over.
  • Options
    Probably the least excited I've ever been pre-season. There should be some better away trips than last season though, Notts Forest and Cardiff spring to mind! I think finishing above Palace would be enough to constitute a decent season, how depressing is that?!
  • Options
    Nope, I've had the enthusiasm for it knocked out of me by reading this message board all summer
  • Options
    "Nope, I've had the enthusiasm for it knocked out of me by reading this message board all summer "

Hurrah!
  • Options
    bring it on
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Nope, I've had the enthusiasm for it knocked out of me by reading this message board all summer

I'll have to post even more often, Rothers ........... ;o)
  • Options
    Can't wait.
  • Options
    can't wait, and although i'm a little apprehensive, we're stronger than we were last season

goalkeepers - both elliot and randulph have had more first team experience than this time last yr

defence - hudson in mccarthey out, thatcher gone, and youga with more experiance, seems to have calmed his head down abit, basey & moutakill have alot more experiance, semedo can effectively cover rb - all in all stronger than last yr, althou needs bit more depth

midfield - ok our main area of concern, but still stronger than this time last yr, youngsters (inc semedo) with more experience, especially josh wright and racon, thomas looking like he might put in a half decent shift, stronger than last year

strikers - same as last yr, althou now looking alot tighter unit in gray/varney, dicko being fit and ready, I think every1 will agree we will surely score more goals this yr

all in all theres alot of disappointment about not signing x,y and z but we are stronger in every unit than we were this time last yr, however selling and not replacing bougarra will leave us rediculusly short at CB, and I can't even comprehend how bad things will be if we get a few injuries all grouped together.

oh well where would the excitement be if we knew we'd run away with it??!!
  • Options
    can't remember when I last felt this apprehensive about an approaching season. the good news is whenever i have thought we would have really bad season we have gone on to do well.
  • Options
    Always look forward to a new season, take it as it comes, the seasons I remember enjoying the most though involved a lot of youngsters breaking into the first team and not always just because they were ready but because we had sod all else.

Gray and Varney will be key, Hudson and whoever will be key, if Shelvey picks up the good bits of Hollands game he will captain England, Basey I think will also hve a big role to play.

Can't wait to be honest, I got enough shite outside of SE7 to get annoyed and negative about without losing sleep over one of my favourite things!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yep,definitely and we will be considered underdogs once again, which suits us. Teams will turn up at the Valley with less will/intent than last year to take the scalp of one of the pre-season promotion favourites. Cue a younger, fitter, more committed Charlton side fighting for every point, coming unstuck in a fair number of games, but grinding out enough points to secure a play off spot at least.
  • Options
    I'm a bit worried about the lack of signings but I am absolutely gagging for the first game of the season and will be there cheering whoever's in a red shirt.

Very excited about seeing some home grown talent - Shelvey especially.

Not massively optimistic about the season but I think we'll improve on 11th. We need one of the strikers to really kick on if we're going to make the playoffs.