Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Will our start of the season alter our transfer policy ?

edited July 2008 in General Charlton
I tihnk we are becoming more intuned to the fact that the out door is still likely to be busier than the in one.

But how do you see the start of the season impacting ?

Before the window closes, there are 4 league games and 2 cup games, enough time to get an initial judgement on areas where we could look short or top heavy.

Could a particularly good or bad start dictate who we approach the final two weeks of the window ?

Comments

• Options
    In an ideal world it should but all the signals are that financial considerations rather than playing considerations will take precedence.

If the very existence of the Club is in jeopardy then that is the way it has to be.

I personally think a late night sharing a bottle of scotch with Peter Varney would prove illuminating as to our current predicament.
  • Options
    I dont think so. I dont think comments from Pards on the OS actually change anything. I honestly believe that all dealings will be done by the beginning of the season. My feeling is three in and three out.
  • Options
    Pardew has had long enough by now to know the strengths and weaknesses of the squad, and shouldn't be looking at a knee jerk reaction after a handful of games. He may be thinking it is his only chance of getting some money out of the board, though...
  • Options
    the club would be very nieve to work on this basis. Should we have a bad start to the season this potentially would lead to panic buying as well as clubs inflating the price of targeted player, I am more in favour of getting the players in early bonding getting to know the system the team plays, IMO this is the best way forward rather than just buying players due to a bad start
  • Options
    Would there be any movement if we started off very badly?

This could only happen if

a) We have some funds set aside

b) or The Board bring some more cash to the table.

I think both are highly unlikely, although there might be a small amount of scope for a loan player, or a fund for the transfer window.
  • Options
    Even if we are in dire straits, I cannot see us going into the season with only three centre-halves, one of whom is strongly tipped by the manager to leave. I know Semedo has played there but he is too small for the rough and tumble of this division and I don't think we have any kids ready to step up.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickson's God[/cite]Even if we are in dire straits, I cannot see us going into the season with only three centre-halves, one of whom is strongly tipped by the manager to leave. I know Semedo has played there but he is too small for the rough and tumble of this division and I don't think we have any kids ready to step up.
    Well we may not have a choice - one of the kids may have to step up and you never know, he may excel.
  • Options
    Mambo played well at Dartford - not saying his ready, though. But he could get blooded if the need is there, perhaps - especially with a strong character like Hudson beside him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Mambo played well at Dartford .

He's still a long way off Og
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickson's God[/cite]Even if we are in dire straits, I cannot see us going into the season with only three centre-halves, one of whom is strongly tipped by the manager to leave. I know Semedo has played there but he is too small for the rough and tumble of this division and I don't think we have any kids ready to step up.

If Bouggy goes to leave us with Hudson and Forch I reckon some money will be made available for a centre half (and for around 200k we'd get Sodje) plus another on a freebie. Chris Perry would have still done a job in this division. I must admit I can't see that Hudson would have come here if he'd known we're in this situation.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Aswad Thomas would be in front of Mambo I think in terms of readiness......I dont think our start will affect policy as its pretty apparent we dont have any dosh. Im not entirely sure that selling Bougherra will raise any buying funds either....Faye is dragging us down with his wage bill, and it seems unlikely any British club is likely to come in for him...therefore its catch 22 and he wont move abroad for reasons Ive already stated. I wonder who else is likely to be moving on?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: TelinOz[/cite]Aswad Thomas would be in front of Mambo I think in terms of readiness......I dont think our start will affect policy as its pretty apparent we dont have any dosh. Im not entirely sure that selling Bougherra will raise any buying funds either....Faye is dragging us down with his wage bill, and it seems unlikely any British club is likely to come in for him...therefore its catch 22 and he wont move abroad for reasons Ive already stated. I wonder who else is likely to be moving on?

pay Faye off, even half of next years wages, and still save 600k. He can then find himself a Club willing to pay him 12k pw and everybody's happy. Either that or plant some drugs on him, call the cops, and tear up his contract.
  • Options
    Fair enough, AFKA .......Mambi is still raw, I appreciate that.

Apart from BoogieWoogie, Thomas looked sharp at Brighton ...... normally the only Thomas looks sharp is when he's on the telly. So perhaps Pards has promised him a move to the Prem if he looks the part?

Weaver, Ambrose, ZZ are the others with pedigree but all crocked for now - barring a last minute £2mill move for Holland by Dowie. ;o)

Otherwise it looks like either of the 2 main forwards are next in line. Now that wouldn't be good.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    pay Faye off, even half of next years wages, and still save 600k. He can then find himself a Club willing to pay him 12k pw and everybody's happy. Either that or plant some drugs on him, call the cops, and tear up his contract.

Not as easy as that, Large.

Short of breach of contract by the player, imprisonment, or internal discipline - the club would have to pay all Fayes wages up front if they terminated his contract. At a guess, that'd be the best part of £1mill, the club would have to find right now.

Not really an option, is it?