Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The "Two-Year-Plan"

edited July 2008 in General Charlton
Chunes ponders what has happened to those who, during the mediocrity of last season, were arguing that it was never really Pardew or the boards plan to put up a promotion push that year. It was, in fact, this year we were going to settle down and push-on as we were part of the much-referenced - 'two-year plan'.

So if that was your fervent belief, where is your excitement? Or do you now think that the two-year plan was nothing but a statement to drop expectations?

Comments

• I thought it was three year plan. Year Two - bring on the kids and give them some experience, the likes of Racon and Moo2 kick on and then year 3 we go for it. If that fails, it's a four year plan.
  • It’s a good question Chunes.

I am probably one of those this is directed at. I genuinely believed as a club and a team we were in no position to get promoted last year, that we needed the all important 2nd year to blood youngsters like Shelvey, Moo2 and Basey, and turn players like Varney and Youga into the strong Championship performers.

I still stand by some of that. If we were to be promoted this season it would be much more sustainable than last year, though obviously when I was arguing that point last season, I had no belief at the time that the cutbacks in budget this summer would be anywhere near as severe as proved.

At the moment, I don’t believe we are operating in any form of plan to move forward, and until we see signs of stabilisation at least, it would be folly to try and do so.
  • Trying to put any plan together in Football, whether it be a two, three, or five year one would seem to be total waste of time to me in this current climate.

As far as I can see we are back to where we were in the late 90's. A decent well run club with decent prospects and with a chance of promotion if all goes well and others slip up.

We now have to hope that Pardew and his staff are at least as astute as Curbs and his staff were then, to be able to push that extra bit to get the job done.

Hell I'd be happier with a 'Plan B' on the pitch rather than any long term footballing plan off it, as we haven't seemed to have one of those for the last three seasons at least.
  • Totally agree with Killer on this point, just have to hope that in Jonjo and varney and youga ect we have the makings of rufus bowyer etc.. as you said just need pards to get the team spirt right as curbs did back in the 90's sign Charlton Players and play for the shirt not the pound.
  • edited July 2008
    I think a 2 year plan was natural and based around the parachute payments determining our squad size/quality, to that extent and that extent alone I believe it still exists. However I think calling it a promotion push anymore is laughable although it may have started out like that, it has rapidly become living within our means.

Next season will be a new plan necessarily for this reason i.e a drop in income if promotion doesn't happen.
  • Biggest disappointment for me last year was the fact that if there was a 2 year plan we didn't give some of the younger players more playing time. Moo2 should have played more instead of Halford, Varney should have started much more shouldn't have bothered with Lita, Basey more games, Racon...this list goes on. I think we'd be much more positive going into this season knowing which ones of these players were going to make the step-up.
  • What Nug said x 100
  • If you look at the money we blew last year, its difficult to believe that the "Two year plan " is anything other than Pardew propganda. We threw everything into getting back first time and now have to steady the ship which is why anyone who can command a fee is likely to depart.
  • I think that there was always a thought that Pards would be given at least two seasons to get us up hence, certainly in my mind "a two year plan". I can't remember what I said at the time to be honest but I would think my view would be something like don't panic if it doesn't come right in the first season bearing in mind what happened to Pards at West Ham. I doubt that anybody at the club though was under any illusion that promotion in year 1 was the most desireable thing.
  • goo debate, Nug raises a valid point
  • Sponsored links:

• Chunes i posted this a couple of days ago and i was one of those who thought the 2 year plan was one that we should all buy into and i still do much like smudge i feel we are currently in a stronger position than last season even without Bougy

the rose tints are still on for me and others i think lately there has been far too much pesimism and not enough optimistic posts that may give the impression the tides have changed but for me that is not the case at all

i cant see us as being in any worse stae than last year if any in fact i feel we are slightly better off my reasons being

1. The players at the club havent changed that much so they have had longer to bond and gel as a team

2. We have a new unkown starlet in our ranks who is ready to burst on the scene as an unkown quantity in an area of the pitch in which we have been desperate.

3. My expectations are lower and so should everyone elses we are not this Big team that should whoop everyone so get over it and have and breath a bit of confience to the players.

4. Our main competion in this league has got harder however they are also buying a lot of new players and like us last year unless they get extreemly lucky they will take time to gel and bed in.

5. i believe that players like Thomas have changed their attitude, we have not got the biggest squad so everyone knows they have a chance like Racon, Shelvey, Waggs, dicko, Fleetwood and therfore if they are sportsmen they will be driven enough to oust players currently in their position.

6. Toddy may just see this as a make or break season and find the form he showed at pompey to get one last shot of the big league

7. I dont think we should be concerend about loosing Bougy i do think he was a good prem player but that doesnt always make you able to play in the chumpionship i would like to keep him of course but if he goes he goes.

8, and most importantly we are not being lied to or decieved as to what way the club are trying to go down, the are being honset about our financies, they are putting the trust and focus on yoof and that can only be comended.

We may not go up folks but we are a long way off of relegation and doom and gloom
  • Toddy is clearly on his last legs, Racon is a serious gamble as are dicko and fleetwood, if Thomas had changed his attitude he'd have signed a new deal.

However in support of your view, we haven't flogged gray or varney so there must be some thought behind it somewhere?

just my views
  • edited July 2008
    I think in relation to Nug's point, Pardew had stated that this was a 'two year plan' but when we found ourselves in with a shot he felt as though he had to bring in loan players of a premiership quality to push us on.

I agree that he should've played the younger ones. I believe we were, as fans, much happier when he began to give games/sub appearances to Basey, Wagstaff, Jonjo, Youga and Moots then when he was playing Lita, Cook and Halford. If he'd have kept to the youngsters we would've certainly been in better stead this year. But at the same time, our expectations last year were much higher, perhaps he was responding to the fact that we wanted to see the team triumph rather than watch the youngsters blood.

Can we be blamed for that, though? It seems like Pardew was sending us contradictory messages. On the one hand there was the 'two-year plan', yet on the other he was saying we had a real chance. I remember him talking about how once the team had learnt what they had to do to win games, we would fly.
  • Plans eh!

What about Big Sam's five year plan at Newcastle!
  • I think all the pesimists will be pleasantly surprised at the end of the season. I remember reading the posts in the forums last year with about 10 to 15 games to go and so many people were saying he shouldn't play the youngsters cos the senior players should be given the chance to finish what they started and that the young ones wasn't ready. I disagreed then because i knew they were and given a good enough run this season the other teams will be playing catch up this season.Lets all stop being so down about signings we aint done and get behind the players we have, there is some real talent there so lets enjoy the season and the premiership next year
  • We've got to give the youngsters a chance, it's not as if Holland and Zheng in the middle was taking us forward, and Racon has looked impressive nearly every game he's played, Shelvey and Wright have impressed as well.
  • I remember thinking at this sort of time last year that at least relegation would mean some of the younger players would get the chance that they were never likely to get while we were in the Premiership.

It didn't really happen, and by the end of the season the squad list on the back of the programme was getting near to the bottom of the page.
    In a strange sort of way, perhaps being more strapped for cash this year could work in our favour in that we'll have to work with the squad we've got and just get on with it.
  • [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]I think all the pesimists will be pleasantly surprised at the end of the season. I remember reading the posts in the forums last year with about 10 to 15 games to go and so many people were saying he shouldn't play the youngsters cos the senior players should be given the chance to finish what they started and that the young ones wasn't ready. I disagreed then because i knew they were and given a good enough run this season the other teams will be playing catch up this season.Lets all stop being so down about signings we aint done and get behind the players we have, there is some real talent there so lets enjoy the season and the premiership next year

Top post Uncle and from somebody who should know. I'm really looking forward to the new season.
  • im with you uncle thats 4 sure me and nss wanted your nephew in after the 1st yoof cup game at the valley and solly
  • It's really encouraging to read that Uncle. It's good to hear such optimism from somebody who should know just how good some of our young players really are. You've cheered me up no end. Thanks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Glad i could be of assistance now lets enjoy what could be quite a year. A little bit of encouragement goes a long way especially as quiet a few read these posts. Am proper looking forward to saturday should be a great day
  • At last some optimism coming through. We may not be buying at the moment , but that gives more of the youngsters a chance. We've got quite a few who are at least as good as the older players,and they ll only get better.