Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

You may not agree but i like it

I like the way that Charlton has reverted back to type

there is no big fuss being made in the media about who we are selling or signing how much money we have to spend or not as the case may be.

in my opinion since we parted with Curbs too much has been said publicly from the Dowie debarcle, Muzza on Souelyman, Muzza on Jordan all the way up to Pards and his statement of intent to the fans getting players in early to have a real crack at last season and the Reidy has an agreement with me he will see out the season, we all knew most of it was bollocks but there it was in our faces, i used to moan that the club was run silently now i am glad it is back to type.

it can only be good to get back to basics and Charlton values after all that is what got us to the prem in the 1st place.

Comments

• Options
    Yeah I don't like that limelight playing Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool et al.

Bring back McCarthy.
  • Options
    No I don't. There was never that much hype or fuss about who we had signed or not signed compared to the greedy four, but it was nice as an exile to hear at least some news about the club on the telly, and in the papers. It was great being able to exchange banter with customers on a level playing field, so to speak. It's horrible being on the outside, even though I hate the Premier League as much as the next man, it's the only game in town.
  • Options
    I dont mean by the tv companies i mean the Charlton PR machine that imo went wrong too much talk from inside the club. Speculation and debate from outside i would love there to be more of reading back i didnt explain that point
  • Options
    I think Charlton is reverting back to its place in the pecking order of English football based on its size. Very few clubs can sustain a jump in level and plenty have come crashing down after a brief flurry at higher standards. You know that in 5 years the likes of Wigan, Hull and Stoke will not be where they are now. The Premiership is going from bad to worse - not only is their an elite four, there is now a strong next level, which is making it even harder for the smaller clubs to shove in. As an infrequent visitor to The Valley these days, I miss the high standard of the Premiership and the fact that I could see Charlton on TV in Asia, but also realise we are playing a decent standard at the level we should be at. The fear is that we slide down one more - you then still a marked difference in standard which is not dissimilar to non-League football. Hopefully, as history tells us, the board know what they are doing. They have made some made some poor appointments and signings in recent years but in the clamour for success most clubs have bought badly at times. Let's hope they can stabilise us so that the current crop of youngsters aren't playing elsewhere in a year's time. As is said every season - this is an important season for us!
  • Options
    Maybe the board just got lucky with Curbs.
  • Options
    I dont, its horrible being considered smaller than Fulham, Wigan, Hull, Reading, Stoke etc.

The number of threads this week we have had about where weve come from, plucky little Charlton, bla bla bla.

*Puts hand down throat*

We are a totally different football club to the early/mid 90's so please stop comparing.

Fact is post Curbishley the club hasnt been run as well off the pitch as it had in the previous 15 years, and it has not helped with the dross on it.

The Curbishley/Murray dream team was sensational and will probably never be repeated at our club again.
  • Options
    that told you NLA everyone disagrees with you,now you know how I feel ;-)
  • Options
    Its good they disagree Steve cos that makes us right and them all wrong
  • Options
    :-) Ive got a good feeling about the way the club is being run at the moment...the only weak link in my thinking is the manager really, but we will see how it pans out this time around. Meanwhile, Im prepared to back him again, but wont read into his comments too much. I really got sucked in by Mr Pardew last season and I think that raised my expectations too much.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]I dont, its horrible being considered smaller than Fulham, Wigan, Hull, Reading, Stoke etc.

The number of threads this week we have had about where weve come from, plucky little Charlton, bla bla bla.

*Puts hand down throat*

We are a totally different football club to the early/mid 90's so please stop comparing.

Fact is post Curbishley the club hasnt been run as well off the pitch as it had in the previous 15 years, and it has not helped with the dross on it.

The Curbishley/Murray dream team was sensational and will probably never be repeated at our club again.

I agree with most of that but I do think that towards the end the "Curbishley/Murrey dream team" got a bit too comfy and it was detrimental to the team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]The Curbishley/Murray dream team was sensational and will probably never be repeated at our club again.

totally agree can't ever see 7 consecutive top flight seasons happening again, even in riscardos lifetime and he's only 27
  • Options
    I think it is easy to forget that surviving in the Premiership for a smaller club is extremely tough. There are 4 sides that will definitely not get relegated. Then, there are another 5-7 that are extremely unlikely to get relegated. This means that there are 3 from 10 that will be relegated. This is roughly a one in three chance - which means that after 4 years, say, the chances of going back down are pretty high. We are not alone in knowing what relegation means - look at the bottom half of the CCC last season. How many of the bottom 10 from last year would you bet against being in the Premiership in 5 years? Here they are: Tottenham, Newcastle, Boro, Wigan, Sunderland, Bolton, Fulham + the newbies Stoke, Hull, WBA. I might risk a shilling on the top of this pack, Tottenham and Newcastle, being there in 5 years, but the rest will all struggle. It's not Charlton that is the problem - it is the ridiculous way that English football is structured.
  • Options
    If we get back up, its going to be even harder to stay up compared to when we went back up in 2000. So many clubs can now go out and spend millions. In 2000 we spent £4m on Jensen and £3.75m on Johansson, plus a few more signings. Sunderland spent around £30m last season, just to stay up.