Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

penalty taker.

edited August 2008 in General Charlton
is JT our new penalty taker now that reidy has gone ?

the guy shouldn't be anywhere near the box to take them - didn't score all last season so why has he suddenly got the ticket ?

should be a striker or at least a strong character or leader.

for me it should be Gray -took them for Burnley, or Varney. If not then shelvey or basey.

Comments

• Options
    To be fair to JT, he was the only player in the squad who's taken and scored a penalty for us before (ZZ has but he ain't here).

That doesn't make him my first choice, though. If Gray's penalty record is any good, I'd probably let him have first crack at it.
  • Options
    Has to be Andy Gray. He took them for Burnley - scored a cool as you like against us infront of the North Stand if I remember rightly.
  • Options
    shelvey or basey? Based on what exactly???
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: reserves[/cite]shelvey or basey? Based on what exactly???
    Well if Shelvey is good enough to take freekicks from 30 yards why not give him a go from 12 i for a fact know he can score them
  • Options
    The jt penalty was well taken but hit the post, it's a pre-season friendly, none of the squad players sitting behind or along side me moaned.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Badger[/cite]The jt penalty was well taken but hit the post, it's a pre-season friendly, none of the squad players sitting behind or along side me moaned.[/quote]

yep very unlucky
  • Options
    Gray or Ambrose for me.
  • Options
    should always be taken by a striker imo

paid to score goals they should be screaming for the ball
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]
    Well if Shelvey is good enough to take freekicks from 30 yards why not give him a go from 12 i for a fact know he can score them

Yeah, sure it would do his confidence a power of good if he stepped up and missed his first one. Let him walk first eh?
  • Options
    I don't have a problem with JT taking penalties - even the best penalty takers miss ocasionally.

The awesome Sir Clive, who you'd wager your house on to score, missed in the League Cup away to Bournemouth.

Also Morts at home to Leeds in that vital match to preserve our 1st year Prem status, placed his penalty against the foot of the post. If that had gone we may very well not have been relegated that season.

I remember Darren Bent firing a penalty against the inside of the post - luckily for us it went in, but of course it was only a thickness of paint that made the difference.

So why not JT, he obviously does the biz in training and scored for us before?
    It's a mental strength job to take a penalty rather than consumate skill.

And if Pards wants Gray to take them instead, fine.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The awesome Sir Clive, who you'd wager your house on to score, missed in the League Cup away to Bournemouth.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Not correct. Sir Clive only missed one pen in a Charlton shirt and that was at the Valley in a league cup game against QPR in a 1-0 win. Clive scored in a pen shootout at Bournemouth in a league cup game in 1999. Charlton lost on pens that night.
  • Options
    Confused my games, Amos. Thanks for putting me right.
  • Options
    No probs mate. The only reason that game sticks out for me as you quite rightly said Clive was so deadly in front of goal it was a shock to me that he missed a pen for us. Great player. What i would give to have a Clive type player in a Charlton shirt now.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]

Yeah, sure it would do his confidence a power of good if he stepped up and missed his first one. Let him walk first eh?
    He's confidence isn't a problem and why is everyone so scared of age.... Good enough old enough
  • Options
    cant see the problem?

He wanted to take it had the balls to and it hit the post so what
  • Options
    Uncle there is one thing that JJ needs to understand (and yourself) . Although some of us go way way way back the fall from Prem to Chumps is alot longer down than most of us realised. Our home gate in numbers has stayed but in vocal support has just sorta died. God knows much has been written about this and i have no idea why it has happened. Started in the Prem under Curbs and we thought maybe it was the Prem hangers on. Things aint no better in the chumps tho. Our away support once used to be very good seems to be geting smaller each week, again many reasons and maybe no reason (that i understand). The crowd seem to boo very quickly, which was something rare to a team that has seen some ultra shit over the years.
    The lack of money of course will help quality youngersters to come through . Im sure this is going to be a very good season for Jon Jo. It may only be one season in the first team at The valley as it seems Prem teams will part with good cash for youngsters these days. Im sure that the crowd will be behind him and some of the other kids 1000% , but the frustrations of selling players and lesser players coming in
    etc etc if the results dont come he will hear and feel alot of negative stuff.
    I hoped that the club would have a good solid mid field general type to be there for people like Jon Jo when things like that happen or when he gets the crap kicked out of him as he will in this league. Holland my be the guy to have th quiet word but he wont be there when it gets tough.
    Im looking forward to seeing the yourger players have a go this season, i dont think we stand much chance of being really up there, but very few are that shallow (or lucky) to only support a team that wins all the time.

PS everytime i think how shit we are i think at least we aint f**kin Gooners. and that makes me feel alot better.
  • Options
    how is missing a penalty in a friendly going to harm JJs confidence??

He was the most confident player on the pitch yesterday, spraying 20-30 (good) balls about all over the field.

If hed have stepped up and missed, might have brought him back down a bit no way do his confidence any harm.

Id have liked to have seen him take it. We know Thomas CAN take a pen but in a situation where hes not there and Pardew has admitted ZZ might be going then id have let someone else have a pop yesterday, and my first shout would have been Shelvs!!
  • Options
    Goonerhater i'm laughing so much now that always makes me feel better knowing i aint one of them too. As for the quiet crowd dont worry curbs is having the same affect at west ham and that used to have a great atmosphere there. I did have quite a laugh yesterday. I was near the dug out and some annoying spaniard kept calling one of their players like he knew him. The player kept ignoring him so someone shouted " he dont f**king like you so shut the f**k up. It made me laugh cos he did. As for Jonjo he aint some public school poser he's been kicked quite a bit i think you'll be surprised how well he can handle himself
  • Options
    Uncle

i reckon he is gonna smash it up this season and have been looking forward to him getting in since the england school boys games on sky.

GH even the most prolific booers can not and should not be allowed by those near them to cane into a team that has had no money spent and has yoof within it

i know for a fact i wont tollerated it near me
  • Options
    Shelvey is going to be a great player, what worries me about him is that we are expecting a lot from him and maybe we are going to be seeing a lot of him when I'd rather he was brought on quietly and gently as we did with Parker and Bowyer.

This season he'll not only be playing for Charlton but attending a lot of squad sessions for his age group at international level, with all the training and travelling it's expecting a lot for him to consistently perform in one of the hardest areas on the pitch. The consequence could be that he'll burn out by the end of the season and/or and suffer a few injuries on the way.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'd have about ten players ahead of JT to take a pen. First in my queue would be Andy Gray. When we signed him people were saying he'd scored x number of goals but x were pens. Logical choice. Second in my list would be Varney, I also like a striker to take the pens. They are there to score goals so what better opportunity that a pen. Third coice would be Jonjo, he has the confidence and I reckon he'd wallop it so hard the keeper wouldn't stand an earthly.