Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Away Days - What happened to our Supporters Saturday

edited November 2006 in General Charlton
Not making excuses for the team who were gutless, woeful, abject, no they were not even that good, but what was up with our support on Saturday. Small pockets of people trying to raise the team, the other 90% pretty much sat there in silence. Sorry that is lame. We took slightly less to Fulham away & that was what I call an away atmostphere, Saturday was an embarrassment both ON & OFF the pitch.

Comments

• Options
    Agreed Ketters agreed. It was awful showing from our fans, good numbers but no noise! embarrassment just about sums it all up.
  • Options
    I guess at Reading there were a lot of Valley Golders who probably aren't the vocal sorts anymore.
  • Options
    We only have an atmosphere when we take enough away to make a noise yet have enough empty seats so people can stand with like minded people at the back - like Fulham.

Best atmosphere was on the bus back on Saturday.
  • Options
    i think for a lot of shall we say, older element of the support, it was a new ground and an easy drive.

these type of games see us taking a very different support to say Chesterfield.
  • Options
    i think the crap from the off, given what had happened in the week, clearly knocked everyone back and by the time the first goal came the players had totally lost our respect...saturday was down to the players, pure and simple...reading wanted to play 90 mph football, our guys looked like they couldn't be arsed (they're professional footballers, they shouldn't need to be told how to stop a team like that in its tracks)...on the rare occasion when we did play the ball about reading couldn't get near it until we inevitably gave it back to them...and as soon as reading got it back they had only one game plan, helped by too many of our players going missing straight away...there was a spell second half when the fans tried to rally the players but the players weren't up to it...dont blame the fans for saturday...
  • Options
    agree with both LTGTR and Southend- The tosh on the field and a scattering of vocal support over the whole away section put an end to any real noise.
  • Options
    I agree with Ketman 100%

I thought our fans were shocking on sat - it was humiliating having the Reading fans taking the P all game at how quiet we were

Its not just the singing that was absent - no one near me was even applauding on the (rare) occasions we did some well

A great defensive header by Elk was met by complete silence......all our fans seem to do is moan + moan, thats hardly gonna make them play better!
  • Options
    our support has always been pitiful...where i used to sit in the west stand upper i was looked at with contempt for singing...unfortunately we have a lot of deadwood for supporters
  • Options
    "........all our fans seem to do is moan + moan, thats hardly gonna make them play better! "

Unfortunately Griff - nothing seems to make them play better, but I do know what you mean.
  • Options
    if the players cant be arsed to do it because they like playing the game, or if they cant do it out of pride, or if they cant do it for the money, then the fans getting behind them clearly isn't going to make the slightest bit of difference...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Compare that to the Reading fans - at one pont on Sat their entire stadium rose as one to sing, it sounded spot on
  • Options
    In fairness to Charlton fans did we not have the whole stadium singing when we first went up & only had 20,043 in every week.
  • Options
    familiarity breeds contempt...i think that's the saying
  • Options
    It was the lathergy from the players that deflated the fans.
  • Options
    I went to Lakeside ;)
  • Options
    I think that I need something on the pitch to believe in. I scream at the players to play better, but just see people who shy away from the truth that they are not standing up and fighting back for the cause.

I was never a particularly gifted player, but I was made captain of every team I played in long-term. Why? Because I drove my team on to do the best that we could and that wasn't always having a go when we were crap, but giving a slap on the back to the good stuff too. I didn't play at a high level, so I am not trying to show off here.

Now I need someone to do that for me in the Charlton team. No agendas asides from wanting his team to fight together to win in the long run. A manager cannot do this during a match no matter how good they might be - we need leadership on the pitch, both players and fans.

I'll still shout, scream and sing as I did on Saturday, even though we were gobsmackingly bad. For the quiet people that sat/sit around me, they want to cheer us on but I can understand if they think it fruitless when there isn't a single player on the pitch you can indentify with. I.e. do they care enough about doing right for my club for me to care about them? DB comes close, but is so isolated that he can barely affect things.

I'm waffling now, but I want to say that the best way for our club to lose this feeling of things turning rotten is to chuck out this current rotten attitude. It may take just one player to start a turn around and take the others along with him. I am ready to cheer him on.
  • Options
    As someone mentioned above, we need a few hundred empty seats for the singers to congregate. I personally thought that we made more noise at Wigan - even if we had about a quater of the fans that we had at Reading.
  • Options
    well the reading stuards didn't help much as they were really intolerant with people standing up. I thought atmoshpere was really poor on saturday and every time i tried to stand up when singing along to valley floyd road, i was told to sit down by this grumpy guy behind me.
  • Options
    We'll make more noise at Sheffield than we did at Reading, even if we toke 500 there we will still make more noise than we did at Reading. But like someone mentioned we will only need unreserved seats for games which we will cleary sell out.
    And when we do sell out you can bet your bottom dollar that half of the fans won't sing.
  • Options
    because like at all away games that we sell out at, the miserable OAP gits who sit there and moan all game and spend more time berating our own fans than watching the game decided to turn up for their one away game of the season as it was only an hour's drive...

it'll be back to normal in sheffield... selling out 1/2 to 2/3 of the stand, with the singers and standers able to do as they please - generates a much better atmosphere and means those not up for standing or those with kids don't have to suffer...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    2000 season ticket holders,at fulham it was a mix much better like that.
  • Options
    Just looking at the people on MOTD2 on the coaches says it all. I know I can't criticise as I wasn't there but really did you see 'em. Oh dear

SIDDDDARRRN
  • Options
    Bring back the FOG HORNS and standing areas.
    That should help those mute plastics