Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is there really

edited November 2006 in General Charlton
much difference between the present team and our best ever Premiership team?

26th October 2003 ..... Available 2006/7
Team (H)v Arsenal D1-1 ..... subject to fitness
Eventual position 7th ..... Presently 20th

Kiely ............... Carson

Kishishev............... Young
Fish ............... Diawara
Perry ............... Sorondo
HH ............... Traore

Holland ............... Rommedahl
Parker ............... Faye
Jensen .............. Reid
Stuart ............. . Thomas

JJ ............. Bent D
Di Canio ............. Hasselbaink

I don't think there is a lot of difference on paper beween these two teams. Parker is obviously rather better than Faye but then Young is better than Kishishev and Bent D is better than JJ. Otherwise I think the respective strengths and weaknesses more or less cancel each other out.

Why the vast difference in attaiment between these two sides then? Was Curbs that great (sorry AFKA to look back:-) ) or is (was) there something fundamentally wrong with the way the present lot are (were) being organised?

Comments

• Options
    Perhaps its not us at all, other teams are just better now!
  • Options
    i think curbs was that great
  • Options
    PARKER
    The rest of the Newcastle team must shocking.

Perhaps he could slate Shepherd and get sold back to us?
  • Options
    I think Parker and Jensen were the major difference, plus PDC's ability to link the midfield and attack.

At the back I'd wager we are currently stronger, but if the midfield keep getting over run and or giving the ball away then theyre instantly under pressure
  • Options
    that's a really good point len, and i don't know the answer.

did we really play the bulk of the season with fish and perry ? was that not costa's half season ?

did we play effectively 4 centre mids for most of the season ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]did we play effectively 4 centre mids for most of the season ?

We did. Meant we didnt have much width, but we were solid and hard to break down. Something you can do if you have players with the vision of Claus and PDC.
  • Options
    the main difference is that the current side has 3, (i think reid played wide for forest and spurs) out and out wingers who have no defensive qualities, as opposed to 3 midfielders all with defensive qualities, covering the creativity from the middle.
  • Options
    Holland ............... Rommedahl
    Parker ............... Faye
    Jensen .............. Reid
    Stuart ............. . Thomas

Holland was really effective on the right, Rommedahl is awful, Parker and Faye the gulf is huge though I am a Faye fan, he is not the same sort of midfielder. Jensen is/was so much better then Reid a previous PL flop though again I think Reid has qualities just not central midfield ones. Stuart was a very underated player who worked hard for 90 minutes whereas Thomas is a very overated player who is only fit enough to play 60 minutes.

I am sorry I am feeling very negative; PDC and JFH at least PDC could run....
  • Options
    Why is everyone saying that Sorondo should play in front of El K.

They can say that Sorondo is better due to seeing him playing a few games.
  • Options
    He has always played well in those games though, gets stuck in, reads the game well. El K is looking more and more of a liability. Plus it means we wont waste goal scoring opportunities with him shooting from 40yrds. We might actually be able to whip a decent ball into the box.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: pickwick[/cite]Holland was really effective on the right, PDC and JFH at least PDC could run....

I think in our hunt to hammer this squad and lord a previous one, we're getting a bit dreamy in our reminiscence. Holland always suffered from people saying he was anonymous, while although Di Canio was productive, he didn't score any goals either.

Saying that, I know what i preferred though...
  • Options
    Stuart was a great player for us, not a wide player but did really well for us out there.
  • Options
    AFKA fair point, but PDC although didn't score I think would have been more effective with DB than JFH is proving, hindsight and all that.

I always thought Holland was Ok on the right, anonymous when through the middle as he is now, was it v Birmingham away that he played really well there early in his first season. I think it was only when Parker left and he was directly compared with Holland (which was unfair) did Holland really start to get slagged.

Also if we compare those two teams; the first one was only together so briefly.

I guess it was the last ime I really enjoyed the footie, apart from the beginning of last season what until we lost to Spudz.

This season however does have a certain fascination about it.