Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Website design/hosting - Your recommendations. . .

2»

Comments

• Options
    Some good info on here - thanks to everyone.
  • Options
    johnny73 said:
    I was thinking of moving my website to squarespace hosting who are located in the USA and obviously I'm based in London!

Does anyone know if it matters where the web hosting is located, in terms of functionality etc.,?

Any feedback appreciated.
    Do they have a data center based in the UK or Europe?
    Where are the majority of your customers based?

The answers could determine loading times of your website. That's without getting into the optimising of your website for general speed etc.

My advice is to select a provider based on the location of the majority of your customers.
    From the impression I get, could be wrong, it doesn't matter where the host is, providing the website loads quickly and all it's functions and associated links work, which based on the fact that a number of UK companies use Squarespace would suggest they are compatible.

Sorry for the delay. 

Most likely it would be an extra delay of milliseconds (the data will have further to travel) so many other factors come into speed that unless you're optimised to the hilt it probably will not matter.

However if a delay does exist, you will be stuck with it. Probably worth you giving it a good Google.

As your website is I assume already prebuilt and you will not be using proprietary Squarespace software, you will not receive that benefit.

I have no experience of Squarespace. If you're website goes down, are they able to fix your problems within the same business hours that you work? Is that important? 
    Do you foresee them handling similar queries from other existing customers? It could benefit you in the long run, as it will mean forums and solutions will already exist on the web.

Sorry not trying to over complicate your decision. The majority of times any decent web host would be fine.
  • Options
    johnny73 said:
    johnny73 said:
    I was thinking of moving my website to squarespace hosting who are located in the USA and obviously I'm based in London!

Does anyone know if it matters where the web hosting is located, in terms of functionality etc.,?

The answers could determine loading times of your website. That's without getting into the optimising of your website for general speed etc.

My advice is to select a provider based on the location of the majority of your customers.
    From the impression I get, could be wrong, it doesn't matter where the host is, providing the website loads quickly and all it's functions and associated links work, which based on the fact that a number of UK companies use Squarespace would suggest they are compatible.

Sorry for the delay. 

Most likely it would be an extra delay of milliseconds (the data will have further to travel) so many other factors come into speed that unless you're optimised to the hilt it probably will not matter.

However if a delay does exist, you will be stuck with it. Probably worth you giving it a good Google.

As your website is I assume already prebuilt and you will not be using proprietary Squarespace software, you will not receive that benefit.

I have no experience of Squarespace. If you're website goes down, are they able to fix your problems within the same business hours that you work? Is that important? 
    Do you foresee them handling similar queries from other existing customers? It could benefit you in the long run, as it will mean forums and solutions will already exist on the web.

Sorry not trying to over complicate your decision. The majority of times any decent web host would be fine.
    My Mrs' website that I designed and maintain was down the other day after I changed the domain name. I sent them an email and got a reply after about 3 hours (When I assume their office opened). Another time I had a query about something when starting out and was helped by someone on "same time" chat. I spose if you're unlucky enough to have some sort of serious issue, just when their offices close, this could maybe be a problem.

I learned everything to design the initial website from this video, and everything else was picked up during that time by trial and error -

https://youtu.be/i5EBcGMqDp4
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    johnny73 said:
    johnny73 said:

Sorry for the delay. 

My current website  http://www.martinvallis.com/  which I’m not overly keen on now, wouldn’t be adaptable on their servers, so I’d have to start again with one of their templates so would get full support.

The only hassle is redoing my site but looking at their videos, it’s only a matter of getting use to the technicalities and I don’t think that would take that long, plus their templates are customisable, which is nice.

Also just saw this, it must be a sign that the gods are looking down on this favourably!