Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is This True?

edited August 2008 in General Charlton
http://fansonline.net/gillingham/mb/view.php?id=42989

Comments

• Options
    What the offer, or the fact that yer average gill is a sad, ignorant, bitter cowpat dweller?
  • Options
    Both :-)

Maybe it's me but if there is to be a concessionary offer undercutting the rate per match paid by both season ticket holders and ordinary fans then I would rather it went to schools rather than to KCC employees.
  • Options
    Seems an email has gone round Kent CC employees that they can get tickets for the Reading game at £5 - max 4 tickets.
  • Options
    I would suspect Len that the Schools offers are being touted regularly by the club and that the KCC thing is perhaps an additional one off, if it exists at all.

I would imagine there are all sorts of offers that get handed out weekly that we don't hear about, can't say that it bothers me all that much, especially as it might bring in a few extra quid into the coffers, either through ticket sales or kiosk revenue.
  • Options
    Don't know if it is true or not (Airman Brown will refute or confirm) but there are a whole range of similar offers and most often aimed at schools, youth teams etc but also other agencies like KCC.

ST holders still get value for money for the reason that the offers are moved around geographically so that it's not the same people able to get them.

In the short term better to sell some tickets at £5 rather than leave them empty. The club also get on average £1 per head spend in the ground on food/programmes etc.

In the long term it is a strategy that works in introducing people to the Valley and converting them to regular buyers of match tickets or even ST. Gills fans can scoff all they like but they play in a poor stadium in front of poor crowds and are doing nothing to change that.

Reading is going to be hard to sell with it being a lunchtime TV game so this is a good game to give it a try. ST holders would still get value for m
  • Options
    Our community / kids schools worked is heavily linked with KCC, we have strong ties there, and its beneficial to us that they are maintained.

Things like this help this i presume.

As a ST holder, i have no issue with the club offering cheaper tickets to various groups if that increases the chances of filling the stadium and gaining the odd fan for the future.
  • Options
    It's schemes like this that have helped us get where we are (in terms of support) today.

It wasn't that long ago that the target 10,00 campaign was running.
  • Options
    DaveMehmet CommentTime3 minutes ago

It's schemes like this that have helped us get where we are (in terms of support) today.

It wasn't that long ago that the target 10,00 campaign was running

Exactly and it's now Target 40,000
  • Options
    They're offering the same deal for Bexley Council Employees.
  • Options
    I was by the tip today, something was going on. Seemed more wheels on cars than usual, the natives were revolting..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2008
    My god..... they're such a bitter little mob aren't they!
    Never miss an opportunity to slag us off but never ever have the gumption or savvy to try anything themselves.
    The Spanners have nicked a few of our ideas here and there over the years but The Jills....well they're just a non entity in almost every department I'm afraid to say.
    I always had a soft spot for them, going back some years, but since I've been on the message boards over the last few years their attitude towards us is for the most part really hostile, so those feelings have been well and truly scuppered I'm afraid to say.
  • Options
    I support these kind of initiatives which have helped to grow our support base. I don't care that I've paid my money for a season ticket as I would have done this anyway whatever deals/schemes etc were in place. I know quite a few people who have seen us over the last few years on comp tickets and some have come again. Often it's the first step thats the most difficult. I took my wifes cousin and his two lads last year for the first time. They wanted to come before but didn't know exactly how to get to the ground, where to park etc. Since coming with me, he as taken his boys again on their own.

So more power to the elbow of the Target 40,000 team I say.
  • Options
    This is good marketing and it isn't rocket science and certainly not something that Gillingham couldn't replicate if they simply bought a book on marketing or looked at how to market sports events.

I'd also be talking to all large organisations in north west Kent/SE London and offering them deals, particularly for midweek league cup games.
  • Options
    Gillingham could bus in they're army of coastal support if they wanted to, they would just rather blame us for nicking all the kings ferry coaches though.

Scally is a twat, the fans hate him but unfortunately for them he won't be going anywhere in the near future.

As a Charlton season ticket holder I have no problem with us doing stuff like this. The new freshy plastics whatever you want to call them are not going to be in my seat.
  • Options
    According to the latest estimates there are 1,634,600 people living in Kent, many of them in the Medway towns. I don't know how many consider themselves football fans but that's plenty for both Gillingham and Charlton. Again Scally seems to be blaming us for his lack of ability to market Gillingham properly.
  • Options
    As a season ticket holder I have no problem with the principle of concessionary tickets. As has been said Target 10,000 worked well as will Target 40,000 (unless a few went last night :-) ).

I just didn't understand why we were targeting a particular group of employees (KCC) rather than youngsters.

However as AFKA says KCC proably help our Community initiatives so it would make sense from that viewpoint.

As long as we are not "greasing a few palms" in preparation for the move to our new ground in Kent :-)
  • Options
    No brainer really - Get the kids in to see a match in a decent stadium. If we get 5000 kids through the turnstyles the season and 10% of those kids come back with Dad and brother/sister/friends. It's the future support for our club. Worked with my son's school, I know of 10 kids in his year who have been going regularly because the school got discounted tickets.
  • Options
    "No brainer really - Get the kids in to see a match in a decent stadium. If we get 5000 kids through the turnstyles the season and 10% of those kids come back with Dad and brother/sister/friends. It's the future support for our club. Worked with my son's school, I know of 10 kids in his year who have been going regularly because the school got discounted tickets. "

I have no problem with the 4500 that have taken an interest, its the 500 playing runouts while I`m trying swallow a pint that pi55 me off ;-)