Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Solly

SE7SE7
edited August 2008 in General Charlton
I don't really know much about this lad but seeming as it says on cafc.co.uk, that he will be pushing for a first XI place this season I would like to know if anyone knows much about him and if he has potential?

Comments

• Options
    From seeing him just a handful of times, he appears fiercely competitive and keen to support his winger. Quick and strong though not the tallest (not necessarily a problem for full backs). Appears to be behind Sam Long in the pecking order at the moment.
  • Options
    Impressive in the youth FA Cup.

Physically and in running style reminded me of Bowyer

Highly rated by Steve Gritt who said that despite not being the biggest he wins a lot in the air and has excellent positioning.
  • Options
    His brother is one of the best 5 a side players in Kent!

He is slight but loves a tackle, and is very tigerish as Paddy7 says
  • Options
    I think he's ahead of Sam Long in the pecking order imo.
  • Options
    "I think he's ahead of Sam Long in the pecking order imo."

That's good, Large. Didn't realise he was crocked and wondered why he didn't appear in the pre-season games. Guess it's asking too much for all the boys to come in at once, but he strikes me as the sort of player fans will really take to one day; a tough little full back who loves defending.
  • Options
    Another Phil Warman ..... ?
  • Options
    Kevin Dickenson?
  • Options
    Out of the 3 youth cup games he was the most consistent across all 3. I then saw him play in the academy league game v Spurs where he played centre mid and looked very comfortable
  • Options
    Good player, real chance of making it in the first team.
  • Options
    Hey, Len ...... loads of people on here are probably thinking Phil Warman, Kevin WHO....????

I bet they don't know who Jack Burkett or Dietmar Bruck are...... ;o)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When I first saw him I thought he was far too small and lightweight.

Within 10 mins, after he had kicked the Sunderland winger up in the air a couple of times I really warmed to the lad.

Tenacious was a word invented for this fella - and fearless.

Also a very very good player as I recall - certainly no worse than Moo2 at right back
  • Options
    I know his old Sunday Manager who is still friends with the family.He was due to play against Coventry but picked up the injury at the end of last year.Also after releasing him and Charlton picking him up Arsenal begged him to go back,but he refused.
  • Options
    At the beginning of the season, people were writing positive reviews of Chris Solly. It would be nice if we could see another academy player come through the ranks. With the impending departure of Butterfield and the probable sale of Moutouakil, I wonder whether Solly can push for the right back berth seeming as we have had problems with that position all season, and last season as well? I haven't seen anything of him but have heard good things. Has anyone seen him in the reserves lately?
  • Options
    I saw him in the youth cup against Spurs, was just as good as when I saw him the year before against Sheff Utd. Also saw him in the Brighton game (the away one, not the one yesterday), didn't notice him as much but still did a good job.

What I said back in August still applies, shame he hasn't yet made his debut. Far more potential than Wagstaff, Basey and probably some of the others.

I can see us bringing someone in but hopefully he gets a proper chance next season. Don't want to see him leaving because he never gets a long run in the side, like Yassin will be.

From the preview on the OS it sounds as if he'll probably be on the bench on Sunday, should start him, but I get the feeling they agreed to play Butterfield whenever he's available.
  • Options
    Perhaps Butterfield needs a good kicking in training.
    You know what to do Chris, mate ........

;o)
  • Options
    Chris Solly is well worthy of a start, so is Basey.

Chris Solly's brother is one of the best 5 a side players I have ever encountered also
  • Options
    I've only seen him a couple of times (over a year ago) but whenever I've seen him he looks excellent.

Only small but christ can he tackle! Good pace and passing too. If he fills out and maintains his current attributes he could be a wonderful player. I hope to see him on Sunday as I seem to recall Lee Croft playing for Norwich and being a true wind-up merchant - hopefully Solly can introduce himself to us all by smashing that muppet into row S of the North Stand!
  • Options
    I've never seen him play but he is very highly rated by players that train with him.

Aparently would have started more games but he's on a £1k appearence bonus, even to be on the bench I believe.

Saying that he was supposed to play months back but got injured.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: reserves[/cite]I've never seen him play but he is very highly rated by players that train with him.

Aparently would have started more games but he's on a £1k appearence bonus, even to be on the bench I believe.

Saying that he was supposed to play months back but got injured.

That's crazy he's a youth player!