Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Luke Varney

edited August 2008 in General Charlton
Let me say first, that I like Luke Varney. But i am starting to wonder if he is the answer to our goalscoring problems. I admire the way he closes players down and puts players under pressure, and he covers plenty of ground. Its just that most of his best work seems to be when he's out wide, and cuts inside. he also is one of our better crossers of the ball. Unfortunately, he doesnt seem to get on the end of much through the middle. I dont know if it's a lack of decent service from midfield, or he really would be better playing wide with maybe Gray and Dickson/An other up front. What do you think ?

Comments

• Options
    BR

i have said this since last season nice guy tries hard but is not a centre forward more of an industrius winger
  • Options
    To be honest I'm a bit fed up with everyone saying how hard he works. I'm glad he does put it in but its time to deliver. We paid alot of money for him and he did sod all last season bar Palace. You can call it settling in period last season and I can give him that but this season he has to produce the goods. I really hope he does because he is a likeable chap.
    I don't feel hes a goalscorer, missed so many chances since hes joined including saturday but he can def play 2nd striker creating and hopefully chip in with a few
  • Options
    i rekon varney wil come good this season his work rate is great just needs 2 convert his chances.He can bang the goals in watch him on youtube its if he can step up a league and do it in the championship.
  • Options
    One really annoying thing about him is the amount of times he gets caught offside. Why is it that it always seems to be the pacy players that have this problem? - the ones who probably don't need to time it so tight in order to get the run on the defence. Surely it only needs a bit of thought.
  • Options
    Maybe if he gets one soon he'll go on a run of scoring. He certainly needs one, he was so poor last night.

With the energy he puts into chasing defenders, he doesn't seem to be able to calm down and compose himself when he's in attacking positions. When he gets the ball near goal, he's still bustling, not thinking about his day job, as a striker.
  • Options
    Varney reminds me of a certain Garry Nelson - committed, high work-rate, lots of good work outside the area but never a 20-goal a season man
  • Options
    always thought he was very similar to nelson. a great work horse and user of the channels, creating space for others. but for a team with any championship promotion aspirations at best a squad player.
  • Options
    What puzzles me is that it has taken people this long to realise.

I like Varney, tries his guts out, but any team with realistic chances of promotion has to have at least one striker who is going to get a load of goals (Mendonca 98, Hunt 00)

We havent got that, and thats the only reason why I dont think we will be close to going up as the rest of the squad, and defence in particular, is pretty good in my opinion.
  • Options
    to be honest Southend we are never gong to have a 20 goals a season man until our wingers begin to create more. Gray can do it but he needs service....
  • Options
    Looking at the stats as they stand today - with his current scoring ratio, Andy Gray's on target for 46 goals this season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2008
    Gray will get 15 goals.

Iwelumo could have, but they all need service. When Reid went Iwelumo's goals dried up.

Agree about Varney, lot of endeavour but little end product. Which is a shame as I like the guy.
  • Options
    Good shouts on this thread. I agree that Varney would be better as a winger. He can cross a ball better than Sam or Thomas, is faster than both of them and has a better workrate than both as well. Thomas is obviously a better player, but far too often last year teams figured that out and, as a result, he had no room to play in. Stick a genuine threat out on the other flank and we'd be much more well balanced.

Also, I agree that Gray could be a 20 goals a season man, but that's never going to be the case when we don't get the ball to him in the box.

I also agree that we aren't far off being a good team, but we are still very short in centre mid and centre half. Hopefully bailey will be as good as we all hope, and stoke will buy that useless sack of **** Faye so we can get a centre half in.

For what its worth, the main question for me per season was whether or not the youngsters will come through this year. From what I've seen so far, Shelvey is almost ready, as is basey, but wagstaff is nowhere near the first team yet. I think we'll need a few more squad players before the window closes - we're desperately thin if zz or Holland or bailey get crocked
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I think it is harsh to judge Varney on last seasons perfomances. I can't recall him ever getting a decent run of games what with injury and Pardews strange team selections. The service from midfield was pretty much non exsistant which meant that he was always forced to come out wide.

Before and real judgement is made on him, I'd like to see him given a run of 10 games playing alongside Gray so that they can get a partnership going. If he is missing a host of chances then reconsider but, as someone said above, we spent a lot of money on him, lets give him a chance.

I do agree with Off_it though, he really shouldn't be getting caught off side as much as he does.
  • Options
    Vincenzo: With the energy he puts into chasing defenders, he doesn't seem to be able to calm down and compose himself when he's in attacking positions. When he gets the ball near goal, he's still bustling, not thinking about his day job, as a striker.

Agree entirely with this. Much as we like to see our players chasing down, and I recognise the importance of defending from the front, especially in this league, I think Varney works too hard. The majority of his energy should be put into runs that will give him goal scoring opportunities, not chasing down a lost cause on the opposition's by-line. It's hard to knock a player for this but if there's any position where I'd be more than happy to support a less active but effective player, it's centre forward.
  • Options
    Give the guy a chance he needs a run of games, last season he was in and out the team due to the tinkering of Pards or through injury as well as when he did play Varney never had a settled position, one week he was up front then on the wing, he in the meantime put in some good performances was very industurous and although we as fans don't appreciate his running around and chasing lost causes,I bet his strike partner does
  • Options
    Mind you, PassIt, Gray IS the 'least active but effective player' of the two, holds the ball up well, brings players into the game and capable of finding the back of the net.

Varney on the other hand, is not so much 'Johnny-on-the spot/fox in the box' type striker - but he's great at running at defences.

Last season, just before the Palace home match, Pards gave Varns a free role and told him to 'play like in the school playground'.

Varney relished that free role playing a bit deeper, popped up all over the park, tore Mark Hudson to shreds and scored 2 well taken individual goals.

Palace, at the time on the back of a long unbeaten run and with the best defence in the division, couldn't handle him.
  • Options
    I should add that I really like Varney, and definitely want to see him given a run of games - I just wish he'd channel his energy slightly deifferently.
  • Options
    I should add that I really like Varney, and definitely want to see him given a run of games - I just wish he'd channel his energy slightly deifferently.
  • Options
    All this run of games nonsense!!

You know full well he'l go 5 games without a goal and well all start shouting him out.

But i do agree that we should give him a more time. Think it may be a confidence job and that once he gets one or two hel be away!!

That said, Pards has stated Varney and Gray are 'The main men' so he really needs to get one under his belt like Gray has pretty quick.
  • Options
    "One really annoying thing about him is the amount of times he gets caught offside. Why is it that it always seems to be the pacy players that have this problem? - the ones who probably don't need to time it so tight in order to get the run on the defence. Surely it only needs a bit of thought. "

The very same was often said about a certain Darren Bent Offy
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't worry Pardew will be paying Varney at Centre Half on Saturday

Heard this at The Valley when someone was discussing Nelson.

"nice man, wrong job"
  • Options
    I will put what little reputation I have on Luke being player of the season and top goalscorer and all round fans favourite come the end of season. In fact I have £50 for CL's favourite charity if he isnt.
  • Options
    Yeah Stanmore, but Darren Bent delivered the goods didn't he?

Anyway, with DB he always used to look along the line and you could see him trying to time it. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn;t. LV seems to just charge on regardless.

Maybe a bit harsh on my part, but a glut of goals would certainly gloss over any failings on that front.
  • Options
    Pardew talked about a player who showed nerves on Tuesday. You would've thought he meant Wagstaff but I wonder if, after the misses, it was Varney he was on about??