Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Team for Watford

edited August 2008 in General Charlton
Mine would be:

Weaver

Semedo
Fortune (If fit)
Hudson
Youga

Bouazza
Bailey
Racon
Shelvey
Basey

Varney

Subs:

Elliot
Moo2
Holland
Gray
Thomas

Away from home, I'd like us to be more solid in midfield, hence playing five and I'd like to see how Varney gets on as a loan striker with his work rate. I'd keep Racon following his performance last week and try him alongside Bailey. Basey can sit on the left and allow Youga to bomb on. I'd keep faith with Shelvey as with some more cover around him he could orchestrate things better.

I've put Moo2 on the bench because we'll need some defensive cover if Fortune breaks down with either Semedo or Youga moving to the middle. If we need to chase the game then Thomas on for Basey and Gray on for Racon. If we need to tighten up then Holland for Shelvey.

Comments

• Options
    Generally I don't like playing one up front and I'm wondering if Tuesday's match was an experiment to play Varney up front on his own and see how that worked out. As we know it didn't, if Varney can't score against lower league opponents, then it's too much of a risk to play him as a sole striker against Watford. We must get a result out of teams like Watford who'll be there or there abouts at the end of the season, therefore we must create and take chances so I'd play Gray alongside Varney and rest Shelvey.
  • Options
    I would agree with two up front and Holland has to play as only one with any nous in midfield . what a difference when he came on v Swansea.

I would rest Shelvey too .... probably for about a year at least until he is ready! never in the right position against Swansea. The fact he played, again says a lot about Pardew!
  • Options
    Gray has got to start the only proven goalscorer at this level at the club. Todorov dont count injured the majority of the time.
  • Options
    Same team as last saturday for back 5 and front two.

Would swap round midfield though. Swap Thomas to the right, Boauzza on the left, and Holland in for Shelvey in the middle with Racon.

Watford are direct and industrious. Quality wide play will be key.
  • Options
    Watford would go through that midfield like a knife through butter.

If Bailey isn't ready for saturday then play 5 in the middle imo.
  • Options
    Bailey will play surely. He must be ready. Didn't he play for Southend on Saturday?

If so he must have done a full pre-season

Can't think of any reason not to play him?
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Weaver

Semedo
    Fortune (if fit)
    Hudson
    Youga (at centre half if Fortune doesn't make it, Basey in at LB)

Thomas
    Racon
    Bailey (likes getting stuck in? only midfielder at the club who does)
    Bouazza

Varney
    Gray

Subs: Elliott, Basey (Moo2 if no Fortune), Holland, Shelvey, Sam, Dickson.
  • Options
    That would be my team as well.
  • Options
    Bailey may well be ready, but would of trained with us for just two days, won't know how anybody else plays, system etc.
    Start as a sub for me.

As for going through us like a knife through butter BDL, your dislike seems to Matty H seems to be turning into an obsession !
    He may not be what you like, but he gives far more value than you realise.
  • Options
    You don't need to train with a team for weeks and weeks to be able to slot into centre-midfield.
    If he's a box to box midfielder than he can go out on Saturday at 3pm and play that role.

Most of the complaints on here seem to be that we don't have any coherent tactics, system etc. so I can't see that being a problem...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    AFKA, Not at all. I just don't think that there is sufficient strength in a midfield partnership of Holland and Racon.

Watford are a strong pysical side and I don't think that either Holland or Racon could be described as the in your face, tough tackling type of midfielder that would be required to counter that.

I don't deny that I don't rate Holland but if he plays my personal view is that I don't think that it should be in a midfield four and would be better suited to a five, especially away from home. The way the midfield was overun by teams last season would seem to back that up.

It's just my opinion though, sure Matty is a lovely bloke really. :o)
  • Options
    Same back 5 and front two, Bailey for Shelvey, Bouazza for Sam, Thomas on the right.

Holland on the bench, with Shelvey, Basey, Dicko and Elliot.
  • Options
    seem we all agree on the back five and front two whilst most agree with a midfield four of Bouazza,Racon,Bailey,Thomas.

As for Bailey only having two days training I don't see that makes any difference. Bouzza had no days training and went straight on the bench. It's not as if we have a system of play he has to get used to, or if he does I can't recognise one. Hopefully he'll help us develop a successful one.

A tad harsh to drop Shelvey BUT it will benefit everyone if he is brought on gradually rather then in at the deep end.
  • Options
    Watford would look to go after Jon Jo and give him a working over, almost like Leeds did to Parker that time. Bailey would be used to it
  • Options
    Weaver
    Semedo(Moo2) Fortune(Semedo) Hudson Youga
    Bailey Racon Basey
    ZZ (Bouaza)
    Dickson Varney

I can't see the point of playing wingers if they can't deliver a final ball. Keep Semedo at full back due to the expected arial bombardment. Varney seems to have gotten lots of stick for not scoring against poor oppo but he had no service. Gray offers no threat other than set pieces and when he holds it up it always goes backwards to a midfield that is slow to support, so two quickies upfront making space for the man in the hole.
  • Options
    Bailey will play surely. He must be ready. Didn't he play for Southend on Saturday?

Yes...but he was "injured" mid-week, but you can expect a miracle cure to have taken place somewhere between the A13 and Eltham.

I'd prefer to play Racon in midfield and swap Shelvey for Bailey, with Holland in reserve. Racon was most people's MoM and after a first season where he hardly played it isn't going to do his confidence much good, let alone his prospects with Charlton if after a good performance and a full pre-season he's either left in the stands or put on the bench.
  • Options
    That's harsh on Shelvey after 1 game KT. He looked ready in the last 2 games of last season - and against Bilbao and Yeovil this season. He'll get better but he's ready now. He just had a bad game against Swansea.

I'd keep the same team that played Swansea but with Bailey coming in. Semedo def has to play after Moo2's game against Yeovil. Gray has scored 3 goals in his last 3 games for us. Varney has missed 3 golden chances in his last 2. So people want to drop Gray. LOL!
  • Options
    Not a huge fan of 4-5-1 at home, but how about this for a physical away game (though Watford apparently tried to play a bit more football in midfield at Palarse):
    NW -
    Semedo - Forts - Hudson - Youga
    Varney - Racon - Bailey - Basey - Thomas (becoming 4-3-3 in theory)
    Gray
    No doubt there are pitfalls but It might take a little pressure off Varney without shattering his confidence. Jonjo did quite well in midweek, but will have to expect to be left out for some games early on, and can always be introduced. I reckon we could do with Bailey's apparent endeavour / power for this one. Bouazza would hopefully get a chance to shine v his old club from the bench, when it can be easier to make an impact. Or should we keep a winning (League) team?
  • Options
    "That's harsh on Shelvey after 1 game KT. He looked ready in the last 2 games of last season - and against Bilbao and Yeovil this season. He'll get better but he's ready now. He just had a bad game against Swansea."

Totally agree with BFR's commets. It would be more harsh to drop Racon, who had a good game against swansea.

Looking good in meaningless end of season games and pre season friendlies is one thing, trying to do the same when you're under the cosh in a league game is something else. I'm not knocking JJ in anyway, he's young and his time will come. Would rather see Racon given a chance at the moment.
  • Options
    That's harsh on Shelvey after 1 game KT. He looked ready in the last 2 games of last season - and against Bilbao and Yeovil this season. He'll get better but he's ready now. He just had a bad game against Swansea.

At 16 we have to bring Shelvey on carefully and gradually - just as we did with Bowyer and Parker. If we overplay him he'll burn out by Easter and be pretty much useless for the last few matches which might determine whether we make the play-offs or not.

There's no point in bringing in Bailey if we aren't going to play him as one of the two starting central midfielders, and I'd rather go with Racon for Watford as the more experienced other CM.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm starting to think along the lines of:

---------------------Weaver--------------------

------Semedo--Fortune--Hudson--Youga----

--Bouazza--Bailey--Racon--Holland--Thomas--

-----------------------Gray-----------------------

Subs: Eliot, Shelvey, Dickson, Basey, Varney
  • Options
    Play Gray up front, nominally on his own.

He's strong enough and good enough as a target man, can hold the ball up well relieving pressure on our defence, and lays off well.

Give Varney a free role, playing a little behind Gray - and the freedom of the field to use his pace when we break.
    Playing deeper and left to right, he won't get picked up regularly and he'd be a demon to mark - and always available.

He played this role against Palace, tore Mark Hudson to shreds and scored 2 fine individual goals.

I think we'd all like to see Bailey start, to see what he's made of - and play Racon beside him to do the more delicate work.
    Holland can come on last 25 mins for Racon/Bailey to shore things up and add that bit of nous and experience.

Right side, one of Thomas or Bouazza despite both their preferences to play on the left - adds that element of unpredictability, that we're otherwise lacking. If he cuts inside, leaves a channel for free role Varney to exploit.

I like Basey & Youga in tandem, adds solidity and Youga overlapping from deep adds that pace and thrust - and also leaves a channel for Varney to exploit in a free role.

Semedo RB, solid dependable, anchors the defence with Hudson. Moo2 covers.
    If Fortune doesn't last or even start, Youga to CB and Basey LB, the spare winger on.

Only regret, can't find a place for Jonjo - we'll miss particularly his set piece contribution, but solidity and quick raiding is what we need here.

Weaver

Semedo
    Fortune (If fit)
    Hudson
    Youga

Bouazza/Thomas
    Bailey
    Racon
    Basey

Varney

Subs:

Elliot
    Moo2
    Holland
    Dickson
    Thomas/Bouazza
  • Options
    Weaver

Yassin
    Fortune
    Hudson
    Youga

Thomas
    Racon
    Holland
    Bailey
    Varney

Gray

subs: Elliot, Semedo, Basey, Bouazza, Dickson
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Weaver

Semedo
    Fortune
    Hudson
    Youga

Bouazza
    Bailey
    Racon
    Thomas

Varney
    Gray

Subs: Elliot, Basey, Holland, Shelvey, Dickson
  • Options
    Tempted to look at 4-5-1 like Mart77

---------------------Weaver--------------------

------Semedo--Fortune--Hudson--Youga----

--Bouazza--Bailey--Racon--Holland--Thomas--

-----------------------Gray-----------------------

Subs: Eliot, Shelvey, Dickson, Basey, Varney

Really does have the option to go 4-3-3 with Bouazza and Thomas.

Like most i think it's a shame to leave JJ out for his set peices he's young and needs to be broken in gently..
  • Options
    Oggy, assuming its Boazza or Thomas, you've only got ten in your team.

I started at the top with a 4-5-1 because I think it gives us more resiliance especially away from Home. My team has a winger and somebody in Basey who can play wide or sit whilst Youga ovelaps. I went for Varney as a loan striker because although he has good technical skills he also has pace which I think is essential for stretching defences, I just don't see Gray as being able to play that role as he's too slow and will not stretch play. I can see cases for playing Holland instead of Shelvey or Racon but I'd give them another chance to start.
  • Options
    Whatever, Pards has got to play Boo - ex-Watford, going to put an edge to his game, going to score the winner against his old club - which they all do.
  • Options
    Ha! ha!, Bing - only 10 on my teamsheet.......(!)

I started my epistle with: "Play Gray up front, nominally on his own.", and then didn't include him on my teamsheet.
    You couldn't make it up! LMFAO
  • Options
    I like your style Oggy - it seems Varney is a little nervous (from posts/reports/ratings etc) so maybe give him a free role to express himslef more and get a bit more confidence in the way he plays. He can help link the midfield with Gray and push forward even more when he's able - Could work away from home.

I'd keep JonJo on the bench as a secret weapon if we play too flat