Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Valley boss hints at JT exit

edited August 2008 in General Charlton
http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/topsport/display.var.2425690.0.valley_boss_hints_at_jt_exit.php

Comments

• Options
    Here's the article as there no linky thingy working:

Valley boss hints at JT exit
    By Paul Green
    Comment

JEROME Thomas' future as a Charlton player has been placed in doubt after manager Alan Pardew conceded he may struggle to keep hold of him.

The Addicks chief has been told to drastically cut the wage bill in SE7 and has already seen several high-profile names leave the club this summer.

Pardew knows there is still some way to go yet before things are on an even keel financially and admitted a high earner like Thomas is an obvious candidate to join the exodus.

The manager said: "I think in some quarters there are some players here, and some of the players who played in the Premier League, where the salaries are high and I've found it very difficult to keep hold of.

"I have to manage the club and make sure I protect us financially this year and Jerome could be in that category.

"We are going to try and release a few members from the squad because I think it is important I don't carry too many squad players this year, so I'm trying to loan out three or four players this week before we play Watford. We are making calls and there are a couple of very close calls today."

The manager also confirmed discussions with Stoke over a move to the Britannia for Amdy Faye are on-going, while Zheng Zhi is still highly likely to leave the club.

Charlton are still keen to boost their defensive options and Sunderland's Paul McShane and Portsmouth's Martin Cranie and Marc Wilson are all potential candidates.

Pardew remained tight-lipped when asked about McShane, but was slightly more forthcoming about Wilson and Cranie.

He said: "Marc Wilson is a player I looked at but I feel he has got a little bit more developing to do before he gets to us in terms of his age and everything else, but I think he is a good player and somebody I'm definitely keeping my eye on.

"However, I don't think Harry Redknapp wants to loan him at the moment because he is a bit short himself. It is the exact same with Martin Cranie."

Pardew added: "There are a lot of players in squads who aren't getting games, but I've told you my criteria is players who have a genuine hunger and desire to do well for Charlton and the fans."

The manager also reiterated his belief Hameur Bouazza, who arrived at The Valley on loan from Fulham last week, is an individual who meets the criteria.

He added: "I see in Bouazza a player who's hunger is there and who trained so well today because I thought he was a bit disappointing on Tuesday in his first game.

"That is the sort of reaction you want. He wants to be in the team on Saturday and prove to everyone at Charlton he is good enough for us.

"This is something I will be looking for with the defensive signing, whoever it is.

"It looks like I won't be able to do a permanent deal, it will have to be a loan and it will be someone of that ilk I push the button on."

One man who is on board is midfielder Nicky Bailey, who signed on the dotted line yesterday after Charlton finally agreed a deal with Southend.

Pardew is delighted to seal Bailey and predicted a bright future in SE7 for the former Fulham trainee.

The manager explained: "What Nicky Bailey has is hunger. He has had to come out of football having been released from Fulham into non-league, so has had to work really hard and has the hunger and desire some of the players who have come through the system don't have.

"It is one of the reasons I brought Mark Hudson in because he was released by Fulham and has the hunger to succeed and get into the Premier League.

"I think there is a very good chance he will start on Saturday because a couple of people the other night against Yeovil were handed a chance and haven't taken it.

"Those players who played well against Swansea have a good chance of starting but Nicky Bailey now threatens them, but I didn't see much on Tuesday to threaten them other than our new signing."

Central defensive duo Mark Hudson and Jon Fortune are both expected to have recovered from minor injuries in time to face Watford on Saturday.
  • Options
    also on OS now that ZZ will be likely to be sold, Amdy has some interest in him and Thomas is on high wages that they might not be able to hang on too......GREAT!
  • Options
    Wow. Thomas will be a great loss.

All those goals and superb crosses last season - we're really going to miss that.

It's his end product that stands him out from the rest of the division...
  • Options
    totally agree with WSS, I don't know how we will manage without him. I'll really miss those stepovers not to forget how he cuts inside continually and assists in our attacks breaking down. We should retire his shirt in his honour !!
  • Options
    You heartless 'stards.

Will nobody think of poor China White Nightclub?

*falls out of cab*
  • Options
    Was told a few days ago that Thomas was off and same person told me we are close to getting Moritz Volz.
  • Options
    he wouldnt sign a new deal and lets face it his end product has been severely lacking for years..
  • Options
    Mr. News Shopper, is there any reason why the SLP says the McShane deal has fallen through and you just say Pards remained tight lipped? Are all interviews at the same time?
  • Options
    Whatever way you look at this, it's not really good news is it. Necessary, maybe - but there is a pretty low feeling all around the place at the moment.

Still, Steve Sutherland said in the programme on Saturday that "everything is in good shape off the pitch" - so either we've turned a corner or he's massively off his head.

I'll have a pint of what you've been drinking please Steve!
  • Options
    Yeah great news, our only premiership player leaves.

But hey, keep reading websites that he is a lazy bling bling and let him go.

Watch pride and premiership chaps and stop jumping to conclusions just cos he gets seen out in clubs now and again

Sighs
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thomas couldnt give a monkies about the club or the fans give a player
    with passion any day
  • Options
    JT has had too many chances and is replaceable. We need the dosh so let him go.it all looks pretty but that just not enough.

Lloyd Sam is in the same boat - just no end product and no football brain.
  • Options
    Thomas seems to do all his good work(if you can call it that), in the middle third and rarely in the final third where it REALLY matters.....has talent but uses it in the wrong place IMHO!
  • Options
    Really not bothered if JT leaves - but who will buy him?

McShane would be a great acquisition - I saw him score the winner for Brighton away at Palace a couple of seasons ago; he was easily the best player on the pitch that night.

Would have liked ZZ to stay, but hey-ho.

Glad to hear that Bailey will likely be starting.
  • Options
    News Shopper is quoting the press conference at the TG this afternoon.

The SLP goes to press at lunchtime on Thursday so their story is bound to be earlier.
  • Options
    There seems to be much less of the "I'm hurt at being told I've got to sell players" and more realism in these comments by Pards which I hope is the way it stays. If we can get some money for Thomas that will be a result because despite being a real talent, 95% of it is wasted by his lack of end product. As regards ZZ, it will be a shame to lose him but with the signing of Bailey, I felt that this was an inevitable outcome.

As regards a centre half, I hope this is resolved soon because we need some cover there.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info Airman.
  • Options
    I'm in the 'couldn't give a monkeys about Thomas camp. The sooner he and Faye go the better. Who needs 'Premiership players' anyway - we're not there anymore.
  • Options
    I see Pompey are to announce a loan signing tomorrow and their fans are speculating it's a left sided player. Would we let Thomas go on a loan to perm deal in exchange for Cranie on a loan to perm. Our need for centre half cover is more urgent than our need for a useless left winger whose replacement, Bouzza, is already here.
  • Options
    Not bothered about JT leaving, but slightly concerned about the quality of players coming in, or whether they come, to take the slack and build on what we have.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agreed, and give them Faye for free too.
  • Options
    i would be bothered if JT went i feel he is our best player by miles.

I dont get why everyone is so against him.
  • Options
    i think he gets far to much stick on this site. Thats just my opinion on the matter.

I am more concerned with how this car boot sale is going tho. I am sure i read somewhere both him and ambrose were out of contract next summer, so this two million is pie in the sky. He'll go on a free.