Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Phil Chapple

As a professional as honest as the day is long,as chief scout I'm not so sure discuss.

Comments

• Options
    You are clutching at straws at things to moan about now.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    your stuttering,not moaning just not too sure,I think the fleetwood thing is very strange.Trying to think what signings have had a impact for the club. In our position this role is vital and extremely important as I said discuss.
  • Options
    what makes you think that he doesn't have the skills required for a Chief scout?
  • Options
    I suspect that very few - if any - members on this board have any real or detailed knowledge of what his job involves or how well he is doing it.

Scouts don't just look for new talent you know. They also suss out the opposition and report on strengths and weaknesses. Personally I haven't seen any of Phil's reports, so I couldn't posibbly comment on whether these are detailed, accurate, full of insight or not. Can anyone on here?

Next we'll be asking if last seasons poor form had anything to do with the quality of tea served up by Ethel, the tea lady. "As a grandmother she can't half knit a tea cosy well - but when it comes to serving a brew I'm not so sure"!
  • Options
    Unless you have personal experience of him as scout this is an impossible question for an outsider to answer. He may be the best scout in the world but we cannot afford the players he suggests or the manager may not fancy his suggestions.
  • Options
    A good player doesn't always make a good manager / coach, so could this be the reverse?
  • Options
    Nothing on telly, Steve.....?

;o)
  • Options
    I was sat in front of him for a game last year and he spent the whole game making notes on us & the opposition. As has been said its not just about talent spotting these days - theres oppostition to consider.

Are you trying to say its his fault Fleetwood didn't score 37 goals in pre season?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Next we'll be asking if last seasons poor form had anything to do with the quality of tea served up by Ethel, the tea lady. "As a grandmother she can't half knit a tea cosy well - but when it comes to serving a brew I'm not so sure"!

It had everything to do with it - she was let go....poor Ethel :o(
  • Options
    Ha ha, this is on a par with some of the comments from fans a couple of years ago who used to blame Mervyn Day for anything/and everything despite the fact that they'd never seen him at work.
  • Options
    he will always be known as Phillipe Chappelle, he was agricultural at best

A Charlton Legend, even though he was shite
  • Options
    He was a good old Norfolk boy.
  • Options
    Off-it, spot on again; what have you been drinking lately?
  • Options
    He wasn't the best but was 100% committed to the cause. Remember when he got crocked at Millwall and then cam over to the fans on crutches.

Remember 3-4 Derby at home. Him and Super Tom Hovi doing bambi on ice impressions as Gambiadini ran at them. . . . .

Not great :o(
  • Options
    i said i weren't sure discuss i haven't slagged him just said i wasn't sure chill
  • Options
    Trying to think what signings have had a impact for the club. In our position this role is vital and extremely important as I said discuss.

His role as off-it points out is more than just looking at players, which in any case is constrained by club finances. Given the state of our finances a good scouting system, overseen by Chapple could be vital to our future, we don't have the money to compete with the big clubs for players, consequently any gems he and his team might discover for very little outlay may be vital. Also as others point out without a detailed knowledge of what his responsibilities are it's hard to know whether he's been successful or not.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    One of the things about scouts is that at the end of the day it's the manager who actually gives their opinions the final yay or nay.As such you never get to hear of the ones that were recommended but not signed...he may actually have made several good recommendations that weren't followed up or rejected out of hand come to that.....so you'll never know the answer for sure.
  • Options
    Baden Powell was a much better Chief Scout IMO......
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CommentAuthorLoOkOuT CommentTime9 hours ago
    Off-it, spot on again; what have you been drinking lately?

Water. Haven't had a meth since Brighton.