Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

It's amazing what you see in a Barnehurst garden

early in the morning. Normally I step out on the decking to the sound of blackbirds, thrushes, sparrows etc twittering away and buzzing around. This morning silence except the parrots squawking away. All of a sudden a bird swooped over my head and landed in the next door neighbours tree. I popped indoors and got the binoculars out. Lo and behold, a sparrowhawk. A sight to behold. It's talons were unbelievable. I watched it for 15 minutes, the only other birds around still the parrots and the large wood pidgeons. Mrs Large appeared and we gawped at it together. Any other exotic wildlife around anyone ??

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2008
    I spotted "A lesser spotted Chavy bird" up bexleyheath earlier, you dont want to be around when one of them starts squawking!!! ;-)
  • Options
    I thought the 'Greater spotted Chavvy' bird was more likely to be spotted in Bexleyheath?

So I googled it:
    "Originally commonplace in the Chatham area, breeding grounds have now spread to the London Borough of Bexley
    and surrounding districts.

Perches in flocks around street corners, outside McDonalds and other unsalubrious habitat.

Easily recognised by screeching mating call, small and beady eyes, and greasy complexion with red spots around beak
    Now classified as vermin".
  • Options
    Was having a ciggie in the garden about 10 oclock last night a flock of 13 geese flew over in the traditional V formation.
    Squawking their heads off as well.

Often see some Tottenham Warblers - if you listen closely you can make out their call sounding something like Topphoartheeseyeerbut it fades away after a while.
    Additionally the lesser spotted Chelseafan has made a remarkable resurgence in the last 5-6 years
    Now often seen outside of their traditional West London habitat.
  • Options
    I stand corrected Mr Red, But one thing I will guarentee, you hang around for long enough you are bound to see a pair of " Great Tits" which seem to appear only when the sun is shining and disappear into their winter coats when its chilly. ;-)
  • Options
    Blimey, must be something up with the birds today. We were just out in the back yard when something large and brownish ran up our side alley and into the bamboo, closely followed by our cat. Next door's Alsation was going loopy. At first I thought it was a really hench rat. We got the cat indoors and waded through the bamboo to reveal a red-legged partridge. Mrs Stig has just taken it to the vets. There's a lot of farmland round here (Great Wakering, Essex) but it wouldn't last long down our street.
  • Options
    That would be "The Red Legged Essex Bird" that thrives on bamboo, Not to be confused with "The Pale legged East London"bird who thrives in Noodle Bars, thats of course unless Oggy Red knows different ;-)