Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wagstaff has gone!!

WSSWSS
edited August 2008 in General Charlton
On loan to Bournemouth.

Good move for the lad.

Comments

• Options
    Sinclair move to Cheltenham confirmed, Fleetwood move deined
  • Options
    Hopefully Darren Anderton can teach him a few tricks, just hopefully not at the doctor's surgery.
  • Options
    will be good for him has promise that lad
  • Options
    Waggy really needs a good spell out on loan to get him used to the pace of the game at this level. Looked very promising in the youth team last season, but at the moment does not look ready for our league so this is an excellent move for him.
  • Options
    That should be a decent level for him, good luck to him.
  • Options
    good luck to him but imo he'll need more than a parkeresque transformation out on loan cos he looked out of his depth playing for the first team
  • Options
    I think he'll get the snot whacked out of him and will get an injury
  • Options
    http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/topsport/display.var.2442378.0.two_moments_of_magic_and_the_quinn_era_begins.php

"instead they pressed forward, with impressive Charlton Athletic loan man Wagstaff putting in a sterling shift on the right flank.

And it was his cross which helped Pitman cap a perfect move for Cherries' lovely leveller.

Jalal brilliantly saved from Myles Weston to maintain parity before Cherries ......

...... Wagstaff, whose nifty footwork and all-round work rate caught the eye, was again in the thick of the action.

The young prospect, who was singled out for some rough treatment from the hosts throughout, went to ground on the edge of the County penalty area with 13 minutes remaining. But he was booked for his trouble, despite appearing to be clipped from behind.

Not to be deterred, the winger almost sealed the points with the last kick of an entertaining match, only for his curling effort from the left to fly just wide."
  • Options
    Sounds like he's getting into games and hopefully getting used to the "rough and tumble" of league football.

Good and good.
  • Options
    Couple of other ex-addicks get a mention there as well, Jason Tindall & Myles Weston !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good to hear he's doing well, still can't imagine him being good enough for the first team though.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I think he was maligned following the Yeovil game. Bouazza was making similar runs to him and effectively crowding him out. Much easier for Pardew to substitute and slag off a youngster though than his great loan hope.

That said Waggy does look a bit lightweight physically. Nothing a few sessions in the weight training room won't sort out though.
  • Options
    I don't like wagstaff i think he is too quiet and hasn't got what it takes
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: STUBERNAITOR[/cite]I don't like wagstaff i think he is too quiet and hasn't got what it takes

Harsh and so what if he is quiet. Not the main criteria for a winger I would have thought.
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Good to hear he's doing well, still can't imagine him being good enough for the first team though.

Well Steve Gritt for one disagrees with you.

We moan that the kids aren't given a chance and say the youth system is a waste of time but we seem to expect them to shine from day one.

Parker needed a loan to take the step up, Dickson went to Crewe and bombed but then did it at Gillingham

Wagstaff was outstanding in the youth cup and now he's out on loan learning his trade. Let's wait and see before we write him off completely
  • Options
    I'm not writing him off completely just yet.

Also saw him against Ebbsfleet, Brighton and Athletic, as well as Yeovil, and didn't really do much in any of those matches.

Might just need some confidence, which the loan will help him with.
  • Options
    he is still very young though and plays in as real tough position where grown ups will kick you to shreds once he has learnt to deal with it i am sure he will be fine
  • Options
    Could he be the next Parker? Go out on loan a squad player and come back a much improved, more mature superstar in the making...
  • Options
    Having seen him against Barnsley, Coventry and Yeovil I would say he has the talent to be a League player, but where he ends up in the league Div2 or Championship will depend on him getting stronger, at the moment he looks too lightweight and is easily pushed off the ball. That said the latest comments that he was kicked around in his last match but still put in a match wining performance auger well for the future.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Wagstaff was outstanding in the youth cup and now he's out on loan learning his trade. Let's wait and see before we write him off completely

I agree with this 100%. I just think we have to give these lads some time to develop. Lets compare two players. Paul Konchesky who played when he was 16 and Scott Parker who didn't. If you'd ask me who would end up being the better player for Charlton (and beyond), I would have picked Konchesky. For whatever reason Parker did not look anything other than a squad player when he had his chance in the team. When he went to Norwich on loan, an aquaintance of mine who was connected to the club asked me how Charlton could possibly have allowed him out on loan. He said that they thought he was the best young player they had ever seen and far better than any of their youngsters. The rest is history!

So come on lets give Waggy a chance to get his confidence by playing competitive football. Let's also make sure we give Jonjo real encouragement when he gets his chance in a game.
  • Options
    might extend his loan another month
    http://www.thisisdorset.net/display.var.2450794.0..php