Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - Life after Lennie, and so to Upton Park......

edited August 2008 in General Charlton
Sunday 18th August 1991. Upton Park. Att: 9,320

Charlton Athletic 2 (0) (Lee 62, Leaburn 71) Newcastle United 1 (0) (Carr 81)

Charlton: Bolder, Pitcher, Minto, Peake, Gritt, Gatting, Lee, Bumstead, Leaburn, Nelson, Walsh. Unused subs: Brown, Salako.

Newcastle: Srnicek, S Watson (Robinson 65), Elliot, O'Brien, Scott, Bradshaw, Clark, Peacock, Quinn, Carr, Brock (Roche 23).

Referee:B Hill (Kettering)

Unusual Hat-trick: Lee, who had scored the last goal at The Valley and the first 'home goal' at Selhurst Park, duly obliged with the first 'home goal' at Upton Park.
Meanwhile Leaburn scored his first 'home goal' of his four year senior career.

The season 1991-92 saw many changes for Charlton. The departure of Lennie Lawrence and the introduction of Msrs Gritt and Curbishley as 'Joint first team coaches' was met by many with raised eyebrows.
With the move back to the Valley being deferred, the club played it's home games at Upton Park. With an average home gate of only 6,786, it was becoming obvious that Charlton could only survive if they secured the move back home to The Valley.
The trading year posted a loss of £1,013,000.

Comments

• Options
    I remember this game fondly and it sure was the beginning of a new era. It was a beautiful summer's day, and driving through the Blackwell Tunnel seemed like driving through the South Downs compared to the hole that was Norwood. This was the season that Newcastle ran away with the league with Rob Lee in their side but standing behind that goal at Upton Park that day united with about 7,000 others felt good.
  • Options
    was on holiday in Gran Canaria and went to a bar called Sporty Towers to find out the result !

Steven Allen's red n white army !
  • Options
    scary 17 years ago we started playing at upton park and i recall thinking we'll never play top flight football with these two less than inspiring footballers in charge and to think when gritt was asked to leave i thought it was the wrong the decision..... how wrong could i be!!
  • Options
    and the Salako was Andy not John, if my memory serves me right we signed both Gatting and Nelson from Btighton the week prior to the season starting
  • Options
    I was mascot for this game! Still got the tie ups that Leaburn gave me....
  • Options
    chicago the season Newcastle ran away with the league was the following season,this year they nearly went down.
  • Options
    well the wheel has turned full circle but at least we have our own ground now.

Those trading figures show the miracle Curbs and Murray worked.
  • Options
    Played really well that day, only 3 sides of Upton Park were open, the Chicken Run side was closed making it a far better atmosphere than anything we had had in the previous 6 seasons at Sellhurst.
  • Options
    I remember the build up to the start of that season with an odd mixture of dread and huge optimism.

When Leaburn headed the second goal at full stretch everyone went nuts and I knew it
    was going to be a great season.....Of course after Carr scored we all had to chew our nails for
    the last 9 minutes didn't we ??
  • Options
    H&G, can you expand on that. What was it like?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I remember going to this one with my Dad. Seem to remember Scrnicek cocking up and us almost scoring in the first couple of minutes.
  • Options
    I remember just being glad that we were welcome at West Ham & hated going Selhurst, travelling through the tunnel was a joy campared to the previous few years.
  • Options
    When Leaburn scored the second, I jumped up and came down on the corner of the terrace and ripped my ankle ligaments.

It topped a great weekend for me. On the Friday my front tooth cap fell off, on Saturday I was stung on the mouth by a wasp and spent Sunday evening in casualty!
  • Options
    'When Leaburn scored the second, I jumped up and came down on the corner of the terrace and ripped my ankle ligaments.

It topped a great weekend for me. On the Friday my front tooth cap fell off, on Saturday I was stung on the mouth by a wasp and spent Sunday evening in casualty! '

Bloody hell Dave ..... that just made me really laugh
  • Options
    you aint seen dave i would feel sorry for the terrace.
  • Options
    Fao:Lookout

It only came about because I was in the right place at the right time; the week before the start of the season I was in the club shop and Jackie Moynihan (the old Junior Reds secretary) got talking to my dad and asked whether I fancied being mascot the following week because the club hadn't sorted it out yet!

My (now vague) memories of the day are Ossie Ardiles shutting the door in our face when we went to get autographs, Carl Leaburn being a top bloke (why did I need tie-ups though? ), and warming up with Colin Walsh and Steve Brown before the game. Also I had the worst side-parting ever and I can't look beyond that when I see the photos today.

Things have changed somewhat - now we have six or seven kids leading the team out whose families (I think) pay top dollar and they only warm up with each other and the mascots....
  • Options
    Gritt didn't play at centre half, it was Simon Webster alongside Gatting!
  • Options
    Webbo never played that day, it was Pitcher at Centre Half alongside Gatting, with Gritt at Right Back.
  • Options
    250 quid each now for a mascot. I was looking at it the other day.
  • Options
    Hmm.....could've sworn Webster played that day. But saying that, Gritty at right back wearing 5 rings a semblance of a bell. May have to consult the Richard Redden 'oracle' for closure & ultimate CAFC nerdiness. :-)

Great win that day though! Scary without Lennie, looking back on the start of that year, but the dawn of a new era that was also exciting. 90/91 was truly a dismal season, & our performances in 91/92 went against all preconceptions that we would struggle more than we would the previous year, & that 'dual managers' couldn't work.

Robert Lee was great that year. Leaburn getting into double figures!!!Unbeleivable!!:-) The rise of Simon Webster & the continual growth of youngsters like Minto & Pitcher(quite a decent year filling the shirt of the sadly departed Johnny H.) & the battling of the old stalwarts, such as Bumstead, Nelson & Gatting.

The best thing about that season was finally getting away from Selhurschwitz. Even though it was further away to travel(being a Streatham based Addick back than) it was such a good feeling that we were getting closer to getting back to the Valley.(Though 2 months swiftly became 16)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hmm.....could've sworn Webster played that day. But saying that, Gritty at right back wearing 5 rings a semblance of a bell. May have to consult the Richard Redden 'oracle' for closure & ultimate CAFC nerdiness. :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JohnnyH2 is spot on. Webbo did not play day. Pitcher and Gatting at centre half.Gritt at right back. Webbo was back in the team a week later at Wolves in a 1-1 draw with Robert Lee scoring a blinder of a goal.
  • Options
    funny how reading things like these messages bring back some wonderful memories !
    I , too, thought the board had sacked the wrong manager of the two and that Webster played , tho' he definetely did a little later with his last minute wondergoal against (i think) Bristol City.
    A longer journey to Upton Park beckoned for most of us,but i remember everyone looking happier than they had been for years at Selhurst; it was like starting from the beginning. A new Dawn !!
  • Options
    I remember it well, ealry kick off on a Sunday, a few of us met in the Yorkshire Grey for a few early ones (this was before all day opening and my mate knew the guvnor)
  • Options
    And while the Yorkshire Grey was still a pub.
  • Options
    18 years ago today.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    A great day, even though we're in Surrey the journey was so much easier (M23/25, Dartford tunnel) than getting to Sellout. But I remember the crowd numbers dropping after that game and the average being around the 7,000 mark.