Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dickson signs contract extension....

edited August 2008 in General Charlton
..up to 2010.

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned. Good we've got him tied up for a bit longer in my eyes, think he is going to get a real chance in the next month.

Still feel he can be a real surprise package for us this season.

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2008
    I agree, he certainly looks dangerous - I hope this translates into goals soon, and with Varney like he is a perhaps a start on Sat (though I doubt it)
  • Options
    Anyone else hoping to see Dickson start on Saturday alongside Gray?
  • Options
    has been on the OS site since 11.44 am yesterday. I too am surprised it hasn't been mentioned but is it that big a story. Hardly exciting that a striker who hasn't scored a league goal for us yet has signed a contract extension. Now, if we had signed another CH that would have been a story.
  • Options
    Pards obviously rates him so bloody play him
  • Options
    If Basey isn't fit for Saturday, we may get Semedo at LB, Sam at RB, Varney on the right wing and Dicko & Gray up front.
  • Options
    "Anyone else hoping to see Dickson start on Saturday alongside Gray?"

Yes, me.
  • Options
    Yes and no.

I'd like to see Dickson given a chance at some stage, because i think he will score goals.

But one of the things we went wrong with last season was by chopping and changing too quickly. Varney has not fully impressed in the last couple of games, but equally needs some form of loyalty, if the manager rates him, to play through it.
  • Options
    yeah thats a fairly good point Barts.

I am itching to go on Sat but really need to do housey stuff
  • Options
    Think Pards is going to stick with Varney because he obviously really wants that partnership to work. But it obviously hasn't so far.

Don't think it'll be long til he throws Dicko in. He's obviously a natural goalscorer, and quick to boot. Also heard Pardew say that he's massively confident. Sounds like the kind of striker we need, no?
  • Options
    Dicko will only start some games if Gray or Varney are injured OR if Varney has to go on the wing.

I am excited by Dicko this season - I saw him at Welling and he looked REALLY pumped up and sharp. I just hope he gets a chance soon
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They need time to get a partnership and a bit of understanding going between them. I honestly hope that it does work because I do rate the pair of them. Think Varney could be outstanding but just needs that extra bit of a confidence boost from his first goal of the season.

On the other hand Dicko needs enough time on the pitch to make an impact and I'd like to see what he can do if given the opportunity. Would love him to come off the bench at half time if its not working out and our attacking options look limited.
  • Options
    With a smaller squad and fewer strikers in it he's going to get a chance this season and he has to take it. Good luck to him.
  • Options

CommentAuthorF-Blocker
    * CommentTime3 hours ago

If Basey isn't fit for Saturday, we may get Semedo at LB, Sam at RB, Varney on the right wing and Dicko & Gray up front.

************************************************************************************

I wouldn't be too unhappy with that lineup - although Moo2 will feel a bit miffed if he's overlooked, I guess.
    Sam or Moo2 would both be happy going forward and could exploit the space vacated by Varney, when he pushes forward or inside.

I actually like the idea of Gray & Dickson starting together up front, and Varney, the best crosser of the ball we have, given a nominal winger's position but also licence to roam in a free role across the width of the park, coming from a deeper position to make 1 on 1 runs, like Smith did for Watford on Saturday, remember? ......and also the way he destroyed Palace last season.
  • Options
    I'm with Oggy on that one. Gray and Dickson up front, with Varney wide right and supporting the front two. Shelvey in for the unfortunate Racon, who might be out for three months.
  • Options
    Dickson was sat behind me at the athletic bilbao game and he told ME he was the fastest player at the club,he's really confident he will play and rekons he will score 25 goals, you heard it here 1st.. Fact.

A top bloke with A COOL attitude,i hope he will get his chance.
  • Options
    i think we should keep giving him 10 - 20 mins in the next couple of games and if he plays well or gets a goal or 2 give him a start and see if he can win a place in the starting 11.Dont think we should chop and change so much unless we have 2,and make every player work hard 2 get in2 the team.
  • Options
    i got his shirt for last season for NLJR from a guy at work all signed and framed dicko will score loads soon i am sure of it Varney out wide Dicko and Gray upfront for me
  • Options
    He's still got a lot to prove as far as I'm concerned....of course, I sincerely hope he does.
    I must say I'm a little bit surprised that he's got this contract extension but good luck to him, just prove your worth my son.
  • Options
    Dickson was sat behind me at the athletic bilbao game and he told ME he was the fastest player at the club,he's really confident he will play and rekons he will score 25 goals, you heard it here 1st.. Fact.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The boy certainly does not lack self-belief!!!! Would like to see him get a decent run in the side.
  • Options
    I recall when we signed him he said "I just want to play as much as I can and be top scorer in whatever division I am playing in"

That's when we were in the Prem!

I expect he signed an extention because he is not being paid a huge wage and we were able to tie him up for another year
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's ok to a point easing him in for fifteen to twenty minutes, but if the front two aren't scoring, give him a proper chance. I thought he'd be sure to start against Yeovil. What have we got to lose?