Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Scots & Irish

edited August 2008 in General Charlton
Went to Scot V Nor Ir last night and see two poor sides play out a 0-0 draw. What was interesting was 3 or 4 young lads playing, and when looking at which clubs they come from the answer was Burnley, Preston, Cardiff. So, I thought yes we have young Basey who is welsh, but he was brought up as a local lad, so why have we never tapped in to young Scotish & Irish players like so many other clubs?

Comments

• See the Tarton Army booed GSTQ

Harris Holes

Well Done NI for singing it even louder
  • haven't we got enough poor players? ;-)
  • totally agree left behind thought the northern irish support was superb,it was probably only them sad hoopies that booed.
  • Anybody who would stand up proud with their hand on their heart belting out an anthem that has lines in it about the people of thier country being slaughtered, is a bitch. End of. I'll boo it until my dying day. I'm no "hoopie", and most of those who booed wouldn't have been, not everything is to do with religion.

A basic understanding of issues is a good thing to have, prior to commenting.
  • Agreed LB
  • I know GSTQ is "our" national anthem (ie. UK), but isn't it time England,the taffs,jocks and paddys (my PC lessons aren't going to well, i'm asking for my money back) had their own "offical" songs ?
  • Scotland do sing flower of Scotland, Wales, Land of my Fathers, its only us & NI that sing it, try telling someone from NI, especially Ulster region who follows the NI team not to sing GDSTQ, good luck with that one.
  • I thought GSTQ has never officially been made our national anthem by parliament/the royals etc.

I suppose its our unofficial official national anthem.
  • The English national anthem is Land of Hope and Glory, we sang it at the 2006 commonwealth games.

Most anthems have a bit about slaughtering others, like the French and Scottish ones.
  • Its the Union flag that belongs to the Royal family, they officially "loan" it to the government and British public for general use, but technically its not an official flag of Britain and not registered as such I believe (although nobody states otherwise)
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2008
    So someone says a week back we are a "European minime" and being in Afganastan and Iraq is Imerialism then says he will "boo till his dying days"

well have to say i really do hope that when you stand up to boo my friend im there.
  • Back on topic, I agree with CA that we are perhaps missing a trick here - opportunity to pick up some talented (and relatively cheap) youngsters from elsewhere in the UK rather than paying over the odds for failed or ageing Prem players, taking a gamble on non-league hopefuls, or trying to wangle clearances/ work permits for young Africans.

I know Curbs didn't think it was worth scouting in Scotland as 'there wasn't enough talent'. But we're in a rather different situation now, so be good to know whether we are looking around here.
  • Back on topic, I agree with CA that we are perhaps missing a trick here - opportunity to pick up some talented (and relatively cheap) youngsters from elsewhere in the UK

A good idea, but I thought the rules had changed recently-ish and you could only sign young players from within a diameter of about 30miles of your ground? Given that includes London/Kent/Surrey etc and around 10 million of the population we should be able to find a few talented kids from there.
  • I'm not sure about that, BFR - if there is a limit I think it is for younger kids. We're talking here more about 17/18/19 year olds just breaking through as professionals.
  • Anybody who would stand up proud with their hand on their heart belting out an anthem that has lines in it about the people of thier country being slaughtered, is a bitch

If you are referring to the line about the "rebellious Scots being crushed" in GSTQ, I thought that was something that was tacked on un-officially in musical halls during the 1745 revolt of Bonnie Prince Charlie?
  • You are correct BFR.....Mortimerician, I do hope I'm there when you boo GSTQ sitting next to Goonerhater...
  • Good oh. See you at the Last Night of the Proms ladies.
  • Back to the old booing chestnut - so it's ok to boo at charlton but it's not ok to boo a national anthem?
  • Its not OK to boo Charlton maybe the same brain dead people boo both????????????????
  • Sponsored links:

• Does "boo-ing" actually make a difference anyway ?
  • I spoke to Rangers supporting friend who said to me GSOQ is my national athem as well and that he was ashamed of the scottish fans.He is a scottish as the day is long so please Mortimerician explain that.
  • I was at the match and a guy behind us started to boo. Someone else told him with no uncertainty to shut it, and he did. Many Scots find it as embarrassing as we do the booing at The Valley.
  • [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]I spoke to Rangers supporting friend who said to me GSOQ is my national athem as well and that he was ashamed of the scottish fans.He is a scottish as the day is long so please Mortimerician explain that.

And all the more power to your mate, spoken like a proper bluenose.....WATP, guaranteed to be a sellick or hibbies fan booing GSTQ IMO
  • Not overjoyed that it's England's national anthem (its not about the land or the people, but a family of lucky buggers who persuaded some other gullible folk that they were superior and should be worshipped), but wouldn't boo it. Wouldn't sing it either though.

Jerusalem - that's a different story. Why can't we have that as our anthem instead?