Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What a game

edited August 2008 in General Charlton
I haven't seen Charlton play like that for ages. Boy was that great, up the football league we go.

Comments

• Options
    Fantastic Perth,

As I just said in another thread, makes me proud to be an Addick again.

Commitment, skill, pace and threat from the get go.

I can't remember the last time we played so well. It's easy to criticise, but surely today we have to say 'well done Pards'.

Onwards and upwards!
  • Options
    For sure the team look up for it and its good to have a loan signing who looks like he wants to do well
  • Options
    brilliant as I said before Pards coming good??
  • Options
    That was much more like the Charlton of old. People putting their bodies on the line (mainly Bailey) and playing with speed and confidence.
    The extra pace in the side with Moo2, Bouazza and Varney makes a huge difference. We can add Youga to that next week as well!
    The attitude of the players seemed to be spot on. Could that be due to the influence of Bailey rubbing off on some of them already?
  • Options
    Maybe, but more like the side is better balanced.

Just sorting out centremid by adding Bailey, plugs the holes and let's everyone play their own game.

And it certainly brought the best out of Holland with a young buck beside him doing the grunt work, that Old Father Holland burned himself out trying to do last season.

And nice goal, Matty, well followed up.
  • Options
    Just sorting out centremid by adding Bailey, plugs the holes and let's everyone play their own game.

As someone says elsewhere, we've finally found a replacement for Scott Parker and though it's early days a player who I think will join the pantheon of combative centre-midfielders - Parker, Kinsella etc. A player like that inspires the fans and his team mates and frees them up to do their thing.
  • Options
    This is the sort of football that I expected from AP last season - it's taken time but at last we have a Charlton side playing with skill and commitment. Like any good team we now have the spine just about right: Weaver, Hudson, Bailey and Varney/Gray.
  • Options
    though while the likes of Moo, Hudson, Bailey all had good games the difference between the two sides was the respective front men. Though Gray and Varney made an awesome partnership... while Doyle and Lita spent most of the game throwing themselves to the floor or sitting in Hudson and Fortunes pockets
  • Options
    Fantastic match we have adapted to a more physical Championship side now with the addition of Battle hard pugs like Bailey and Hudson as-well as an injection of pace from Moo2, Buzz and Varney we look well-balanced and determined to do well; even loanees like Buzz want to up their game.

Bootifull if Charlton can play like this every game we can dare to look at the lush green fields of the Premiership...
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Excellent performance, and great character to come back from such crazy refereeing. Really enjoyed the match for once on TV, despite the inane commentary and bias of Graeme Murty. Credit where it's due - well done Mr Pardew and the whole squad. Holland said afterwards we'd set ourselves a benchmark to live up to - let's hope we can.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One swallow doesn't make a summer but the sun is certainly trying very hard to break out from behind that heavy cloud cover that's been hanging around over SE7 for a while.
    A giant step in the right direction...at long last.
    Loved it when Varney scored and half the team ended up in a group jumping around and hugging Pard's in front of the dug out....really good to see.
  • Options
    Pards apparently hasn't been too well .... he phoned in sick this morning with flu symptoms.

So that's half a winning team who are going to have colds all week .......(!)

;o)
  • Options
    That was as good as a performance and game since the Chelsea 4-2 in 2003 (I’m discounting the West Ham 4-0 on the basis they provided no opposition at all)

We played good stuff, always had a goal threat, the wingers got loads of crosses in, an excellent home debut from Bailey, and we came from a real set back from the berk of ref handing Reading their equaliser on a plate.

From all the doom and gloom that was a great day and hope is the catalyst for us to go really forward this season.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    it was a belter, edge of your seat stuff and to put the icing on the cake the ref was a complete bell end.

Nice sunny afternoon, 6 goals, 3 points, Rothko's hair cut making me feel a bit better about the state of my barnet.

Serious point not mentioned so far (barring my search skills) good to see the club continuing in dealing with real issues head on, the poor parents today, it really bought a tear to my eye.

Brave brave people, far better than I could ever do. I left the ground thinking that all the hoopla that comes with the football evaporates to nothing when acts like that take place.

Well done to our club in pushing matters such as that consistently to the fore.
  • Options
    All around me were saying what a real performance this was. Every player played his part with Bailey looking a real find and Hudson a rock in defence and Fortune the new Beckenbauer. I've said this on another thread but today, Pards signings in the team really looked good. Weaver, Moo2, Hudson, Bailey, Bouazza, Gray and Varney. Well done Pards. Now for some consistancy.
  • Options
    What a great match! Bailey is my new hero absolutely outstanding today. Finally a replacement for Parker.

Off to watch it again and sing to the telly.
  • Options
    I didn't read all the above comments all the way through but all I have to say is we were the Charlton of old today. Referee gave us nothing, gave Reading everything, we battled though.

Bailey was superb, as was Varney, as was Gray and Moutakil, and Hudson, and Fortune and Basey and Bou bou bouazza, and Matt Holland, and Nicky Weaver and bless him Lloyd Sam did what he was told too.

An excellent show all in all
  • Options
    best game in a long time brilliant
  • Options
    Who were those 11 imposters in Charlton shirts?

Bring back the couldn't care less/dog chasing it's tail attitude we have become accustomed to!

Damn it all, I had to walk around with a smile on my face all day...
  • Options
    i must say it was very pleasing and one went home rather happy

Well Done Charlton
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And the yids got beat.. My favourite sort of Saturday!!
  • Options
    we only won cos i wasn't there and couldn't even watch it on TV!!
  • Options
    Wasn't it just great to see some decent crosses coming into the box from our wide men, 'buzz' especially. Can you imagine if Thomas had the same chance to volley the fourth goal as 'buzz' did, what row of the North Stand it would have landed!

AFKA (Dan), pleasure to meet you yesterday. I at least now know one face from this site!
  • Options
    Firstly, nice to see Fatkit still has a crush on me.

What a great performance, against a side who have been massively hyped up, they reminded me of us from last season, full of average Premiership players who thought they were better then the division their in.

Bailey makes such a massive different to the way we operate as a side, covers the back four, gets up and down the park and uses the ball economically. Kins like more then Parker, but beggars and choosers.

We've now got a spine to the team, and fills me with confidence, and now with Linvoy, some decent cover
  • Options
    Played with spark and zip, Bouazza and Bailey were two players that set the tone for me, one by taking on and beating players out wide and then using the ball (My god a Charlton winger that can do that?!!) and one crunching into tackles and keeping it neat and tidy.

Luke Varney once again ran his nuts off, pleased for him for the goal, more will come.
  • Options
    Hi all, I'm a Addicks downunder man, often reading the posts on ere and its great to see such positive postings after a brillaint and gutsy display yesterday by the boys! We've been screaming for that kind of performance for 2 seasons now! I watched it down me local pub in Perth Australia but didnt have any volume on the box. How was the crowd? There were a few sections that were quite empty.
    There was a crewe fan on the next table and he said that he has watched Varney for a while and told me that he rates him, like the Micheal Owen of old he said and Varney will be brilliant for us the more he plays. Reckons we got him really cheaply as well.
    Anyways, Up the Addicks! Christian.
  • Options
    Haven't felt so positive about Charlton in ages. As someone else said, if we could have got playing like that instead of Curbs losing interest and demotivating all the players, what could have been.

Anyway, onwards and upwards. I just HOPE we carry on playing like this. We looked so up for it it was unbelieveable. Even Matty Holland's playing well again now he has a couple of decent players around him. Bouazza, Bailey, Holland and Varney for me displayed what being a Charlton player should be all about. (Well all of em but especially those three). Think of the number of times we've just layed down when a team's equalised/got in front during the last 4 years. None of that today!

Haven't felt this positive since the first few games of 05-06 (I think? season after palce were relegated) - before the footballing prolapse!)..

Great news about Linvoy too :-)
  • Options
    Linvoooooooooooy

He will scare the crap out of defenders at set pieces. Along with Hudon and Fortune we are looking taller and Youga or Basey.

I'm well happy like a pig in shit today, I will watch the prem games that are on as a neutral and enjoy my weekend.

I'm well happy for Luke Varney too, he earned his goal and it was a quality header
  • Options
    Confused emotions leaving the ground yesterday!
    Didnt know how to feel happy!
    So used to being able to moan and grumble after our usual poor performances.
    Yesterday was different and hope it lasts!
    Not going to get too carried away as I refuse get hurt a few months down the line!
  • Options
    Just enjoy the moment, Morts .........!

;o)