Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Spirit, Tenacity, Flair

edited August 2008 in General Charlton
All shown today.

Loved Bailey's tackling and commitment, Hudson looked a rock. Varney and Gray looked quality with Bouazza whipping balls in and creating problems. And everyone else did their bit.

The referee inadvertently energised the side and the supporters. You did your bit and that came through loud and clear on the tv.

The question is: Can it be sustained?

Nolly says discuss...

Comments

• Options
    Well I havnt got a scooby whether it can be sustained but there looked to be some real quality there, bailey looked brilliant and Holland played his part in helping him, varneys goal was sensational as was Boazza's who looked like hed take on anyone at any point .... great confident pen and the header that hit the bar was a brilliant move..... overall a really top class atttacking performance.....
  • Options
    Moo2 has to stay in the team this season. His speed down the line caused them problems all game, as did Bouazza down the other line.
    Bailey is what we have been missing since Parker left.
    A bit worrying that Reading were pushing so hard at the end with ten men. Perhaps we need to work on our fitness levels.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    [cite]Posted By: queensland_addick[/cite][
    A bit worrying that Reading were pushing so hard at the end with ten men. Perhaps we need to work on our fitness levels.

Good point, Queenie ....... although if you are down to 10 men and losing with 10 mins to go, you'd want your team to at least have a go and give it everything they've got.

Just like Charlton did at Watford last week.
  • Options
    The question is: Can it be sustained? Nolly says discuss...

In victory the danger is that you gloss over and forget the areas that still need work. A great team performance, Bouazza looks everything that we've missed in Jerome Thomas, I presume not being part of Fulham's plans he didn't have much of a pre-season, but he looks class. Sam on the other wing got some early balls in - I think it was his cross that lead to Holand's goal, and he certainly crossed the ball for Varney. Bailey and Holland were dominant in the centre. But, our back four as a unit still don't fill me with much confidence. Two penalties were given away, even if neither was a cast-iron decision, Reading hit the post/bar a couple of times and were given a bit too much time in the box and freedom.The good news is that Hudson looks everything we thought and hoped he'd be, but Fortune looks like the weak link. Moo2 played well, linked with sam and Basey played better as the game went on, and offers good cover at LB.

Can it be sustained? On last year's experience there might not be a team that runs away with the division and I don't see a lot of strong squads out there with strength in depth that could do that. In such situations it's invariably the teams that gel as a unit and graft out the victories that make the difference. After taking a two goal lead, seeing it pulled back and then going on to win should be great for the players confidence nad something to remember. From here we need to get at least one experienced centre-back in to complement Hudson, and of course we need to be lucky with injuries, suspensions and refereeing decisions, but if we can continue to make our luck then I see no reason why we shouldn't be there or thereabouts by the end of the season. There's still a lot of football to be played though...
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite] There's still a lot of football to be played though...

Just 43 games, BFR - still a lot of football to be played though.

:o)
  • Options
    A Championship side will win it why not us?:-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite][p]A Championship side will win it why not us?:-)[/p]

LOL, Len.

The voice of your hero inside your head.
    ;o)
  • Options
    At the end of the day that was one hell of a match and credit to both teams they played football......and it's been a long time since we have seen that. Just hope we can sustain this kind of performance because if we do we will be among them at em at the end of the season.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite][p]The question is: Can it be sustained?[/p]

I hope so.
  • Options
    Bailey seems to be just what we've been crying out for these last few seasons.A central midfielder that can boss a midfield from start to finish.
    I reckon he's going to get better and better.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dont forget Reading just came dome and it was the first goals they have conceded this year. They still have much of the same side that did well in many games last year. We just looked hungry. My wife now loves Weaver.
  • Options
    This was a real team performance but the spine of the team - at last looks good with Hudson, Bailey and Gray. If Bouazza can sustain that level of performance we will score some goals this season.

As for weaknesses, well I thought we defended too deep on occasions including when they scored their first. We did get caught a little by Reading but, in fairness they have some very skillful players. Reading liked to play the ball around and were not as physical as some we'll meet this season. I think we've got enough about us to compete though.

I'm going to big up Pards who has been criticised for some of his signings over the last couple of years. Today his signings really came good. Weaver, Moo2, Hudson, Bailey, Bouazza, Gray and Varney were all immense today.
  • Options
    I also thought Curbs signing Holland, was immense today.

S'right, eh Len?

;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite][p]I also thought Curbs signing Holland, was immense today.[/p][p]S'right, eh Len?[/p][p];o)[/p]

And Pards who didn't listen to the advice of some on here, re-signed him!! :o)
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Re-signed him twice in fact, Bing!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite][p]I also thought Curbs signing Holland, was immense today.[/p][p]S'right, eh Len?[/p][p];o)[/p]

I've criticised Holland in the past but I've also praised him when he's deserved it eg Stoke at home last season when he put in those two early tackles.

If Bailey can sustain the form he showed on Saturday Matty may be seen to best advantage. I maintain that he won't be able to consistently do it without someone like Bailey alongside him though.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I see that the problem most fans have with Matty, is that they expect him to be the ball winner and go careering around the park winning the crunch tackles.

That's never been his game, although he's been frequently expected to take on that role.

What Holland does best is build a platform for others to play their own game within the context of the team, always covering, directing, picking up the pieces and with the simple neat & tidy ball, starting the next move, bringing others into the game, allowing them to go forward.

Always talking, thinking & reading the game, utterly unselfish, unspectacular and often un-noticed - which is why he's always valued by his team mates and manager.

Now with Bailey alongside him, Matty doesn't have to play that ballwinning role as well as his own - he can just focus on what he does best - with a cool head, pulling the strings for the rest of the team.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Which is why he did so well in his first season, in 03/04. Parker was the ball winner, but took the ball forward to start off moves, Jensen and Di Canio could play the killer passes, take the set pieces and added skill to the hard work of Holland, Stuart and Parker. If only we had a proper goalscorer that season!