Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What a referee ......!

edited August 2008 in General Charlton
That ref bumbled his way through 90 minutes barely knowing what day of the week it was.

There were so many strange decisions and non-decisions today by that referee - but none so strange as that retaken penalty situation.

As Pards said after, "............ the incident with the second penalty was bizarre. In the context of the game, this was the third penalty so to have it retaken because the keeper had come two yards off his line was madness. He said it was the letter of the law but to give that decision was not good management from the officials."

Fair enough, referee .....you were only applying the letter of the law. So, as each and every goalkeeper moves off his line before every single penalty is taken, does that mean that every penalty saved (or missed) must be re-taken?

Because, according to your definition and interpretation of the ruling, then every missed penalty MUST be retaken.

The crowd got it right when they chanted "W*nker".

Comments

• Options
    I think I heard the commentator say it was his first game of the season and it showed.

If the decision to re-take the penalty was because Weaver came off his line and/or moved...then why didn't he order the first penalty that Reading missed to be re-taken as well? Weaver was off his line and moving early for that one too...
  • Options
    It was an odd bit of officiating thats for sure.

The Ref got every decison 'by the book' right but you'll see fouls like the 2nd Reading pen 20 times a game. And as a keeper weaver was not even 2 yards off his line, how many keepers will do that every penalty?

The only pen that i wasn't sure was a foul was the first where the player was already falling before anyone got near hi... cheating b*stard
  • Options
    Only think the 3rd was apenalty other than that he took the decision of his assistant whic you can't blame him for
  • Options
    Kelvin Morton eat your heart out !!

Added to the drama i suppose..... :-)
  • Options
    I thought the only one that was a penalty was the one that was not given just before the Varney goal.
  • Options
    Agreed Kaptain ...... that was a stonewall penalty.

It worked out well in the end though, when the ball was only cleared to Lloyd Sam and he put in the most inviting cross for Varney to power head home.

Who said Sam couldn't cross?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: T[/cite]The Ref got every decison 'by the book' right but you'll see fouls like the 2nd Reading pen 20 times a game.

not if they keep resulting in penalties you won't.
  • Options
    all through the game the atmosphere was really coming over loud and vociforous (sp!) on the tv, was very impressed, i'll tel you what tho, our home crowd do love a bit of a refereeing bumble, really does liven up the crowd, almost as much as a goal lol

great game, we played excellently and Baily was proper, happy days
  • Options
    TBF though, ....... the crowd slept through the first half an hour, basking in the warm summer sun.

It wasn't the team that roused them ...... it was that tw*t of a referee that got them incensed!

So perhaps for all his incompetence, we owe him a big thanks for getting the crowd on their feet - and giving us the best atmosphere at The Valley in living memory ........(!)

Altogether now, "W*nker, w*nker, WANKER!"
  • Options
    i thought the ref had a good game...tried to let it flow, wsn't too fussy, wasn't afraid of making the big calls (whether we liked them or not) and used his linesmen...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Must have been one of those days. In my Ryman Premier game (Margate v Canvey) on the line we had two red cards (one was for a Canvey substitute using foul and abusive language) and I gave a penalty to Canvey Island from the line. No protests so sort of speaks for itself that it was the correct decision. Final score: Margate 0, Canvey 4. All in all a good afternoon but I wish I didn't have a 130 mile round trip!
  • Options
    The ref was bad but actually i think the linesman gave the Charlton Pen and the second Reading Pen and also was the one who said Weaver came off his line so it isn't just the ref who should take the blame...
  • Options
    The referee makes the final decision though.
  • Options
    Was that the linesman from Sainsbury's .....?

;o)
  • Options
    I'll have to see the incidents to pass judgement - just to have 4 pens in a game is a rare event in itself. The referee will ensure all players are 10 yards from the ball before it is struck towards goal, the assistant will be goal judge so the assistant would have made the call on Weaver. It may have been in the referee's pre-match instructions that he wanted everything 100% - even things like encroachment or keeper movement on pens. Sounds like it could well have been that ref's first game at that level and he wanted to be on top on everything and was generally very nervous. I know what it's like as I was promoted to level 4 last Summer having been a level 6 only 2 months earlier.
  • Options
    Perhaps, then, that referee was only promoted to level 4 last Summer having been a level 6 only 2 months earlier.....?

Ready for a game at The Valley then Spankie .....?
    We could do with a homer ref (!)

;o)
  • Options
    LOL I refereed one of the Demelza charity games last year. What an honour on the hallowed turf at The Valley!!!
  • Options
    spankie when's f a cup start next week?
  • Options
    Already started NSS, did an Extra Preliminary round game between Romford and Biggleswade last Sunday. Also got a FA Vase game at Dorking on 6/9/08 and an Kent Senior Cup at Welling in November...games coming thick and fast. I have 5 in September and I'm on hols for 2 weeks!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Spankie[/cite][p]LOL I refereed one of the Demelza charity games last year. What an honour on the hallowed turf at The Valley!!![/p]

You were definitely a 'homer' in that match, Spankie ......

;o)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tee hee hee, impartiality is my middle name Oggy
  • Options
    who u got next week spankie isnt it F.A. Cup then?
  • Options
    I was told that on the radio they said Weaver moved off of the line before he saved it (which is ok I guess because its the rules) but they also said he moved when the second went it, so why wasn'tt that one called back??
  • Options
    A keeper is only penalised and a re-take ordered if a goal isn't scored, Kev.
  • Options
    why was the retaken pen given in the first place? All I saw was Weaver punch clear then a pen given. Two other questions, 1) for the pen where Varney was brought down surely that was a red esp seeing what Youga got sent off last week and 2) for that pen why didn't the linesman flag becuase when the ref spoke to him he gave it. All round an unbekievable performance from all the officials. Five minutes from time Varney rose and headed the ball off. Result : throw in to us !!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite][p]A keeper is only penalised and a re-take ordered if a goal isn't scored, Kev.[/p]

What is the point saying something is an offence only at certain points but not others? Silly silly silly rules!
  • Options
    As per the letter of the law the referee was right (having now seen it again on the box), but how many of those will be given this season. Could you imagine Man U being given 2 penalties against them at Old Trafford and the ref making the second one be retaken!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite][p]He said it was the letter of the law[p]Because, according to your definition and interpretation of the ruling, then every missed penalty MUST be retaken.[/p][p]The crowd got it right when they chanted "W*nker".[/p]

If the ref had really being applying the "letter of the law" it would have been an indirect free kick to us just inside the box. I think there were Reading players encroaching into the box before both the ball was struck and Weaver moving off his line.
  • Options
    how on earth do we keep ending up with these morons? I see Ian Williamson (ref at Watford) was keeping himself quiet and out of the way after his shocking decision last week... only sent the two players off yesterday and saw a last minute goal disallowed.
  • Options
    PS> is Coppell taking the piss?

"I don't want to complain about the referee but it did appear a jittery and nervous performance."

Don't tell me, Sonko was not a second bookable offence, we only had 3 penalties, what about that handball, yadda yadda