Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton V Reading - Player ratings

edited August 2008 in General Charlton
Copy and paste below, and add your ratings and individual comments

Weaver -
Moo2 -
Basey -
Fortune -
Hudson -
Sam -
Holland -
Bailey -
Buoazza -
Varney -
Gray -

Comments

• Weaver - 7 No probs with the goals
    Moo2 - 7 I like this lad esp his SPEEEEEEEED
    Basey - 6 OK but would prefer Youga back next week
    Fortune - 7 Along with Hudson dealt well with a couple of reasonable strikers
    Hudson - 7 As above
    Sam - 7 seems to work well with Moo2
    Holland - 7 Good steady preformance
    Bailey - 9 Very impressed. Excellent all round game. Long ball, short ball, ball winner (reminds me of Andy Peake with more aplication/end product)
    Buoazza - 8 Great finish for his goal and looked positive and confident throughout.
    Varney - 7 Worked hard as ever. I said on the way to the ground that I hope Pards sticks with him and Gray for at least 6 games.
    Gray - 7 Would loved that header to have gone in (and counted). He will come good.

Referee: 2 Absolutely shocking. Worst of all was the sending off which looked bloody harsh from where I was sitting
  • edited August 2008
    Weaver - 8 (shame about the Penalty which wasnt a penalty and shouldnt have been retaken)
    Moo2 - 7
    Basey - 6
    Fortune - 6 (flapped abit)
    Hudson - 8 (solid)
    Sam - 7
    Holland - 7
    Bailey - 8 (a real middfield pug)
    Buoazza - 9 (Amazing runs, efforts and Goal)
    Varney - 7 (good effort a few missed chances)
    Gray - 8 (well placed penalty)

Referee- 2 im sorry but what was his problem?!
  • Weaver - Good, faced the penalty situations well, no chance with header. 7
    Moo2 - Good, linked well with Sam, substituted so as to keep Semedo interested. 7
    Basey - Faced their best player, improved as the game went on, a couple of poor early corners. 6
    Fortune - Excellent, very powerful and posotive. 7.5
    Hudson - Excellent, may have needed to deal with messy situation thet led to their goal. 7.25
    Sam - One of his best games for us, stayed wide, used skill and found extra strength, effective. 7.5
    Holland - Outstanding for 90 minuted, weighed in with a goal, helped all of the team. 8
    Bailey - Great home debut, faded a little after his injury, neat and tidy, could add a little sharpness. 7.25
    Buoazza - Outstanding, constant threat, great finish to a great team goal, different gravy to previous loanees 8.5
    Varney - Pacy, unselfish, effective, caused penalty scored great header, excellent. 8.25
    Gray -Improved throughout game, nerveless penalty, header thumped the bar, very good. 7.75

Referee outstanding for 35 minutes, then a complete headless chicken display, wierd wierd wierd.

the game overall was absolutely excellent, the support did well. 9

Seth
  • edited August 2008
    Weaver - 8 - very solid, claimed any high ball and made an excellent save from the penalty. If the 'letter of the law' is adhered to, then every missed penalty would be re-taken until its scored because EVERY keeper moves forward off his line every time a penalty is taken - EVERY SINGLE ONE. Absolutely awful decision.
    Moo2 - 7 - Quality going forward, and a peach of a ball for Bouazza's goal, but looked a little suspect at the back and was daft to stick his leg out for their first pen.
    Basey - 5 - Poor. Lack of pace is going to be a big problem for him, his delivery from set-pieces was pretty grim and he often got caught out of position. I know he's young, but we can't afford to take chances with him - Youga has to play every time when fit/not suspended.
    Fortune - 7 - Solid, but daft to tug Lita back for their second pen, even though the decision looked a bit soft. Will be interesting to watch the replay later
    Hudson - 8 - Commanding - never looks like losing a header, has good positional sense and can play a bit as well. A bonus that Fortune looks like a quality player when he's there as well.
    Sam - 7 - Frustrating, but much better than against Swansea. At times him and Moo2 tore Hunt to bits, especially first half, and he put a few great balls into the box. Still dawdled a lot on the ball though, looks like he thinks he has more time in possession than he actually does.
    Holland - 8 - Fine display, a lot of nous to get in the box sniffing for a rebound for the first goal and formed an excellent partnership with...
    Bailey - 9 - Cracking debut. Tackles well, nice range of passing, has an eye for goal and as committed as Parker & Kinsella. Early days, but he could make an immense difference to us - much like Kins did when we first got him.
    Bouazza - 8 - Best goal at the Valley for a long time. Not only that, but offers a real threat cutting inside from the left - joyous to watch him do what Thomas SHOULD have been doing all last season - skipping past the full back and getting into the box.
    Varney - 8 - Great closing down, pace caused havoc for their centre backs and a quality header for the goal. Still not much in the way of real link-up play with Gray, but full of effort, and the goal will do him a world of good.
    Gray - 7 - Hard-working, and a lot more skilful than a lot of people realise. He really, really reminds me of Andy Hunt - not as good, but plays in a very similar way. Great pen as well

Ambrose - 5 - Not on long enough to make an impression
    Semedo - 5 - Ditto, though I thought he did well to keep his composure when that knacker tried to cut him in half at the end

Overall, that was the best I've seen us play in years. Need to cut out the errors at the back, but if they play like that for the rest of this season, we'll definitely be in the shake-up come May.
  • Weaver - 7 Two good saves and saved the penalty well first time
    Moo2 - 7 Thought he looked excellent going foward and linking up with Sam, marred slightly by giving away the pen when the Reading player as going away from goal.
    Basey - 5 Looked very green at times and was easily done a few times by their winger(probally should go out on loan)
    Fortune - 6 Sloppy at times will get punished all season.
    Hudson - 8 Solid
    Sam - 9 Execellent service on the right wing best I've seen him play
    Holland - 7
    Bailey - 7
    Buoazza - 9 MOTM for me super goal and a handfull all day
    Varney - 8 Loved the fact he ran up to Pards when he scored.
    Gray - 7
  • edited August 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite][p]
    Bailey - 9 Very impressed. Excellent all round game. Long ball, short ball, ball winner (reminds me of Andy Peake with more aplication/end product)
    [/p]
    Oooooooh Peakey rocket... :)

Good shout that - plays in a very similar way. No nonsense and gets stuck in without needing to charge round like a ****ing loon like a lot of similar players.
  • Weaver - 7 (did little wrong)
    Moo2 - 8 (great game in defence and in attack)
    Basey - 6 (the more i see the more i think this lad is a 'Barry' like midfielder, did an ok job at LB)
    Fortune - 8 (fabulous distribution looks a better player alongside Hudson)
    Hudson - 8 (Like the immovable object)
    Sam - 7 (decent couple of crosses, but frustratingly sill makes the wrong decision in key areas)
    Holland - 7 (neat and tidy)
    Bailey - 7 (This lad is the blood and thunder midfielder we've been looking for, nice range of passing, although got caught in posession in dangerous areas)
    Buoazza - 8 (sweet left foot but not quite fit yet)
    Varney - 8 (Along with Gray the difference between the two sides)
    Gray - 8 (Along with Varney difference between the two sides)
  • How can you possibly compare Bailey to Andy Peake? He gets stuck in, wins tackles, and passes the ball forward. I don't remember Peake doing any of that very often!

Agree with general ratings/ comments so far. Difficult to chose a man of match for once as so many candidates. Think Bouazza would just about get my vote as he casued them problems all game and sealed it with that stunning goal.
  • varney and bailey were fantastic
  • Nicky Bailey 20 out of 10 what a home debut there's only 2 mark kinsella's
  • Sponsored links:

• Weaver -7 not much to do really but did what he had to with applomb was unlucky with the penalty save but do think the official got it right just need to do it every time now
    Moo2 - 7 couple of mistakes but looked good going forward and fairly solid defenisvely great cross for bouazza
    Basey -6 looked sus defensively but he's not a left back far from it.
    Fortune - 7 solid
    Hudson -7 solid
    Sam - 7 looks good in spurts and sometimes looks poor today overall he caused ther left back problems
    Holland - 6 - put himself about scored and thatg was it
    Bailey - 8 excellent play good passng and got stuck in big time
    Buoazza - 7 looked very good and tookk his goal well needs to work on final ball
    Varney -9 brilliant performance my favourite player at the moment worked his bollox off and scored a stunning header
    Gray - 7 lead the line well should hae scored that header albeit offside BUT both strikers looked good because thy got service
  • edited August 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]Gray - 7 lead the line well should hae scored that header albeit offside BUT both strikers looked good because thy got service

Tv replay shows, I believe, that he wasn't offside at all.
  • nearly a yard on from the replays
  • edited August 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite][p] Difficult to chose a man of match for once as so many candidates. Think Bouazza would just about get my vote as he casued them problems all game and sealed it with that stunning goal.[/p]

Alan Pardew was my man of the match - for putting together a team that actually looked like a team.

Sorry, Weegie .......(!)

;o)
  • Agree with most of the above although I think an extra point for Hudson 'cos he has given Fortune confidence.
    Thought Matt Holland had a great game. Andy Gray's hold up play has improved no end, Bailey's home debut was one of the best I have seen at the Valley for some seasons.
    But more important than all the above was the fact that we beat a team fav to go up, also we had the mental strength to beat them when they were coming back into the game, that is when we played our best football.
    Confidence is a wonderful allie.
  • Weaver - Could have been more positive for the goal, other than that thought he did everything well. 7.5 / 10
    Moo2 - Best defensive performance I have seen from him and powerful going forward. 8 /10
    Basey - Did oK but his conrners lacked accuracy, has not really given Pards much to thinbk about with Youga available next week. 5.5/10
    Fortune - Looks like he is enjoying playing next to a strong centre half and looking a bit closer to the Costa Fortune. Made one error in the game but that was well handled. 7.5 / 10
    Hudson - First time I have seen him, solid and assurred, not a foot wrong a great base to the spine 8.5 /10
    Sam - Looked bright and confident, but needs to be able to think and run at the same time. 5.5/10
    Holland - With a strong partner next to him played an awsome game, was good to see him following up Varneys shot to open the scoring, got in two or three really hard midfield destroying tackles. 8/10
    Bailey - Started a little nervously on his valley debut, but after about 15 minutes was proving to be the fulcrum of midfield, an inspiring performanmce for the crowd and team 8.5 /10
    Buoazza - Having seen him against Yeovil, he has stepped up to the plate and was really effective, also liked to see a loan player play with enthusiasm and commitment, being booked for contesting the retakien penalty showe just how much he cared. 8.5 /10
    Varney - This was a game where the doubters could see that not only does he have a high work rate but he can score goals too.8 /10
    Gray - Finally showed us what he can do, its been a long time coming now he has to keepit up. Missed out on a second goal aftyer a screaming header hit the bar. 8/10
  • [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite][p]
    Sam - Looked bright and confident, but needs to be able to think and run at the same time. 5.5/10
    [/p]

I think you've hit the nail on the head there, Kap.
  • edited August 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]Holland - 6 - put himself about scored and thatg was it

if he hadn't scored,maybe 5 at most?
  • edited August 2008
    [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]Tv replay shows, I believe, that he wasn't offside at all.[/p]

Yeah I know but the record books show it was offside. I was watcing on TV as a non ST holder now.
  • Weaver - 7
    Moo2 - 7
    Basey -5
    Fortune - 6
    Hudson -7
    Sam - 6
    Holland - 7
    Bailey -8
    Buoazza -8
    Varney -9
    Gray -8
  • Sponsored links:

• Weaver - Solid - Unlucky with the second pen 7
    Moo2 - Excellent - finally looked like a defender 7
    Basey - Looked a bit short of fitness and overhit a few crosses but battled well 7
    Fortune - Good game (apart from the pen) 7
    Hudson - He is an excellent signing - a real ball magnet 8
    Sam - Despite some lack of end product - a good game and worked hard 7
    Holland - Maybe some think he's over the hill - not on this performance - really excellent 8
    Bailey - Despite occasionally getting caught in possession I thought he was superb - The new Kinsella 9
    Bouazza - Excellent performance - more end product than Thomas achieved all last season - great goal 8
    Varney - Worked his socks off. Good goal - looked sharp 8
    Gray - Really worked hard - took penalty well - looked a threat in the air 8

Pardew - excellent signings in Bailey, Hudson and Bouazza, got the best out of the side today. The best performance in my view since West Ham over a season ago 10
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite][p]Pardew - excellent signings in Bailey, Hudson and Bouazza, got the best out of the side today. The best performance in my view since West Ham over a season ago 10[/p]

Old club syndrome?

Seriously, the team was motivated, industrious, well balanced ....... and intermittantly inspired.
    That's down to the manager.

Well done Pards!
  • edited August 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]Yeah I know but the record books show it was offside. I was watcing on TV as a non ST holder now.[/p]

plastic
  • Weaver - 6

Yassin - 7
    Hudson - 7
    Fortune - 7
    Basey - 6

Sam - 7
    Holland - 7
    Bailey - 8
    Bouazza - 8

Gray - 7
    Varney - 8
  • Weaver - 7 no chance with the goals
    Moo2 - 7 no howlers got forward well
    Basey - 6 (disappointing corners by his usual standards)
    Fortune - 7 solid throughout
    Hudson - 6 thought he was picking up Sonko for the goal otherwise fine
    Sam - 7 would be 6 but the cross for Varney's goal was worth an extra point
    Holland - 7 As said elsewhere Bailey allowed him to be more influential
    Bailey - 8 Kishlike. I can think of no higher compliment:-)
    Buoazza -9 A threat every time he had the ball and what a volley for the goal!
    Varney - 7 His usual hardworking self and took his goal well
    Gray - 7 Beginning to see what he brings to the table. Linking well with Varney
  • Weaver - 7
    Moo2 - 7
    Basey - 6
    Fortune - 7
    Hudson - 7
    Sam - 7
    Holland - 7
    Bailey - 8
    Buoazza - 8
    Varney - 7
    Gray - 7
  • Weaver - 7 Back four should feel assured with his consistency
    Moo2 - 8 The best we have seen from him with his overlapping runs and crosses. Improving defensively.
    Basey - 6 Some poor positioning and his distribution was unusually poor. Lack of pace sometimes showed.
    Fortune - 7 A better display. Hopefully it'll improve his confidence.
    Hudson - 8 Solid. Superb in the air and a real leader.
    Sam - 8 Actually showed flair with invention putting in better crosses and passes to allow opportunities.
    Holland - 8 Typical display of old. Influential.
    Bailey - 9 Man of the match. Energy, stamina, tackling, and distribution were superb.
    Buoazza - 8 We finally have a left footed left winger who can run at people and produce an end product.
    Varney - 8 Showed energy and turn of pace. Great header for the goal.
    Gray - 8 Held the ball up well and good in the ar. Linked up well with Varney and allowed the midfield in the game.

Alan Pardew - 9 Got the side playing some entertaining, fast flowing, pass and move football.
  • [cite]Posted By: Crazy[/cite][p]
    Basey - 6 Some poor positioning and his distribution was unusually poor. Lack of pace sometimes showed.
    [/p]

It wasn't Basey's best game, agreed.

But to be fair, he hasn't trained all week with the thigh strain he picked up in the Watford match.
    And secondly ......he was up against probably Reading's trickiest and best player.

Don't forget, he's still very young and his career only amounts to around 10 league matches.
  • Weaver - 8 - Solid and kept all LEGAL penalties out!
    Moo2 - 7 - Superb ball for Bouazza, would just like to see him a bit more assured positionally but that will only come with experience. No way should he be giving away a penalty to someone running away from goal and going nowhere though.
    Basey - 6 - Have been clamouring for the lad to get in the team as on his day his set pieces are a potential match-winner. Not his day though evidently! Caught out on the odd occasion a la Moo2 as well.
    Fortune - 7 - Only the one mad moment today, much better!
    Hudson - 8 - An absolute giant. The epitomy of assured.
    Sam - 7 - Good cross for Varney, needs to do it more often.
    Holland - 7 - Neat performance but perhaps Bailey on displays like that will allow us to play someone with a bit more attacking input in the middle.
    Bailey - 9 - Superb. Hard in the tackle, careful in possession and pinged a couple of truly Premiership quality passes.
    Buoazza - 9 - Class. You knew from his good early run and shot that he was on his mettle today, stunning strike, good pace, tied the full-back up in knots and gave an end product.
    Varney - 8 - Ran and ran and ran and ran, great header, showed good pace on the last defender's shoulder as well.
    Gray - 6 - Confident penalty, helped Luke out more than he has lately but needs to add a bit more.
  • Weaver - 8/10 Two very very good saves and the pen save was good despite allegedly moving
    Moo2 - 7/10 A more confident Moo2
    Basey -7/10 This lad is going to get better and better
    Fortune - 7/10 Despite a wobble, a good solid game
    Hudson -6/10 Not bad, but not as good as we know he can be
    Sam - 7/10 Best game for ages
    Holland - 8/10 Bailey allowed Matty to play his game well
    Bailey -9/10 What a great engine this lad has....tackling, vision and passing...what a debut
    Buoazza -8/10 Now I can see why we signed him...amazing left footer
    Varney -8/10 Never stopped running and a great goal considering he was flattened for a stone wall pen seconds before...and he was running backwards
    Gray -8/10 His best game yet in a Charlton shirt, shame about hitting the bar

Ref 2/10 what a plonker
    Lino running the east stand second half 0/10 worst lino Ive ever seen and Id be happy to pay for a visit to specsavers