Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A few days ago....

edited August 2008 in General Charlton
in answer to whether he should drop Varney, i said

'But one of the things we went wrong with last season was by chopping and changing too quickly. Varney has not fully impressed in the last couple of games, but equally needs some form of loyalty, if the manager rates him, to play through it.'

I think this picture answers that one !!

Comments

• Options
    Adam, do you know why this is showing as an attachment and not a picture ?
  • Options
    lets hope he can finally kick on now. When confident, he looks a different player.
  • Options
    You know what AFKA? I was all for Dicko to play but after your comment on that thread, I agreed with you and glad Pards did too. That was a lovely moment (pic) and I hope it won't be the first bit of good man-management from Pardew this season.

Have to say I loved that they sung his name at the end (Pards that is) - deep down I am dying for him to succeed - don't know why.
  • Options
    I thought Varney had one of his best games for us yesterday. Took his goal really well. I don't even remember him getting caught offside once!
  • Options
    brilliant header....... just want to find a way to see it again..... If any one can get it uploaded Id be delighted...
  • Options
    Players who work as hard as Varney deserve to have patience given to them. He worked his nuts off all afternoon and gave Readings defence headache after headache, he is the sort of player we need to keep and encourage.
  • Options
    I've always thought Varney couldn't head the ball ....... cheers Lukey, for proving me wrong!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite][p]I thought Varney had one of his best games for us yesterday. Took his goal really well. I don't even remember him getting caught offside once![/p]

No Bouazza was beating him to it for the offsides.

Alays rated Varney and it goes without saying you got to give Varney and Gray a run of games to hit it off.
  • Options
    love the bloke... can't fail to see how hard he works and how much he wants it, great header yesterday when others may have still been lying on the floor trying to get the penalty

he's missed 4 one-on-ones in 4 games but he gets himself there, the confidence and sharpness will come with the pace and effort that's there already

keep it up Luke Luke Luke
  • Options
    He works like a dog, I get the feeling with Luke is that he tries to hard to make things happen when his confidence is down, but once he scored he was back to himself, and by god it's going to be fun to watch him go in weeks to come
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    if fit and played for most of the season he'll get 15-20 goals....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite][p]He works like a dog, I get the feeling with Luke is that he tries to hard to make things happen when his confidence is down, but once he scored he was back to himself, and by god it's going to be fun to watch him go in weeks to come[/p]

Totally agree Rothko. Our best home performance last season for me was against Palarse and Luke was on top form that day as well. The trick for Pards is to keep his confidence up. If he can we are in for something special.
  • Options
    Hands up from me maybe i was a tad quick to dispute his forward capabilities i watched the whole game on sky+ last nite and Varney did well great header for the gooal and with Buzz on the wing there seems to be a different feeling with our front 2.

lets just hope it continues 4 in 4 at home for gray as well cant be forgotten
  • Options
    Just hope he hasn't caught the flu from Pards after getting that close!
  • Options
    he could catch a lot worse from pards ;-)
  • Options
    Careful, NSS, we'll have the Pards fan club after us again!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite][p]he could catch a lot worse from pards ;-)[/p]

No danger of that Varney always uses protection........................................... as can be seen Luke is wearing shinpads ;-)
  • Options
    funny saturday Weegie when everyone started singing super alan pardew,i couldn't bring myself to sing it after 1 good performance.One of the geezers who sits with us (kblittlesis knows who it is) stood up and shouted you wont be super until you get us promoted you feckin w**ker,I peed myself laughing.
  • Options
    you can watch the goals from the game on youtube
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: charltonsteve21[/cite][p]you can watch the goals from the game on youtube[/p][/quote]

Any chance of a link? I've looked, but can't find anything...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite][p]funny saturday Weegie when everyone started singing super alan pardew,i couldn't bring myself to sing it after 1 good performance.One of the geezers who sits with us (kblittlesis knows who it is) stood up and shouted you wont be super until you get us promoted you feckin w**ker,I peed myself laughing.[/p][/quote]

I look forward to singing it at the top of my voice after Easter once we are guaranteed top two - or I might even let him off with top six, all things considered...that's the kind of humble pie I would very much enjoy eating.
  • Options
    totally agree weegie I would love nothing more than to be proved wrong.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]there seems to be a different feeling with our front 2.

I thought Varney worked the channels a lot better on Sat, but more importantly when he got the ball wide he was looking to attack and put the emphasis on the defender to stop him.

So much comes down to confidence.
  • Options
    He also won a fair few headers - not only for the goal.
  • Options
    And Pardew gave him a knee trembler
  • Options
    Can't remember too many players jumping on Curbs when they scored - here or at the Hammers. Could it be something to do with Man Management? How many players did Curbs fall out with who never actually "played" for him again? Steve Coppell banned Sonko for 2 weeks at the end of last season but never shut the door on him and hopefully we will the same strength with Pards.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    re NSS friend who wouldn't sing along to 'Sooper Al'

lol!

he has in fits most games...........we're going to club together & get him some lozengers..........poor guys throat must be red raw after every game!