Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Starting XI

edited August 2008 in General Charlton
Assuming ZZ stays, no one else comes in and all including Toddy are fit whats your starting 11

Weaver
Moutakill Hudson, Primus, Youga
Sam, Bailey, Ambrose, Bouza
Varney, Todorov

Bench Elliot, Bassey, ZZ, Holland, Grey

Comments

• Options
    What a strange question. Why would anyone want to change a winning team that had just put in the performance they did yesterday?

But you have gone and made 4 changes - bizarre!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I think it's more likely swapping Gray and Toddy. Use Toddy as an impact player if things are not going well. Having Bailey in the team would suit Ambrose so he can be more attacking. Plus on your bench no real cover for the centre backs so would expect Semedo or Fortune to be on the bench. I also believe Pardew won't change the team from Saturday unless he has to. It goes back to the old saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it".
  • Options
    Kap my man...leave it out FFS!!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    [quote][cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite][p]Kap my man...leave it out FFS!![/p][/quote]

:-) The question is more of an academic one rather than who would you play against PNE or based on yesterday, unless it is believed that yesterdays team was the strongest / best we could put out.

[quote][cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Why would anyone want to change a winning team that had just put in the performance they did yesterday?[/quote]

So next week you would keep Youga on the bench?
  • Options
    I would certainly consider it Kap - otherwise I think it sends out the wrong message. By all accounts Youga was having a bit of a stinker at Watford before he got sent off and Basey didn't do much wrong yesterday.
  • Options
    Yes, Youga was totally shocking at Watford. Basey deserves another chance to prove he can hold down the LB position.
  • Options
    But Basey was pooh yesterday. Anyone running at him with any sort of pace will murder him, he often wanders out of position (witness getting caught in possession in midfield leading up to their first pen yesterday) and he gets turned far too easily. Like I said in an earlier thread, he's only young, and doesn't have too much experience, but we can't afford to take any risks. Admittedly Youga isn't that much better, but he's certainly quicker and no worse positionally. the only thing I think Basey has over him is that he's a better passer - and I'd take pace over passing ability in this division every day. Since some elements of our 'support' are not exactly forgiving of late, I fear if he makes a couple of rickets that cost us goals his confidence will be shot to bits within a month. I say break him in slowly - bringing him on as a sub in a few games where we're either relatively safe, or the game's beyond us.
  • Options
    Varney and Todorov PLEASE.

Varbey and Gra starting to gel and look the part so no change there. I would bring Youga in as he's a better left back than Basey and that would be my only change.

Ambrose is not match fit and neither is Primus. We've conceded 3 goals in 3 games so can;t see anything wrong there.

But as the saying goes if it ain't broke.
  • Options
    I wouldn't change the team apart from maybe playing Youga instead of Basey at home. Away and depending on the opposition I would play Youga and Basey down the left with Bouazza to come on as an impact player. When Tody is fit I see him starting some games if Pards feels he needs somebody to play in the hole behind Varney (although Gray can do that), otherwise I would use him as an impact player. Much as I like the idea of Primus coming in, I think that Hudson and Fortune have struck up a decent partnership and I wouldn't change that.
  • Options
    Is it just me or is Fortch looking a completely different player with Hudson next to him?

It's been done to death the argument about him being indecisive etc but he had a great game Saturday blocking everything and was very dominant.

Would be well unfair to drop him after that and I'm not his biggest fan
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite][p]Is it just me or is Fortch looking a completely different player with Hudson next to him?[/p][p]It's been done to death the argument about him being indecisive etc but he had a great game Saturday blocking everything and was very dominant.[/p][p]Would be well unfair to drop him after that and I'm not his biggest fan[/p]

I just think he's better when he's got a partner who is very decisive. It means Fortune knows where he stands and it allows him to concentrate on his own job. He was excellent alongside Jorge Costa.
  • Options
    why would you swap gray for Toddy (i like Toddyin our team) but Gray has scored 4 in 4 at home lets give the guy a run
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite][p]why would you swap gray for Toddy (i like Toddyin our team) but Gray has scored 4 in 4 at home lets give the guy a run[/p]

spot on geezer
  • Options
    Attacking wise dare I say it we are starting to gel, which is great news, Bailey as others have said and we have all been saying for some years, has plugged a big hole we've had in the squad and has hopefully brought some balance. It would be interesting to see who is the better partner for him in the centre of midfield, Ambrose, Jonjo, ZZ??? etc but no hurry at the moment Holland is doing fine.

I wouldn't touch the front line, although I think it'd be good to see Dickson come on with 20 mins to go with Varney going wide right or perhaps having a well earned breather.

As for the defence we have options at both full back positions (until injuries hit that is) and I think there is a good argument for letting it settle, so far no one has staked a claim though. Fortune can be a worry in the centre, but I'm not sure Primus' lack of pace would be a good thing.

I wouldn't bring in another defender, if we can only bring in one more player I would make it a wide player a position we seem to be down to the last 2.. but I guess beggars can't be choosers, and if we do then it must be someone who can play across the back four.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Weaver
    Moutakill, Hudson, Fortune, Youga

Sam, Bailey, Holland, Buzzer

Varney, Grey

Subs:Elliot,Basey,Primus,Ambrose,Toddy(or Dickson)

I wouldnt put three players who have just returned from injury in the starting 11 however including them on the bench and bringing them on as subs would be a great introduction back into competative football. Fortune is a worry but what are our other options? Primus should be brought on as a sub but shouldnt start because he is lacking match fitness. It would be great to see Toddy in action again but we should stick to a winning formula up front. As for Dickson we should give him as many first-team apperences as possible because he looks like a genuine talent, however with the return of Toddy he will have trouble getting a spot on match day.
  • Options
    Weaver
    Mou2-Hudson-Fortune-Youga
    Sam-Bailey-Holland-Buzzer
    Varney-Gray

Subs: Elliot, Primus, Shelvey, Ambrose, Dickson
  • Options
    i say we stick with the same starting 11 with elliot youga shelvey ambrose dickson on the bench
  • Options
    No place on the bench for Mr Utility Man, Semedo?
  • Options
    When every one is fit
    Weaver
    Moto-Hudson-Primus-Youga
    Ambrose-Bailey_holland-Buzz
    Varney-Grey

Elliot,Semedo,zz,sam,dickson
  • Options
    No place on the bench for Mr Utility Man, Semedo?

Perhaps for away games you should have two defenders on the bench, but Primus and Fortune can play anywhere across the back. Is Primus fully fit? The report said that he would stay with Portsmouth until he recovers from the groin strain, has he arrived at SE7 yet?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i had 2 ponder that 1 but i thought youga should at least get a place on the bench but thought basey should get the start after saturday.i would let semedo play 90mins 4 the reserves at cb next tuesday along with tod playing 90 mins aswell see how he does.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite][p]No place on the bench for Mr Utility Man, Semedo?[/p][p]..........[/p][p]Perhaps for away games you should have two defenders on the bench, but Primus and Fortune can play anywhere across the back. Is Primus fully fit? The report said that he would stay with Portsmouth until he recovers from the groin strain, has he arrived at SE7 yet?[/p]

Pards said in the News Hopper link today (posted in another thread), that Linvoy shoold be joining on Wednesday but won't be considered for Preston. He will then play in a Charlton reserve match the week after, and see what his fitness levels are like then.

So we won't see Primus for a couple of weeks yet.
  • Options
    Semedo in for Primus then...
  • Options
    Whilst I can see the same team/formation in future home games I do feel that, with one of our strengths being the fact that Moutu and Youga do bomb forward (and need some sort of cover as a result), Pards might change to one of these two options:

Weaver

Moutu Hudson Fortune Youga

Holland Bailey

Varney Ambrose/ZZ Bouazza

Gray

Or, for matches later in the season when a point might be a big result, he night retain the 4-4-2 but sacrifice the "wingers" for "wide midfielders" a la Curbs:

Weaver

Moutu Hudson Fortune Youga

Ambrose Holland Bailey Basey

Varney/Dickson/Bouaza Gray/Todorov
  • Options
    LOL - that's any two from the front 5
  • Options
    semedo in the 15 everytime for me he is invaluable to our squad
  • Options
    Agree that Semedo useful to have on the bench but he doesn't seem to me to be the "best" we have at full back, centre back or midfield.
  • Options
    maybe not the best but the best back up.
  • Options
    agreed but cb is he prefered position and untill primus is fit he is our only back up cb.and he hasnt played there in a long time,so could b a good thing 4 him
  • Options
    Same as Sat, but Youga for Basey.

No one else deserved to be dropped, so I wouldn't until they do deserve it!