Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - 25th August 1984. Cardiff City 0 Charlton 3

edited August 2008 in General Charlton
Saturday 25th August 1984. Division 2. Ninian Park, att: 5,020.

Cardiff City 0 (0) Charlton Athletic 3 (1) (Hales 23 52(pen) 68)

Cardiff: Smelt, Jones, Grant (Bodin 65), Dwyer, Smith, Tong, Elsey, Gibbins, Vaughan, Seasman, Summerfield.

Charlton: Johns, Curtis, Dickenson, Madden, Moore, Berry, Flanagan (Gritt 73), Hales, Lee, Aizlewood, Robinson.

Referee: L M Robinson (Sutton Coldfield)

Aizlewood was cautioned in the first minute following a flare-up with Dwyer.

Record marksman: Hales equalled Leary's all-time record of 163 goals in all competitions for Charlton when he completed his hat-trick in this game. He went on to surpass it 3 days later in the home draw with Huddersfield Town.

Charlton's avarage home league gate was 5,104 with seven attendances not making the 4,000 mark, the lowest of which was the visit of Sheffield United 3,267.

Also this year: Everton beat Rapid Vienna 3-1 to lift the European Cup Winners Cup and Liverpool lost in the European Cup Final to Juventus 1-0 in The Heysel Stadium when many fans lost their lives.

Comments

• Options
    Remember it well ; i was in gay Paree with a young lady called Jackie for the weekend.
    It really was a toughy; Paris or Ninian Park ?
  • Options
    Very memorable - particularly when Cardiff's finest started jumping over the toilet wall into our end.

24 years ago??? I now feel very old!!
  • Options
    1905 said:

Very memorable - particularly when Cardiff's finest started jumping over the toilet wall into our end.

I bet you were in there like a shot!
  • Options
    1905 said:

Remember that, on the way back to the station the police had to keep moving the Cardiff boys along as they were intent on a bit of fisticuffs. Seem to remember that the toilet attack was rebuked by Mr Pitts and Big Dunc (God rest them) amongst others.
  • Options
    I'm astounded by those pitifully low attendances. A mere 3,267 against Sheffield United!
  • Options
    Always remember Peter Burrowes going batshitmental in typical PB style on LBC. Happy days....
  • Options
    As usual the Programme can be seen here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/7403779878

Want to see more Charlton Programmes, then visit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/sets/
  • Options

I'm astounded by those pitifully low attendances. A mere 3,267 against Sheffield United!

Strangely enough i always enjoyed away days in that era, when perhaps only 50/60 of us would manage to have a real good day out.
  • Options

Strangely enough i always enjoyed away days in that era, when perhaps only 50/60 of us would manage to have a real good day out.
    I enjoyed them enormously, too - even getting turned over 4-0 at Chester City in 1980-81. For us, was it the bloom of youth that made everything so thrilling?

• Options
    This was my first ever, "outside of London" away game.
    Went by a Lewis Coach , which got a puncture which one of the passengers fixed.
    We spent much of the second half dancing to the Hawaii 5 0 theme tune, up and down the terraces.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I enjoyed them enormously, too - even getting turned over 4-0 at Chester City in 1980-81. For us, was it the bloom of youth that made everything so thrilling?

Yes i think it was. No mobiles phones or internet, everything was spontaneous.
  • Options
    I was there for that one. Seem to remember the Cardiff fans suddenly appearing in our section near the end. Managed to get out alive as we walked out and across the car park at full time. Happy days.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    1905 said:

1905 said:

Remember that, on the way back to the station the police had to keep moving the Cardiff boys along as they were intent on a bit of fisticuffs. Seem to remember that the toilet attack was rebuked by Mr Pitts and Big Dunc (God rest them) amongst others.
    I wish a great writer among us like GlassHalfFull would collate our memories of away matches in those days and publish them in book form. Otherwise, as the years pass, they will be forgotten forever. One of my personal favourites was away at Chester City in 1980-81; we were in the old Third Division. I travelled there by train from Euston, had a nosey round that fine city, then walked out to the old Sealand Road ground where we were completely taken apart: tonked 4-0. Their right-winger tormented Lawrie Madden, our left-back, for the entire 90 minutes. Attendance: 2,684.

After the game, those returning by train were shepherded by the Old Bill on to an old Leyland Atlantean bus and driven back to the station. On the upper deck, someone had a transistor radio and when the theme tune of Sports Report came on we all stamped our feet in time to the music and damned nearly turned the bus over. We changed trains at Crewe, and I went off in to the town for an hour for a couple of pints of Boddington's. When I got back to the station, I opened the door of the buffet on the platform, and there was the Charlton team - Killer Hales, Paul Walsh, Paddy Powell et al - standing at the bar necking bottles of lager!

This was in February 1981, and we had been running away with the league. But we faltered badly after that tonking at Chester, won only six of the remaining 16 games, and were eventually promoted in third place behind Rotherham and Barnsley. It's amazing to think that in the intervening years the Sealand Road ground was demolished and Chester City went bust and started again in non-league, while we have been up to the Prem and back down to the Third again.

Come on, GHF - Before these wonderful stories are forgotten, interview FavershamAddick about the time Mr Pitts and Big Dunc fought off the Cardiff boys in the khazi at Ninian Park.

• Options
    Deff need a book to save the 80s memories
  • Options
    I was there.

Small B Mob contingent sat in a line on the terrace adjacent the Cardiff fans and vigorously rowed an imaginary boat whilst singing the theme music to Hawaii-5-O.
  • Options
    This was a memorable day for me as I went to this game with Vince Neiscweicz and somehow[as only he can] we got into the players bar after the game and bought" killer" a pint .He still had the ball under his arm and was only too pleased to tell us how much he diisliked flanagan.I think this was the first game back playing together.those were the days[or so it seems].