Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

A few more positives from Saturday

edited August 2008 in General Charlton
1. Despite some excellent individual displays, I haven't been altogether confident of the front two's potency so far, but on Saturday there were several times when either winger or Moo2 got wide, and both forwards appeared quickly around the pen spot, just waiting for a nice cross. Thankfully there were some of those too, but great finally to see the pair of them lurking in dangerous positions. Doesn't sound like rocket science but it hasn't always happened (same goes for Holland being advanced enough to take advantage of Hahnemann's fumble).

2. Such an exciting attacking display was produced without a certain very young midfielfer. Just a few weeks ago I couldn't see how we could possibly play without him. Maybe now, especially with Ambrose nearly ready, he can develop at a more reasonable pace. What a secret weapon to have!

3. We know there'll be disappointments, but at least with 6 goals in two home games, the players shouldn't feel as nervous and inhibited at The Valley as they did at times last year (boo-boys take note).

4. Both our strikers are currently out-scoring Birmingham's nightclub king!

Comments

• All good points.

As for the centre midfield, i was convinced Racon and Shelvey were the pair for this season. Saw a great performance from two others on Saturday though.

And all the cleanshorts ribbing Matty H has got before for not getting booked, well in all three games this season i've seen him throw himself into potential leg-breaking challenges, very rare for a player just back from injury and older in the game.
  • I was really concerned by Racon's injury, having started so well. I spent 5 minutes explaining to a new onlooker how Holland meant well but wouldn't possibly win us a game - about 10 mins before he scored. As others have said, Bailey allowed Holland to be industrious without his usual constraints, and the two of them in the engine rom made playing with 2 wingers a little safer.
  • edited August 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Paddy7[/cite]I was really concerned by Racon's injury, having started so well. I spent 5 minutes explaining to a new onlooker how Holland meant well but wouldn't possibly win us a game - about 10 mins before he scored. As others have said, Bailey allowed Holland to be industrious without his usual constraints, and the two of them in the engine rom made playing with 2 wingers a little safer.

I have heard a lot of people say that Bailey allowed Holland to be industrious etc etc. My lone opinion is that Holland was the player that allowed Bailey to play and not vice versa
  • "My lone opinion is that Holland was the player that allowed Bailey to play and not vice versa"

Quite possibly, Brunello. We all know MH will put his shift in. It was just nice to see it in different areas, not simply shuffling the ball harmlessly back where it came from. Clearly they complimented each other well - long may it continue
  • I think what we saw was Holland needing only to play his own game ........ rather than desperately trying to plug all the holes himself, caused by an unbalanced and dysfunctional midfield.
  • oggy once again spot on i wish you wouldnt be so bloody right all the time :-)

me and you founder members of the mh apreciation society and atlast he may find recognition on here
  • Quite right Paddy7.

The only down side is I can't think of anything to moan about, it was such a positive attacking display.
  • Whether it was Bailey allowing Holland to play or vice versa the fact is Holland looked more effective on Saturday than he has since his first season when he played in a midfield with Parker, Jensen, Stuart and occasionally Kishishev.

That year he scored 6 goals, approx 1 goal every 6 games. If he can get say 8 goals from midfield then we may not miss ZZ as much as I thought if and when he leaves.
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]

me and you founder members of the mh apreciation society and atlast he may find recognition on here

Hehee, NLA ......what d'you reckon - Matt Holland for Player of the Year?
    About time he won some recognition ....(!)

Len,
    1 in the bag, 7 goals to go but only 43 games to score them in.

;o)
  • Good as Saturday's display was with Bailey at the heart of midfield, I'd still be disappointed if MH played the whole season. ZZ would score shed-loads with a decent tackler behind him (Bailey) but it seems he is on his way (will he get another work permit tho'?) Shelvey could rotate with Ambrose as an alternative, but I think our best pairing is yet to come, Bailey with Harry Arter who excites me more than Shelvey.
  • Sponsored links:

• Arter needs to get fit first, and probably go out on loan. He seems to be a bit injury prone, even going back 2 years when he was going to make his debut against Carlisle but got injured. Last season he was going to go on loan, and again got injured.

Josh Wright should have a part to play this season, just wait until he plays well and Pardew praises him and says its like a new signing and he surprised him.
  • Arter's problem has been an Achillies rupture - and consequently out since January.
    I wouldn't really regard him as injury prone - just victim of a one-off major injury.

I agree with you about Josh Wright, Sco - a pleasant surprise waiting to happen.

His manager last season while on loan to Barnet, reckoned the boy was pure quality and destined to play in the Prem.
    Sounds like a decent future for an 18 year old.

I do hope he gets a decent chance. And with Charlton(!)
  • It seems to me that now we have a quality ball-winning midfielder we now have space to accomodate a proper attacking midfielder. Ambrose/Shelvey/Wright could easily fulfill that role if Zheng goes. Holland played well Saturday but something about using "holland" and "attacking midfielder" in the same sentence makes me feel uneasy!

Personally I hope Zheng does go as it will give our young prospects a chance at some point.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]Personally I hope Zheng does go as it will give our young prospects a chance at some point.

Yeah CM is easily our strongest 'youth' position. As mentioned we have Shelvey, Wright and Arter, but after them we still have Yussuff and Jensen, who might not be as good, but are still decent players.

Can see Solly getting a chance eventually as well, sounds like he played well in that reserve friendly against Swindon today.

Noticed Tamer Tuna came on for the reserves again, as he has done a lot recently, got a feeling he might be the next promising player coming through. And he's a striker, haven't had one coming through the youth team and into the first team since Charlie MacDonald.
  • Quirky twist time: Jon Fortune was always a striker for the youth team, played up front alongside Derek Hales' boy.
  • is there anything you don't know oggy?
  • Yep, fraid so, little sis ..... I don't know when to quit and just go to bed!

:o)
  • amen to that!