Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Hoolahan - in Pards we trust.

edited August 2008 in General Charlton
For those who were lambasting Pardew and the club for not signing the Irish winger, take a look at this:

Norwich City manager Glenn Roeder has sounded a stern warning to summer signing Wes Hoolahan that he must do a lot better if he is to stay in the first team.
Irish winger Hoolahan starred for Championship rivals Blackpool last season before making the move to Carrow Road, but has not made a great start to his Canaries career and has been publicly bashed by his manager after being taken off in Saturday’s 2-2 draw at Cardiff City.
Roeder feels Hoolahan was responsible for The Bluebirds’ opener and replaced him at half-time, after which Norwich went on to earn a 2-2 draw, and now Roeder says Hoolahan must work harder if he is to succeed in Norfolk.
“He is not injured - he got taken off because I wasn't happy with his performance and he has to do better in training this week to get a place in the team next week,” Roeder said in The Norfolk Eastern Daily Press.
“I think it is a whole new ball game for Wes Hoolahan at Norwich, where it is a much bigger club than Blackpool.
“I think at Blackpool he was the star of the show and I think he was allowed to basically do what he wants.
“Well, no, not here - he will play my way or he won't play.”
The former West Ham and Newcastle manager added on Cardiff’s opener: “It was a bad goal to give away from our point of view. Wes Hoolahan will be very disappointed and he got told that at half-time.
“I knew what he was trying to do, he was trying to lift the ball away from the defender and jump at the same time - you can't do that. It is a 50-50 tackle, you have to win the ball - you have to make the tackle.
“He almost looks like he is jumping out of the way not to get injured and that's totally unacceptable - and Wes has been told that, he understands that.
“He did that again in the first half and I wasn't happy with his performance and that's why he got taken off.”

Comments

• ha ha well done Pards
  • I've just had a look at the goal that Hoolahan was apparently responsible for, and I've got to say its harsh to blame him for that. It was a 50-50 challenge he should have put a harder challenge for, but it happened far inside the Cardiff half, and after that the ball was passed through the Norwich midfield without challenge, then one defender missed an interception, then the other defender got turned inside out.

i suspect Roeder was unhappy with his performance, but to blame him for the goal seems to be a bit unfair!

Still, I always knew he was rubbish and I'm glad we didn't sign him :)
  • I can just visualise that "challenge" now. Not too difficult when you've watched our Dennis in action really.
  • more like Roeder is another 'great manager', why do they insist in airing dirty linen in public- bizarre man management technique methinks..
  • Reading between the lines it sounds like he might have a bit of an attitude problem - and we've certainly had enough of that in recent years.

Roeder: “I think at Blackpool he was the star of the show and I think he was allowed to basically do what he wants."
  • Why has this thread posted twice?

Sorry folks.
  • I can't help but chuckle when Roeder acts 'tough'.

Reminds me of Sweetchuck from Police Academy !
  • Maybe he just had a bad game...
  • edited August 2008
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]I can't help but chuckle when Roeder acts 'tough'.

Roeder - The man who got a team containing the likes of Carrick, Joe Cole, Di Canio etc etc relegated. A mate of mine knew one of the Hammers players in the squad that year, he said when Trevor Brooking took over it was like a light being switched on.
  • Sponsored links:

• My description of Roeder from May 07 still stands..

http://www.charltonlife.com/blog/?p=117

eye opening to see how many are no longer with those clubs !
  • He's an awful manager, and a weasel of a man. Could you imagine him trying to motivate you? With his little weasel face? I think I'd just be thinking "stop talking to me, stop talking to me, go away now. please. thank you."
  • looks like we are finally getting a bit of luck... pards opting for the Bailey lad instead..
  • am sure i commented on this thread. odd.
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]am sure i commented on this thread. odd.

you have
  • [cite]Posted By: trickyrickycafc[/cite]Here's the link if anyone wants to see it

Watching the goal he should have made the tackle, but the defenders should have dealt with it better. You can see what he tried to do though, like a lot of wingers would, keep the ball in and possibly create a chance from it.
  • David Beckham against Brazil comes to mind in the World Cup.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]He's an awful manager, and a weasel of a man. Could you imagine him trying to motivate you? With his little weasel face? I think I'd just be thinking "stop talking to me, stop talking to me, go away now. please. thank you."

Hamster Scamsters, in their glorious relegation season, used to call him Glen Rodent
  • Good spot, Valley11. Surprises me as apart from his skill, I thought he worked really hard against us, even for a lost cause (at home). Roeder did a good job for Norwich last season but not sure how well such a public attack on a new signing will go down. He does somehow just seem to irritate people with his over-defensive demeanour.
  • Roeder obviously learned that from his skipper at Newcastle .....?
  • Sponsored links:

• I've said this before I'd have Hoolahan over any of our 'wingers'.

£250k was all he cost.

In Pards We Trust - my arse.
  • I was under the impression that it wasn't because of us that he didn't come here, but more to do with his own decision.

I could be wrong though and am ready to be corrected!