Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alan C's current predicament

2»

Comments

• Options
    Who cares about his predicament, certainly not me, perhaps justice over the Tevez affair is finally coming home to roost.

My only concern is Charlton, nuts to West Ham and their problems.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Don't be silly Smudge.

Its Hammeroids
    Ahem - this is funny. ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]sorry missed a game:

Calum Davenport - paid £3m 18/01/07 and been injured for much of his time there, playing just 8 League games to date. Those 8 games read as follows:
    v Newcastle Drew 2-2
    v Liverpool Lost 1-2
    V Aston Villa Lost 1-0
    v Watford Lost 1-0
    v Charlton Lost 4-0
    v Tottenham Lost 4-3
    v Wigan Won 2-1
    v Man City Lost 3-0

Played 8 Won 1 Drawn 1 Lost 6 Conceded 18 - and look at some of the teams they've lost to with Davenport at the back!

Well, he wouldn't have played since last January ........ didn't he break his neck or something playing on loan for Watford against Charlton?

Remember seeing him stretchered off.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Don't be silly Smudge.

Its Hammeroids
    Ahem - this is funny. ;-)
    ??
  • Options
    Just sour (bunch of) grapes ........
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]oohaah, one question.

If Curbishley had stayed, do you honestly believe we would of stayed up that season ?

I do AFKA. We may have just scraped it but I think he would have kept us up. I think Dowie needed longer to be honest and maybe he'd have turned things around but clearly the Board lost confidence in him. We only needed a couple of wins and we'd have done it. I think Curbs single/bloodymindedness would have made the difference.

As for those who feel cool towards him since his departure I would say, understandable as that is, don't be too small minded about his apparent shunning of all things Charlton. In a few years time when he's retired, He'll be back with rekindled fondness for our club. He has gone to the club he supported as a boy and from which he lived round the corner. I don't begrudge him the chance to manage the team he supported. Most of us would give our eye teeth for such an opportunity. He was a major part of the most successful "team" this club has had since the days of Jimmys Seed and Trotter. I will never forget that and for giving me the greatest footballing day out ever.
  • Options
    Dowie largely got the boot cos of his signings apparently.
  • Options
    well said bing that man
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]I will never forget that and for giving me the greatest footballing day out ever.

I thought Pardew gave us that on Saturday? ;)

As for Curbishley, I don't think anyone will forget what he did here. By the time he went, it was time for a change for man and club. Unfortunately we'll never know what he could have done if he had stayed and where we would be now. The fact is he did go and we got relegated.

Curbishley will forever be a legend at CAFC, and in years time he will be looked back on as one of CAFC's greatest managers. I think it is still too soon for us to properly realise that now, and that he is at West Ham who have behaved dubiously in the last couple of years is likely to sour the relationship we have with curbs in the short term.

In 10 years plus, none of that will matter and he'll rightly be looked back on with the respect the job he did here deserves.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]oohaah, one question.

If Curbishley had stayed, do you honestly believe we would of stayed up that season ?

I do AFKA. We may have just scraped it but I think he would have kept us up. I think Dowie needed longer to be honest and maybe he'd have turned things around but clearly the Board lost confidence in him. We only needed a couple of wins and we'd have done it. I think Curbs single/bloodymindedness would have made the difference.

As for those who feel cool towards him since his departure I would say, understandable as that is, don't be too small minded about his apparent shunning of all things Charlton. In a few years time when he's retired, He'll be back with rekindled fondness for our club. He has gone to the club he supported as a boy and from which he lived round the corner. I don't begrudge him the chance to manage the team he supported. Most of us would give our eye teeth for such an opportunity. He was a major part of the most successful "team" this club has had since the days of Jimmys Seed and Trotter. I will never forget that and for giving me the greatest footballing day out ever.

All commendable and sensible comments Bing, but why should we care about his current predicament, regardless of his success with us, I personally couldn't give one iota, neither should we, he's moved on, so should we, everything else is if's & but's.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Curbs is in bed with someone else now .......

;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]All commendable and sensible comments Bing, but why should we care about his current predicament, regardless of his success with us, I personally couldn't give one iota, neither should we, he's moved on, so should we, everything else is if's & but's.

A perfectly reasonable position to take DA9, each to his/her own. This is a forum about Charlton, he was our second longest serving manager and the most successful in the modern era therefore his predicament is a legitimate subject to discuss in my opinion.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Curbs is in bed with someone else now .......

;o)

I think you can still care about an ex girl friend even if she's with the bloke down the road.

I met Curbs on three occasions when I managed to get Wyn Grants seat at the sponsors evening and as dour as he comes across on TV he is warm and friendly in person.

What annoys me about his current predicament is that he will get sacked because the press have decided he will get sacked and are campaigning for that result.

ompared to most managers he is tactically pretty astute and given the money that Dowie had, he would have produced a reasonable team that would have finished mid table and we all would have moaned at how boring it was.... chance would have been a fine thing.
  • Options
    well said Kap.
  • Options
    I am with oohaa on this one i never wanted curbs to leave ever ever ever, i wanted him to stay get given shed loads of cash (that we could afford) and take us onto a higher plain, playing whatever style of footie that meant to get us there so that my son wouldnt have to endure the taunts of charlton who and do you know the other charlton fan,

when he left bar the playoff day i have never ever felt an emotion like it, i hated it i could see what happened coming, yes the squad he left wasnt good and i understand that some hold him in a way parsially responsible for our demise (i dont) a whole season to get clear of trouble with the right man at the helm we got relegated because of 2 mistakes made at board level with regards to appointments, some could say 3 if you include Pards

as to would we have stayed up i think so but we will never know.

I want west spam to struggle cos i think its funny when any london club is struggling as it is rivalry we all know someone who supports them

would i have him back

no as i dont believe you should go back in football but i have nothing but thanks for the man who gave me my greatest footballing memories
  • Options
    some great posts here dudes.
  • Options
    I believe he would have kept us up,but people always harp on about young and up coming managers not getting big jobs,well look what happened to Big Sam and now Curbs,do you want really want that bigger job?
  • Options
    That's why Pards came to Charlton.......
  • Options
    Hammers very quiet in the transfer window. More outs than ins.Wasn't they supposed to be breaking into the top 4 this season?

billionaire owners finally realised that running a club costs an absolute fortune with no guaranteed returns.I sometimes wonder how these people make all this money.