Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

bbc londons charlton "coverage"

edited August 2008 in General Charlton
I am pretty sure that I am not the only one who thinks that BBC London's coverage of Charlton is frankly piss poor, it has always been pretty crap what with breaking off commentary of a Charlton attack for a 5 minute report on the Arsenal ballboy's annual conker contest and other such guff.
Surely though this season things have sunk to an all time desperate new low, Fm coverage is generally always yer actual West 'am and dab coverage which unless someone can confirm otherwise is infact nothing more than Tom Watt prattling on about the colour of the sky, the smell of the burgers, his favourite records and anything else that has a distinctly Premier League flavour(what is he actually doing???). Then of course we could if we were working at BBC kent recieve coverage in their sound room because it seems that no one even in Kent can get the bloody coverage.
So in a nutshell what radio coverage do we actually have from this deal with the BBC? It does seem rather odd to me as when we were in the top echelon every time I tuned into BBC London all they seemed concerned with was the Coca Cola does anyone here know anyone who can shed light on this farsical situation?

Comments

• Options
    Can't shed no light on this but fully agree with you.
  • Options
    there not interested in us..... end of
  • Options
    mascot88 I think you are spot on... sadly.
  • Options
    I can't shed any light, but it is baffling - not least because West Ham v Blackburn was also the featured game on 5 Live.

I think there's a broader issue with BBC London having too many radio rights, not least because there isn't the competition - the commercial stations have given up on commentaries. LBC haven't done it for donkey's years, Capital Gold (and Xfm) gave up two or three years back, and Talksport dropped their London opt-out a few years back.

Which leaves you with one station trying to serve a load of clubs - and clearly doing it badly. Even if they're just trying to chase the audience, doing West Ham (at home!!!) when 5 Live are doing it as well is insane. If I was them, I'd prioritise the Championship sides and cover us/Palace/QPR aways, and maybe the odd Prem game if it isn't being covered elsewhere.

But I guess they don't want to be seen as an "inferior" station to 5 Live, fit only for second-tier commentaries.. yet by continually following what 5 Live does, that's all they are ever going to be.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: miserableold-ish git[/cite]Can't shed no light on this but fully agree with you.

Also agree - I live a long way from London and have to rely on either my sky box and before that it was Hallam FM/Radio Sheffield if any of the six local clubs (i.e. the five South Yorks ones plus Chesterfield) ever played away at Charlton. I think Hallam FM are another one of these commercial stations that has given up on commentaries (though I wouldn't know for sure as I gave up on Hallam 11 years ago - I now always listen to Real Radio)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Charlie Block[/cite]

I now always listen to Real Radio

The trouble with Real Radio is that it's Madrid, Madrid, Madrid all the time. No one else ever gets a look in.
  • Options
    I don't know where people get to sometimes - this has been gone over and over many times.

There is no radio coverage because they haven't got the rights - it's that simple.

If you want to listen to any Championship team live on the radio then you have to pay 'Premium' - go to any club website apart from Charlton or Southampton to do so.
  • Options
    well seeing as we aint going anywhere let's le them have the feckin rights
  • Options
    Jimmy - That's the Internet rights. I think Pilchard was talking about actual FM radio transmissions to start with.

With regard to the Internet rights - Steve Waggott has apparently done a deal (to be announced shortly) to enable us to get the commentaries (at a price). TelInOz knows the details.
  • Options
    To the best of my knowledge there is no debate about the current bbc london coverage.This has not been done many many times considering that the season has just started. Charlton do have a deal with bbc london which leaves one to think maybe just maybe one day there will be a live commentary, not to much to ask really, so why bbc london's coverage is so bad is I feel a valid question. 2 frequencies covering 1 match and Tom Watt talking giberish is not really comprehensive coverage of any aspect of London football whether Charlton are covered or not.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    we just want the away games (from a selfish point of view) to go to a local station like time.
  • Options
    Pilchard - there was major debate throughout most of last season about the loss of the internet commentary. You're right to question the choice of game being broadcast by BBC London, but what can we do? The club are in the situation of having to sell everything they can to the highest bidder. Once that bidder has handed over their cash, they can pick & choose which games they broadcast (if any).

Yes, it would be nice if Time FM were able to buy the rights, but they simply don't have the money to outbid the BBC. I think this is something you need to raise with the BBC rather than the club. After all, it's licence fee moneythat they're effectively wasting.
  • Options
    I think that other stations could cover games (i.e. Time) but there is a large cost involved. For a station like Time with little budget they would need to get a programme sponsor. In theses days of the "credit crunch" it's as much as they can do to cover the running costs let alone sponsoring individual programmes.
  • Options
    now where's that Gary Sargeant jingle.
  • Options
    Fair point F-blocker sir and one I accept regarding the selling of the jewels etc, I am a newbie to your august site but I have seen the debates about the internet rights etc but I felt that after scouring the airwaves radio not intraweb and ending up frustrated that I would canvas opinion of you chaps and see what the general concensus was! As you say it was the waste of the fm and dab situation that urks somewhat. I am of sufficiant numptieness to have a pop at the beeb also to find out what they are doing for my club and with my shillings!
  • Options
    I managed to get the fiull 90 minute coverage alright.

then again, I bothered to drivethe 520 mile round trip to watch the game..
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Charlie Block[/cite]

I now always listen to Real Radio

The trouble with Real Radio is that it's Madrid, Madrid, Madrid all the time. No one else ever gets a look in.

lol. However, I listen to the station for music - not sport. It does have evening sports shows - for south and west yorkshire football and rugby league teams. However it did have live commentary on one or two dingles games last season.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]I managed to get the fiull 90 minute coverage alright.

then again, I bothered to drivethe 520 mile round trip to watch the game..[/quote]

Good on yer Golfie. Your'e entitled to the occasional moan if you go to that amount of trouble.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    [cite]Posted By: queensland_addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]I managed to get the fiull 90 minute coverage alright.

Good on yer Golfie. Your'e entitled to the occasional moan if you go to that amount of trouble.

Occasional moan....'OCCASIONAL'......Jeezuz H Christ, don't encourage the miserable sod....... FFS!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: queensland_addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]I managed to get the fiull 90 minute coverage alright.

Occasional moan....'OCCASIONAL'......Jeezuz H Christ, don't encourage the miserable sod....... FFS!!

Oh come on Soundas, Golfie does only moan occasionally!! ................................about once a week, that's occasionally in my book .
    ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    good for you golf addick! maybe I should thumb a lift next time!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]good for you golf addick! maybe I should thumb a lift next time![/quote]

Thumb a lift!
    - you'd need a chequered flag at the speed he drives.
  • Options
    Just to say an alternative is radio Kent on 744khz, I live in Peckham south London and picked up saturdays commentry from them.
  • Options
    very tricky to find if you can actually pick it up at all, I managed the odd bit in the car on Sat.
  • Options
    "odd bit in the car" aint that called DOGGIN these days ?
  • Options
    yeah with the Charlton commentary on too, now that is odd...
  • Options
    I managed to listen to the 2nd half Saturday on DAB Radio Kent...was actually pretty good.....but there again I have moved a bit nearer to Maidstone....lol

I'll try and get an update tomorrow on whats happening with the internet commentary...think they might be busy today somehow.
  • Options
    no mate its gotta be Wagner Ride of the Valkaries !
  • Options
    Get rid of Tom Watt in the programme and bring back the bloke who did it before. he was excellent he was.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Get rid of Tom Watt in the programme and bring back the bloke who did it before. he was excellent he was.

Who was it?:-)