Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Top Five Songs of.... The Rolling Stones

Comments

• Options
    Watched Shine a Light on the plane back to Bangkok. Worth a look for all Stones fans.

My five:

Gimme Shelter (seems the most popular; in most lists)
    Sympathy For The Devil
    Midnight Rambler
    Brown Sugar
    'Jumpin' Jack Flash
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]No one mentioned Far Away Eyes from 1978's Some Girls LP.

Great song.

Loved this country spoof
    "I was driving home early sunday morning through bakersfield
    Listening to gospel music on the colored radio station
    And the preacher said, 'you know you always have the
    Lord by your side'

And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
    Twenty red lights in his honor.
    Thank you jesus, thank you lord."
  • Options
    Brown Sugar
    Sympathy for the Devil
    Gimme Shelter
    Only Rock 'n Roll
    You Can't Always Get What You Want
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving

4.Sympathy for the Devil - 9 mins of funky soul abut Lucifer - Why the Stones were better then the Beatles[/cite][/quote][cite]

Who is better the Stones or the Beatles was, is and always will be the wrong question. The right question is, who was better the Monkees or The Kinks? If you're a school kid the answer should be The Monkees as they were an entertainment force the likes of which had never been seen before (despite being totally manufactured). If you're an adult the answer should be The Kinks as they wrote better songs than the other 60s/70s groups put together, with the possible exception of Pink Floyd.[/cite][/quote]

yes the Kinks wrote great songs. Not sure how Pink Floyd got in there but this month's Uncut magazine has the top 30 Pink Floyd songs.

I like the Monkees too but they never did Waterloo Sunset[/quote]

I think you have to separate Syd's Floyd from post-Syd Floyd.
    To me Syd was Ray Davies only rival as a writer of quintessential "English" pop/rock.

Anyway, we digress.

My top 5 Stones:-

Jumping Jack Flash
    Paint it Black
    Sympathy for the Devil
    Street Fighting Man
    Get off of my Cloud (I don't care that it was "only" Satisfaction's follow-up- to my young self it spoke of the generation gap and anti-establishment. How close could you get to saying "F*ck Off" on a record in 1965?)
  • Options
    Tumbling Dice
    Gimme Shelter
    Happy (Keith...)
    Wild Horses
    Street Fighting Man
  • Options
    Little Red Rooster
    Let's Spend the Night Together
    Country Honk
    You Can't Always Get What You Want
    It's off the Hook

A couple off them probably aren't their best but do hold certain '60s memories for me!
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    5. Brown sugar
    4. Satisfaction
    3. Midnight rambler (live version)
    2. Gimme shelter
    and
    1. as a backing band for John Lee Hooker.........
    my favourite version of a great song............
    with a YouTube clip below......
    Boogie Chillen

Boogie Chillen
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]No one mentioned Far Away Eyes from 1978's Some Girls LP.

Great song.[/quote]

I am with you on that one...
  • Options
    Gimme Shelter - even the intro is amazing.
    You cant always get what you want.
    Angie
    Wild Horses
    Waitin on a friend.
  • Options
    It's All Over Now - The Valentinos
    Come On - Chuck Berry
    Maybe The Last Time - The Staple Singers
    Little Red Rooster - Howlin' Wolf
    You Better Move On - Arthur Alexander

are just some of the GREAT ORIGINAL versions of songs that the rolling stones cynically covered, and in most cases, tried to pass off as their own, unlike The Beatles who championed constantly the great originals they were covering, around the same time, by the original American artists, even to the extent of telling their fans to seek out and listen to them. ( Please see Paul McCartney's liner notes on the second Four Tops album).
    One very good reason why Paul and George, especially, are held in such high regard by Soul and R 'n' B fans in the UK.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Certainly tried to claim last time although I thought it was an old gospel song rather than a Staples Singers (great group) original.

As for George I'm not sure the Chiffons would agree with you on his sourcing of others songs ; - )
  • Options
    Point taken re the Chiffons, Henry, although I can forgive George anything, as it was he, along with the legendary Record Mirror scribe and later a record producer,(Black Sabbath?) Tony Hall, who constantly pestered the jocks on the pirate radio ships to promote Harlem Shuffle by Bob and Earl which became a huge club (and years later a top ten hit)floor filler in the mid '60's.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Yes, based on a 1955 Staples' song called This May Be The Last Time on Vee Jay.

But the song was credited to Jagger/Richards on the label when the Stones released it as a single, though, and it still is to this day.

The other covers Mistrollingin mentions were all credited to the original writers at the time.

The only other major dispute over Stones' songwriting credits I am aware of was Sister Morphine. It took Marianne Faithfull more than 20 years to get her name added to the writing credits alongside Jagger/Richards.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mistrollingin[/cite]Point taken re the Chiffons, Henry, although I can forgive George anything, as it was he, along with the legendary Record Mirror scribe and later a record producer,(Black Sabbath?) Tony Hall, who constantly pestered the jocks on the pirate radio ships to promote Harlem Shuffle by Bob and Earl which became a huge club (and years later a top ten hit)floor filler in the mid '60's.

You old soul boy, Mistrollingin'

I was a bit young at the time so don't know but maybe it was due to Lennon and McCartney already being succesfull songwriters while Loog-Oldham had to forced Jagger and Richards to start writing. Credit to George and Paul though. Did you ever see that programme about Lennon's mobile juke box. He had this mini record player with all these great 50s and 60s soul/blues/rock singles on it. Could hear a lot of Beatles songs in them.

Certainly House of the Rising Sun was a traditional song which came out as "trad arranged Alan Price" much to the annoyance of the rest of the group when felt they had arranged their parts but he got all the cash.

Still, publishers and white artist ripping off Black artists isn't a shock.
  • Options
    John Lennon's jukebox
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In 1989, John Lennon's jukebox surfaced in an auction of Beatles memorabilia at Christie's, and was sold for £2,500 ($4,907) to Bristol-based music promoter John Midwinter. Lennon had apparently bought the jukebox – specifically a Swiss KB Discomatic – in 1965, and filled it with forty singles to take with him on tour. Midwinter spent several years restoring the box and researching the discs catalogued in Lennon's spidery handwriting. When Midwinter developed cancer, and his health began to deteriorate, his desire to see the player featured in some kind of documentary became all the more important.

The story finally reached its wider public in 2004, when The South Bank Show broadcast a documentary on the jukebox in which many of the represented artists, along with Sting, were asked to comment. Developed by Steve Jansen for the UK television production company Initial, headed by Malcolm Gerrie, the project took longer than was hoped to get picked up. A fact that was rendered all the more poignant when the show was commissioned mere days after Midwinter died. A compilation album was also released, containing thirty-four of the singles' A-sides and seven of their B-sides.

XM Satellite Radio's "'60s On 6" channel featured Lennon's jukebox singles as an insight to the Beatle's personal taste in pop music and Mr. Midwinter's passion for the jukebox.
    Contents

The 2004 Compilation album named John Lennon's Jukebox contains several songs that are believed to be part of John Lennon's original choice. However the compilation album is labelled as "a collection inspired by music from his own collection" and some of the songs on the album are different versions from the ones that could have been included in the jukebox. The version of "Some Other Guy" by The Big Three, for instance, is not the one that was in the original jukebox but a mid-1970s recording by the same group.

Disc one

1. "In the Midnight Hour" by Wilson Pickett
    2. "Rescue Me" by Fontella Bass
    3. "The Tracks of My Tears" by Smokey Robinson and the Miracles
    4. "My Girl" by Otis Redding
    5. "1, 2, 3" by Len Barry
    6. "Hi-Heel Sneakers" by Tommy Tucker
    7. "The Walk" by Jimmy McCracklin
    8. "Gonna Send You Back to Georgia" by Timmy Shaw
    9. "First I Look at the Purse" by The Contours
    10. "New Orleans" by Gary US Bonds
    11. "Watch Your Step" by Bobby Parker
    12. "Daddy Rollin' Stone" by Derek Martin
    13. "Short Fat Fannie" by Larry Williams
    14. "Long Tall Sally" by Little Richard
    15. "Money (That's What I Want)" by Barrett Strong
    16. "Hey! Baby" by Bruce Channel
    17. "Positively 4th Street" by Bob Dylan
    18. "Daydream" by The Lovin' Spoonful
    19. "Turquoise" by Donovan
    20. "Slippin' and Slidin'" by Buddy Holly

[edit] Disc two

1. "Be-Bop-A-Lula" by Gene Vincent
    2. "No Particular Place to Go" by Chuck Berry
    3. "Steppin' Out" by Paul Revere & the Raiders
    4. "Do You Believe in Magic" by The Lovin' Spoonful
    5. "Some Other Guy" by The Big Three*
    6. "Twist and Shout" by The Isley Brothers
    7. "She Said, Yeah" by Larry Williams
    8. "Brown Eyed Handsome Man" by Buddy Holly
    9. "Slippin' and Slidin'" by Little Richard
    10. "Quarter to Three" by Gary US Bonds
    11. "Ooh! My Soul" by Little Richard
    12. "Woman Love" by Gene Vincent
    13. "Shop Around" by The Miracles
    14. "Bring It on Home to Me" by The Animals
    15. "If You Gotta Make a Fool of Somebody" by James Ray with the Hutch Davie Orchestra
    16. "What's So Good About Goodbye" by The Miracles
    17. "Bad Boy" by Larry Williams
    18. "Agent Double-O Soul" by Edwin Starr
    19. "I've Been Good to You" by The Miracles
    20. "Oh I Apologize" by Barrett Strong
    21. "Who's Lovin' You" by The Miracles
  • Options
    Thanks Nigel. I am well aware that the writing credits were, mostly, correct, it's the way jagger and co gave virtually no verbal credit to the originals.The late Dave Godin, the writer and owner of Soul City Records who introduced Tamla Motown to Britain and also coined the phrases "Northern Soul" and "Deep Soul", used to tell the story of how, during rehearsals for a "Ready Steady Go" show, was begged by jagger to introduce him to Marvin Gaye. Godin, who by this time, knew most of the Motown singers personally politely told him to "F**K Off". Godin also later admitted, to his eternal regret, that it was he who had introduced jagger to Blues music when they were both pupils at Dartford Grammer School.
  • Options
    Many thanks for your responses, Henry. John Lennon's Jukebox, well, I wouldn't complain if those were the only songs I could listen to for the rest of my days! Some of my all time favourites on there. My Girl by Otis Redding, the first soul 45 I ever bought, in Cole's Record shop in Bexleyheath. I still have it on black Atlantic, still sends shivers down the spine, even now. Love the Temptations original, but Otis's version has all the memories.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mistrollingin[/cite]Many thanks for your responses, Henry. John Lennon's Jukebox, well, I wouldn't complain if those were the only songs I could listen to for the rest of my days! Some of my all time favourites on there. My Girl by Otis Redding, the first soul 45 I ever bought, in Cole's Record shop in Bexleyheath. I still have it on black Atlantic, still sends shivers down the spine, even now. Love the Temptations original, but Otis's version has all the memories.

I love discovering those sort of tracks and artists. About five years ago heard "when will we be paid" by the Staple Singers for the first time. Hadn't even heard about them I'm ashamed to say. Got a great double CD of their stuff on Kent records.

Coincidently it was a free CD with Mojo or Uncut compiled by Keith Richards of old soul and blues so maybe he's got better in old age in terms of giving credit.

Going to hunt down the few of those on that LP I dont have
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Yes, I knew Dave Godin and wrote an obit of him in The Times when he died in 2004.

You will find the full story behind many of the Stones' early covers in the 28 page booklet I wrote for the box set, ''The Rolling Stones Singles 1963-65'', released in 2004 and which collected their first 12 45 rpms and reissued them as CD singles, complete with reproductions of the original labels and sleeves. I was ridiculously flattered to be described on the box as ''Rolling Stones historian'' - which I'm really not at all! Dave G was a true historian; I'm just a fan of 45 years standing who has been lucky enough to interview them on numerous occasions.

But I'm not sure it is fair to say that Jagger gave ''no verbal credit to the originals.'' For example, in the booklet about the 63-65 singles I qoute Jagger's shocked words on his return from the Stones'first visit to the US : ''The kids had never heard of Muddy Waters. They've got the greatest blues singer living among them and they don't even know.'' He was going out of his way to big up Muddy.

Similarly,in 1965 the Stones made it a condition of their appearance on Ready Steady Go! that Howlin'Wolf was also added to the show. You can find the footoage on YouTube and it shows Jagger sitting at Wolf's feet and gazing up at him with what you can only describe as awe.

When it came to not crediting their sources, Page and Plant were far worse culprits than Jagger and Richards , as you know...
  • Options
    Most stuff is relatively easy to find these days. Kent is brilliant for soul and r 'n' b reissues from that era. Let me know if you get stuck and I'll try and help. Play.com has tons of great cd's at good prices. Bought James Brown Live at the Apollo 1962 recently for a fiver!

Never had much of a problem with Richards, Bill Wyman(big Blues student )or Charlie Watts(Jazz), just MJ trying to take all the credit for everything all the bloody time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks again Nigel, now don't start me on Page and Plant! I knew Dave Godin in the late 1960's and sometimes called, unannounced, at his house in Bexleyheath to get the latest copy of a magazine called, I think, Rhythm and Soul USA. He was always helpful and had time to talk to this naive schoolboy about the music he loved and was so knowledgeable about. Later I used to read his monthly column in Blues and Soul and see him when I went to Soul City Records in Deptford High Street and later when it moved to Covent Garden. A decent man who died too young. The wonderful "Deep Soul Treasures" series are a fitting testimony to his life and achievevements
  • Options
    ''now don't start me on Page and Plant!''

I won't Mistrollingin, I won't ! But I've interviewed both of those gentlemen, too, and asked them about ripping off the black blues musicians they claimed to love and getting sued by Willie Dixon etc.

Their answers will amuse you. Plant told me that it was all Page's fault - and Jimmy told me it was all Robert's fault. Again, I tell the story of their plagiarism - complete with the quotes where they hilariously blame each other - in my book, The Rough Guide To The Blues. If you want to whisper me your address, I'll happily send you a copy of the book, as you are clearly a blues enthusiast.

We're going way off the Stones topic now, but on the Led Zep blame game, I'm more inclined to believe Plant than Page. In Dec 2006, I made a pilgrimage to Mississippi and went and visited the gráves of all the old bluesmen I could find.

When I found Sonny Boy Williamson's grave, I discovered that Plant had been there a week or so before, and had left one of his harmonicas on Sonny Boy's grave in tribute. A small recompense for all the musical theft in his youth, perhaps !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mistrollingin[/cite]Most stuff is relatively easy to find these days. Kent is brilliant for soul and r 'n' b reissues from that era. Let me know if you get stuck and I'll try and help. Play.com has tons of great cd's at good prices. Bought James Brown Live at the Apollo 1962 recently for a fiver!

Never had much of a problem with Richards, Bill Wyman(big Blues student )or Charlie Watts(Jazz), just MJ trying to take all the credit for everything all the bloody time.

I have become a great fan of the Country Soul genre - thanks in no small measure to the compilations that came out a few years ago...

Country got Soul

Thanks to Uncut (or was it Mojo??!) - I picked up the reissue of Harlan County by Jim Ford a little while back. It's a fine LP & I recommend it heartily to all of you conniseurs of fine music.
  • Options
    On the subject of songwriting credits, if memory serves, didn't Bill Wyman come up with the main riff of Jumping Jack Flash uncredited; Mick Taylor claim to have co-wrote Moonlight Mile amongst others and Ron Wood co-write It's only Rock 'n' Roll?
  • Options
    ''didn't Bill Wyman come up with the main riff of Jumping Jack Flash uncredited?''

That's how Bill remembers it. Nobody else who was there shares that recollection, though !

As for Mick Taylor, he definitely had a claim to have co-written Moonlight Mile. Keith wasn't even at the session when it was recorded, after Jagger and Taylor had worked on the song all night at Stargroves.

And it's only Rock 'n' Roll was certainly recored at Ron Wood's home studio - which isn't the same as saying he co-wrote it and he wasn''t even in the band at that point. But it's perfectly possible he may have helped come up with the riff..
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Yeh, I think I read Wymans claim in his autobiography!
    He certainly had a bee in his bonnet about it. He also whined on about Brian Jones not getting credit for his "contributions" to songs, some of which in Wyman's opinion "made" the song.
    Dave Davies whinges on in similar fashion about his supposed lack of credit for Kinks songs which he claims were often "70% collaborative".
    It's a moot point isn't it; as left to their own devices, neither Jones nor D.Davies could/can come up with anything to remotely rival Jagger/Richards or Ray Davies.
  • Options
    Gimme Shelter

A wonderful track
  • Options
    Can nigel and mistrolling have their own page please - fascinating stuff lads, thanks.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: mistrollingin[/cite]Most stuff is relatively easy to find these days. Kent is brilliant for soul and r 'n' b reissues from that era. Let me know if you get stuck and I'll try and help. Play.com has tons of great cd's at good prices. Bought James Brown Live at the Apollo 1962 recently for a fiver!

I have become a great fan of the Country Soul genre - thanks in no small measure to the compilations that came out a few years ago...

Country got Soul

Thanks to Uncut (or was it Mojo??!) - I picked up the reissue of Harlan County byJim Forda little while back. It's a fine LP & I recommend it heartily to all of you conniseurs of fine music.

Good Shout. Got two volumes of Country got Soul compilations after hearing Tony Joe White on the Robert Elms show. I hate hate by Razzy is just fantastic

Bobby Charles and Joe South, neither on the compilations, are great too.
  • Options
    I shall be ordering the above today, thanks for recommending them. Esther Phillips soulful version of the country classic "Release Me" remains one of my all time favs. Bobby Charles (not to be confused with another singer of the same name who did the original of "See You Later Alligator") and Joe South, totally agree with you.