Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Off to see Hendrix guitar auctioned this evening.

edited September 2008 in Not Sports Related
Should be a very interesting day out at The Idea Generation Gallery in Chance Street. I want to get some detailed pictures of it before it almost certainly get's whisked off to The States.
They say it could fetch as much as £1,000,000 with some really 'heavy weight' American collectors on the case!
It's the Sunburst Fender Stratocaster he set fire to at The London Astoria in 1967 and which(allegedly) has been lying around in a garage in Brighton for several years.....though I take that with just a little pinch of salt to be honest.
He was taken to hospital after the gig with minor burns...ya daft sod Jimi (I say that with the greatest respect of course)....LOL!
I saw him play three or four times at local venues circa 63/65...Bromley Court Hotel(a couple of times) and Chislehurt Caves and possibly The Glenlyn Ballrooms in Forest Hill...it was only around 25p to get in and(although a highly respected artist on the club scene at that time), no one realised they were in the prescence of a budding top drawer rock legend, which of course what he ultimately became.
God bless ya Jimi!

Comments

• Options
    LOL. Surely would have been 5 shillings rather than 25p back in the early 60s.
  • Options
    That's funny SoundAs.

My old man saw Hendrix a few times at the Bromley Court as well, along with other big names (who I can't remember at the mo).

Kind of hard to get your head round looking at the place now!
  • Options
    Chislehurst Caves still had gigs there in the 70's and 80's.
    The Sex Pistols played there in '76 . Sure Siouxsie and the Banshees and Generation X did aswell , being Chislehurst and Brockley Punks. Please Return My dog (my band; we were World famous in Deptford) played in 82(i think).
    Not sure if they still do gigs or "Elf and Safety" have pulled the plug.
  • Options
    My Uncle once told me he went to see him playing in the SE area when he was younger. Said he played for about 10 minutes before staring at the crowd, saying "I'm getting bad vibes from you", walking off and not coming back.