Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Newcastle statement

This has appeared on the NUFC website:

Official NUFC Statement: September 6

NUFC wished, at all times, to keep any dispute that it had with Kevin Keegan private.

It is therefore disappointing that information has reached the media through unnamed sources and a briefing has been given by the League Managers Association that could give rise to a misleading impression amongst the Club's fans.

Newcastle United have no desire to engage in a war of words but inaccurate reporting of factual matters and inaccurate allegations have to be corrected.

It is a fact that Kevin Keegan, on appointment on 16th January 2008, agreed to report to a Director of Football and to the Board.

It is a fact that Kevin Keegan worked within that structure from 16th January 2008 until his resignation.

It is a fact that Kevin Keegan, as manager, had specific duties in that he was responsible for the training, coaching, selection and motivation of the Team.

It is a fact that Kevin Keegan was allowed to manage his specific duties without any interference from any Board member.

It is a fact that Kevin Keegan agreed only to deal with the media in relation to Club matters relating to the Team and not to communicate with the media in relation to the acquisition or disposal of players.

It is a fact that NUFC is a business and operates, like all businesses, with financial constraints.

It is a fact that NUFC's financial constraints inform its transfer dealings.

The Board of NUFC have responsibility to ensure that the club is able to meet its commitments which include the wages and the transfer fees for players.

The structure at NUFC is clear, and has been clear from 16th January 2008.

Comments

• Options
    That's really going to help isn't it? As if those thicko Geordies will understand. They (NUFC) should just shut up and let the dust settle.

Me thinks the board doth protest too much............?
  • Options
    Sounds like open warfare!
  • Options
    It is a fact that Mike Ashley, Dennis Wise are the most hated people in Newcastle and no amount of factual statements will change that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]It is a fact that Mike Ashley, Dennis Wise are the most hated people in Newcastle and no amount of factual statements will change that.

Exactly and statements like that will only fuel the flames. Bad move, however factualy true it maybe.
  • Options
    It is a fact that Kevin Keegan, as manager, had specific duties in that he was responsible for the training, coaching, selection and motivation of the Team.

How can he do that if someone else is choosing the squad?

Wise / Ashley / Keegan dim wits...
  • Options
    Looks like one of those notices that was up in the Royal Oak. Has a portly chap been seen there drinking pints in a single gulp lately?
  • Options
    Maybe and its a big maybe, the owners might be right. I know its unfashionable at the moment to side with a board but if they are right that Keegan signed up to work with a director of football then he can have no complaints, personally I think Keegan is a useless manager and he saw this as his opportunity to escape
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: colthe3rd[/cite]Maybe and its a big maybe, the owners might be right. I know its unfashionable at the moment to side with a board but if they are right that Keegan signed up to work with a director of football then he can have no complaints, personally I think Keegan is a useless manager and he saw this as his opportunity to escape

Of course they are right. Of course Keegan signed up to all of that. However the Geordies won't see it that way.
    It's just a shame, IMO, that football has gone down this route.
  • Options
    I'm not agreeing that it is right, I think going down the "European" route of having a director of football and having a board that has so much power is right for this country but let's face it, the majority of top clubs are like this now it seems this is the new face of English football
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: colthe3rd[/cite]Maybe and its a big maybe, the owners might be right. I know its unfashionable at the moment to side with a board but if they are right that Keegan signed up to work with a director of football then he can have no complaints, personally I think Keegan is a useless manager and he saw this as his opportunity to escape

Of course they are right. Of course Keegan signed up to all of that. However the Geordies won't see it that way.
    It's just a shame, IMO, that football has gone down this route.

Interesting quotes on SSN from Ahley and Wise from September and February both saying Keegan was the man with the final say so they are at least guilty of misleading the fans. As for Keegan too high a regard of his own limited abilities. People probably don't remember that he had trouble breaking into the England team and did a runner and had to be persuaded to come back and play
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If this whole shambles has a benefit, if Wise is really in charge of the transfers, then its the first recorded instance of anyone revealing what a director of football actually does. I've always had the suspicion that its a case of jobs for the boys, and the type of position that appears at work when someone they want to keep hasn't actually got anything to do. Its the type of thing Al Murray picks up on when he goes round the audience - "What do you do squire - Director of Football? YOU PLAY GOLF ALL DAY!"
  • Options
    Not sure whats going on at Toon but it just gets to me how can someone else be in charge of transfers?? It has to be the manager. He works with the players each day and should know what hes missing etc. Do you turn up for training and your best strikers been sold and some south american has been brought in on loan that you've never heard of??

Plus how can Dennis Wise be Director of football??? Barely has the experience. I hope Newcastle crash and burn
  • Options
    fight fight fight
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]It is a fact that Mike Ashley, Dennis Wise are the most hated people in Newcastle and no amount of factual statements will change that.[/quote]

Until they win something...

It might be that Keegan signed up for all of the above, but obviously didn't understand what it meant in practice. The continental system of having a footballing director and a head coach makes some sense, but there has to be a meaningful dialogue between them and I can't see how having Dennis Wise based in London and Keegan based in Newcastle was going to work. The club are partly at fault, not for splitting the responsibilities but basing the two people so far apart that there couldn't be any effective communication.
  • Options
    It's a fact that Newcastle have messed the bed and they have a lot to do before they can clean it up. Ashley has a major problem on his hands now and his position looks untenable. Dennis the Menace will need to be fed to the wolves if Ashley's going to wriggle out of this and his prospects look equally dismal if Ashley sells. Ashley's reaping what he sowed.
  • Options
    Just caught on Sky Sports News and I may have mis heard, but I think that they said that the Turkey boss is in line to replace Keegan, that has to be a joke surely
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]Just caught on Sky Sports News and I may have mis heard, but I think that they said that the Turkey boss is in line to replace Keegan, that has to be a joke surely

Fatih Terim ?

He's one of the most respected coaches in world football. Has managed in Italy with AC Milan and Fiorentina before Turkey.
  • Options
    Yes true AFKA but wont go down well with the supporters
  • Options
    Just thinking of the press headline another turkey manages the toon
  • Options
    The problem boils down to a breakdown in relationships. Surely no Manager, even the great Hairdryer himself can operate in a financial vacuum? Clearly Keegan will have agreed a plan and budget with the Director of Football/The Board. That agreement will have looked at how they need to strengthen the squad and how much money will be available from within the clubs resources and what might need to be raised from player sales. The club will put it's own valuation on players. A problem arises though if someone comes in fairly late in the day and offers the valuation or maybe even more. The Manager should be asked for his views. Most Managers won't like selling key players unless they can get one or more players in who are as good if not better. What happens then if they can't get the player in they want but somebody is offering top money for their player or maybe the player is soon out of contract? If I were the Manager and knowing that I might have something like this sprung on me, I would have players lined up to come in but I suppose sometimes you just can't get them. I would like to think that in those circumstances the Board would not sell. Yet in Keegans case with Milner and Curbs case with Ferdinand and McCartney the Boards have done it anyway.

I seem to remember reading (it may have been in his book) that Curbs went to the Board and threatened to resign over the sale of Parker during the summer window prior to him going and for whatever reason, he stayed. I suspect he dug his heels in during the winter window but in the end it was clear he wanted to go. I also believe his view about Murphy was to keep him in the reserves rather than selling, yet sell him they did. I suspect that in the end Murray persuaded Curbs to accept the inevitable. Keegan is a proud guy with a very sensitive nature and I suspect he just wasn't prepared to listen to the Board/Wise regarding the offers that came in on players, dug his heels in and they just overruled him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    wat a nob ashley is having a massive booze party when he could give that money to charity or cafc!