Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Should Charlton go aswell after compo from West Ham ?

edited September 2008 in General Charlton
Take from the Wigan site supporters forum.

'The powers that be at Bramall Lane were backed 100% by Latics chairman Dave Whelan at the time and nothing has changed. The verdict of the tribunal is set to be revealed and it looks as though the Hammers (should Sheffield sources be correct) will be forced to pay around thirty eight million pounds in compensation to the Blades.'

Since we were relegated along with Sheff Utd aswell Watford (i think they were relegated with us). Have Charlton and Watford got a case for comp from West Ham aswell ?

Even taking them to the small claims court could give CAFC enough money to sort out those pot holes in the car park.

Comments

• Options
    i wouldn't want us to get involved we went down cos we deserved to .
  • Options
    but a team if found guilty was cheating the whole league.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]but a team if found guilty was cheating the whole league.

But West Ham's lawyers would argue that we would still have been relegated while Sheff Utd stayed up.

I guess that we could argue that if points had been deducted we might have finished third from bottom and so got a bigger payment for league position but that's about it.

I would also doubt the reliability of the info - A Wigan fans site quoting "Sheffield sources".

Is there any other evidence of this or that there is even a tribunal that is about to report?

If so does the tribunal have the power to order compensation and on what grounds? West Ham have already been "punished" for their crimes with the £5m fine.
  • Options
    we were shite we got relegated end of same with sheff utd tbh.

yes i think west spam cheated,

yes i think they should have had points deducted, they never so we must all move on,

if sheff utd get that money it will be justified to them but to others who knows
  • Options
    I think mortain was saying that WHU thought this outcome may happen - hence the selling of players etc.
  • Options
    I wouldn't like to see us join this circus , but feel we may have a case.

If we had gone to Anfield needing a win to stay up we may well have done.
  • Options
    We have a legal team. I'm sure if they thought we were in with a decent chance, we'd be pursuing?

I am completely baffled by this. By "tribunal", have West Ham and Sheffield Utd gone to arbitration over this?

I thought that the Courts had ruled that Sheff U's claims of unfairness was outside it's jurisdiction?

Does anyone know what all this is about?
  • Options
    If West Ham had been found guilty (which should have been the verdict) and had points deducted at the time....... while there were still games to play before the season ended, then that could have impacted greatly on the results of all the relegation pack's remaining games.

Therefore results, points totals and final positioning could have had a far different outcome.

The whole thing was a farce. Therefore absolutely we have a case - even if it's against FA mal-administration rather than West Ham.

But whether it's worth pursuing at this stage and getting embroiled in all the negative stuff, I'll leave others to decide.
  • Options
    But West Ham were found guilty and fined £5m during the season.

It should have been a points deduction IMHO but there you go.

We can argue all we like about "could have been different" but that won't stand up.

Has anyone got hard evidence that a tribunal exists and that it is studying this case other than internet rumours?
  • Options
    we had enogh games to go at xmas against teams we should have beaten, Can we sue the lino and Ref against Fulham, or even Thatcher at Blackburn,

Stay well away it is an argument that can not be won by us good luck to Sheff yoo howver they should have left it well alone

Yes if the points had been docked the bottom may have looked different as to wheter we would have benifited in that scenerio i highly doubt
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2008
    As far as I know there was a three man panel set up to hear Sheffield Utd's case for damages. It was held during June I believe and the result of their findings is due soon.

United were claiming damages of £30-50M.

Although the FA were involved I don't think they had direct authority over the panel and this is a separate issue to the arbitration panel that rejected United's reinstatement into the Premier League.

As some have said, there have been whispers/leaks that they have been successful in being awarded damages but whether that is all conjecture or otherwise only time will tell!
  • Options
    From the Times 9 June 2008 - So there is a panel and, contrary to what I thought, in can award compensation.

Sheffield United’s case against West Ham United will begin its hearings today in what is thought to be the first damages claim of its kind at the highest level of the sport in England.

The Yorkshire club believe that they were relegated from the top flight at the end of the 2006-07 season as a result of West Ham’s admitted breach of Premier League rules in the transfer of Carlos Tévez from Corinthians, the Brazilian club, two years ago. The Argentina forward helped to rescue West Ham from the drop as they ended the campaign three points above Sheffield United. Tévez subsequently moved to Manchester United.

Sheffield United are seeking compensation after estimating that relegation to the Coca-Cola Championship cost them £30 million. West Ham are convinced that the claim has no merit.

The dispute will be considered by a three-man panel, made up of Lord Griffiths, a former president of MCC, Sir Anthony Colman, a former High Court judge, and Robert Englehart, QC. The hearing in London is expected to last several days and the panel is likely to take a couple of weeks before announcing a judgment. It has the authority to award any penalty, including compensation.

The case will have significant ramifications and could open the floodgates for similar legal proceedings between clubs, if United win their claim.
  • Options
    If so does the tribunal have the power to order compensation and on what grounds? West Ham have already been "punished" for their crimes with the £5m fine.

If you are called Luton Town it would seem you can be punished over and over again for what amounts to the same crime (sort of...).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]But West Ham were found guilty and fined £5m during the season.

It should have been a points deduction IMHO but there you go.

Yeah but West Ham won the World Cup don't you know...
  • Options
    I would have though it would be harder to make a claim in cases where there had been a points deduction..
  • Options
    Theres an aweful lot of speculation going on. Apparently the Hamsters fans think their board is squirrelling away some money so that they can pay the compensation. I assume that West Ham could sue Terry Brown and Co for concealing the facts of this at the time the Icelanders took over? I guess it depends on what was disclosed as part of the takeover? To me though I cannot see how it's in the interests of the game in general to have compensation awarded outside the jurisdiction of the governing bodius own disciplinary panel (assuming it is)?
  • Options
    I have it on good authority that West Ham are expecting to have to pay out substantial amounts of money and the sale of recent players has been to stock pile what they think they will have to pay out.